1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 3DOF (Traction Loss) 50:1 motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Nicki9knuckles, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Nicki9knuckles

Nicki9knuckles Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Motion platform
    you can get the electrical diagram from this thread: https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...3dof-motor-driver-and-windows-utilities.4957/
  2. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It has been a while since I posted progress. Mostly due to the fact that it's too cold to go outside and work on anything right now. We have had a few warm days and I have been picking at the welding of the new version.

I have the traction loss platforms finished with the front rotation and 4 wheels under my seating area.
    I also welded on the universal join to the traction loss platform, and bolted it on to the upper cockpit so I can remove it to transport into the house. Also if the weight load shifts depending on anything I add to the cockput I can drill new holes at the new balence point to attach to the universal joint.

The bottom 2 photos show the front motor mounts I added last night. I put them on the front this time and
    on an angle which should give me better clearance of the rods when braking while making a turn.

I got most of this metal for cheap from my father in law. Now that I have the structure built and can see how much all this weighs I am a little nervous that the motors will have a strugle. I could have definitely used smaller tubing for all of the frame to reduce the weight without losing any of the strength, but it would've cost me a lot more. I have my fingers crossed. I guess worse case I just have to spend a bunch of money on new more powerful motors.

IMG_4319.jpeg IMG_4324.jpeg IMG_4325.jpeg
  3. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I think I am finished! Well i should say "finished" haha because I can think of lots of improvments and additons I want to make, but I am very very happy to say I feel like I have brought it to completion and now I can just have fun playing in it.

Here is a video of a few minutes in a Civic at Spa using rFactor2. I am not a good driver yet so don't judge me ;)
    Also, the squeek you hear when the traction loss swings from side to side is the skate board wheels I am using. If you have any suggestions of how I can get rid of that noise I would love to hear it.

Thanks everyone here for all the amazing help. This is an amazing community.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So one thing that I have had an issue with for quite a while even before I rebuilt this in steel was that I'm getting one of the motor shutting off when it's under heavy load occasionally. Initially, I thought this was the motor, then I thought it was the IBT-2 motor controller. I replaced the motor controllers and I was still getting the issue. So I came across this thread https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/6-dof-350w-motors-with-ibt-2-43a-h-bridge.11538/page-2 where they explain how to daisychain two motor controllers for one motor so that you double the power. I ended up doing that 2 of my motors (I haven't bothered with the traction loss motor yet because that doesn't seem to need to take as much load). Immediately seem to solve the problem. One of the other issues that I was having was that during spikes in power usually from inertia my PSU was cutting out. So I I added a second 600 W PSU and now with that plus the increased motor controller power I have not had any issues yet with my motor shutting off.
    Put it to the test last night with my buddy who is twice my size driving in the rig and he didn't have any issues. And he even crashed a few times so all three motors were moving at the same time and no cut out issues.
    I'm super happy.
  5. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If anyone reads this and follows the directions in the wiring diagram to double up the IBT-2 controllers just note that only the Motor at the top of that diagram is correct. The wiring for the one at the bottom of that diagram is incorrect, so just go by the top one.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Another interesting update:
    I bought a power supply when I first started this project months and months ago and right from the first moment I plugged in my motors, all of the motors made a super loud rumbling sound. It sounded like a truck idling. I thought this was just the way that it was for my motors. I did find it weird when I looked at other peoples videos, and their machines were completely silent. To compound this problem the power supply has a fan in it, and the fan runs constantly even when it's not under load. So I have the noise of the three motors rumbling plus the high pitched fan spinning constantly.I kind of tuned this out and got used to it.
    But, when I added the second power supply, as I talked about earlier to spread the load, this new power supply didn't make any noise. So I decided to order a second one and get rid of my original one. Now I don't have any fan buzzing at all and the interesting thing is none of my motors make a rumbling noise. They're completely silent, even when powered. So now my motion platform makes almost no noise at all.
    I'm in heaven :)
    The first power supply I had must've been sending some kind of interference to the motors and causing them to make a rumbling noise. Anyways, I thought I would share this in case anyone else is having the same problem. One thing you could try doing is replacing the power supply.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. el_marius90

el_marius90 Simracer simulador 2dof Gold Contributor

Electricista
    Balance:
    - 928Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello, first of all, congratulations on your simulator, I wanted to ask a question about the loss of traction, could you send me your configuration or give me some detail that could help me, it works on my simulator, but irregularly
  8. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    hey @el_marius90, I have the traction loss set to axis 3 ( min is a 3 DOF platform, so 1 motor handles traction loss)
    Also its set to 100, because its the only axis that motor needs to deal with.
    When you say its irregular, what do you mean? Between games? Or within the same game, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't?
  9. el_marius90

el_marius90 Simracer simulador 2dof Gold Contributor

Electricista
    Balance:
    - 928Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    hello, thanks for your answer, i managed to solve it, the problem is that i was adding yaw to my axis instead of extra1, things that happen when being a newbie hehe
  10. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Awesome, I am glad you solved it!
  11. Kenshiro27

Kenshiro27 Active Member

Balance:
    15Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Great job and compact despite the movement of loss of traction
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  13. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey all, I wanted to give an update. I mentioned this in this post https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/seized-tire-rod-ends.17838/#post-238912
    But I wanted to add it here incase anyone is taking ideas from my rig. I ended up adding some spacers where my rods attach to the upper portion of my rig so that I could keep them more in the same plane of space as the motor arms as much as possible. This is to help prevent damaging the rod ends.
    motor-arm-spacer.jpg
  14. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I guess while I am at it, I will share a few other updates that I have made:

I made little mounts for my flight sticks and they slot down inside the hollow uprights of the tubbing that holds my wheel base. (ignore my old man slippers)
    This works really well and puts the controls in a comfortable positiion and its pretty "quick release" when I want to switch back to driving in cars.
    IMG_4370.jpeg IMG_4372.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I welded together a little mouse table. This works well because the rig is moving and this keeps my mouse handy but stationary. (I need to get some padding for that seat)
    IMG_4387.jpeg IMG_4502.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I added wind! I have a lend of my friends 3d printer, and I printed off that red reducer, plus inside of it I printed off a shroud to help direct the wind. Without that inner piece I was finding the wind back firing out the back of fan. I opted to only put in one fan and vent instead of 2 because it was loud enough with just this one.
    IMG_4494 (1).jpeg IMG_4493 (1).jpeg

Here are the 3d modles I used:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2757663
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2884277
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    This is really crude but it works like a charm. Basicly my motors without power don't hold my rig level, so I needed some way to be able to keep it in position. The photo just shows one of these braces, but there is another one opposite it. Fourtunatly the steel channel worked perfect for this idea because the nose of the brace fits inside the channel and (for now) I velcro it in place. The brace then keeps the rig from moving both up AND down because of fitting the nose inside the channel. Then I ran some string from the top of the brace up to the left and right side of the wheel base so I can pull them up into place without having to bend down under the wheel. No point getting older if you don't get wiser :)
    But if anyone has a more elegant solution for this I would love to get something better in there.
    IMG_4500.jpeg IMG_4501.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
  18. itsumairu

itsumairu Active Member

Psychologist
    Balance:
    392Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi Nick, Glad to see you solved the noise problem.
    can I know what PSU that you use? I have the same problem, with my new PSU.
    a link of the product would be nice.
    Cheers!
  19. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey @itsumairu

This is the new ones I bought that only have the fan come on when needed. I am running 2 of these.