1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SMC3 Range Monitor (TM1638)

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Blame73, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,106 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I'm working on a MOD of the SMC3 Arduino code to monitor ranges on the fly.

I always wanted to know if my rig was clipping too much (when enetring Clipping Zones) or if it was too limited, depending on the game or even on the car/plane on the same game. Even more now taht my motors and levers are inside a closed box.

I connected a TM1638 module to the Arduino UNO where SMC3 is uploaded.
    On the left side of the module (left screen), it shows informations about range1 (SMC3 motor 1), on the right side about range2 (SMC3 motor 2).
    The leds for each range turn red when inside a clipping zone; the first two when inside the upper:
    2.png 3.png

the second two when inside the lower.
    4.png 5.png

The following are the pages that it can show pushing the relatives buttons.
    1. Current feedback values
      • live time feedback values
    2. Max values reached
    3. Min values reached
    4. Upper clipping zone reached counter
      • How many times we've entered the upper Clipping Zone
      • 6.png
    5. Lower clipping zone reached counter
      • How many times we've entered the lower Clipping Zone
    6. Min distance from upper clipping zone reached (negative values when inside clipping zone)
      • How far have we arrived to the upper Clipping Zone
      • If the value is negative means we went inside the Clipping Zone and tells us by how much we entered it
      • 7.png
    7. Min distance from lower clipping zone reached (negative values when inside clipping zone)
      • Same as page 6 but for the lower Clipping Zone
    8. Reset values
      • Pushing button 8 reset all values

A quinck video I just made that shows the module off my rig (sorry for my English, turn subtitles on :D)

The SMC3 version I modded is the one I had already modified to make it work with my Cytron MD30C motor controller.
    Should someone be interested into this mod I can try to modify the original SMC3 too, let me know.

A note: the TM1638 module uses (beside 5v and ground) three other pins, so I had to make a choice on what pins to use. One is the unused one (pin8), for the other two I opted for pin 6 and pin7 since I don't use motor 3, but you can choose to go for pin3 and 5 (that are ENB for motor 1 and two that you might not be using)
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023