At this stage the joyrider is very much a proof of concept. The JRK is fantastic easy, all the components work nicely together, the winch can handle the ±36° up and down easily (18-20 A consumption max. so far)! Several things will need adjustment:
- The gear ratio of the drive must be lower, i.e. the movements are too slow.
- The backlash is hilarious. The bicycle chain is not the most efficient way to drive this platform. A timing belt might be better.
- The computer needs an upgrade. The poor little Pentium®4 @ 3 GHz with rFactor @ 1920×1080, x-sim Sender and Profiler running is by far overloaded
- The second axis must be constructed. A 1DoF is not worth the effort – although it’s quite impressive how much more you feel like driving with the movement.
- Tidy up the cables and paint the rosty steel…
More to come…