1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SimTools interface driver for YawVR

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Marc Fdx, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Marc Fdx

Marc Fdx New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 23Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    YawVR is a ready-to-fly ready-to-drive motion sim rig that brings good emotions for a fair price.

The device supports the original SimTools network driver, but I added some tweaks to have a better and easier experience for the users.

Features:
    - very easy to setup... you just enter the IP and it's done.
    - motion compensation support through OVRMC and YawVR Tracker
    - the motion scales are adjusted so that 100% yaw, pitch and roll match the YawVR hardware, so it will be easier to configure.

Installation:
    Just drop the zip onto the SimTools PluginUpdater.

I will post a "beginner's how to" setup a game config when I have time.

And definitely don't hesitate to share your settings for a particular game.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Ads Master

Ads Master

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    36,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +4,017 / 10 / -0
    @Marc Fdx,
    I'm sure this will help people with a YawVR!
    Nice work buddy!
    Take care,
    yobuddy
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Marc Fdx

Marc Fdx New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 23Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Basic setup and instructions

Installation:
    - Install the YawVR driver in SimTools by dropping the file "Yawvr_InterfacePlugin.zip" onto the SimTools Plugin Updater
    - In Game Engine, go to "Interface Settings":
    -- Select "Yaw VR" driver
    -- Enter the IP address of your motion seat
    -- Click save

Requirements for Motion compensation:
    -- Install OVRMC from "https://ovrmc.dschadu.de/en/Download"
    -- Install YawVR tracker from "http://yaw.one/gameengine/yawVRTracker.zip" (extract the folder in the archive to steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\
    -- In the Interface Settings of Game Engine, check the box "Generate data for motion compensation (OVRMC)"

Game Engine Instructions:
    - In "Axis Assignments": the (a) Axis Assignments define the axis for the motion seat: Axis 1a is Yaw, Axis 2a Pitch and Axis 3a Roll.

- In "Axis Assignments -> "Axis limiting" tab: for the three axis, 100% represents the effective maximum of the motion capabilities of the hardware, that means 360° for Yaw, 35° for Pitch and 35° for Roll. So you can adapt here the value for according to your preference (personally I don't have the room for a full turn and 35° for pitch/yaw is a very strong angle, so I start by limiting the axis to 25% for Yaw (so 90°) and 50% for Pitch and Roll (so 17°). The percentages you define here will be used by Game Engine so that the output values will be "compressed" within the limits. This does not interfere with YawVR config app allowing you to limit the axes, you should absolutely keep these limits for safety reasons, ensuring the seat won't rotate further.

Axis assignements beginner's guide:
    In "Axis Assignments" you assign a portion (%) of the maximum travel for an Axis to a Game Force.
    For flight/space sims basically I recommend putting Yaw 50% on DOF1, 50% Pitch on DOF2 and 50% Roll on DOF3. After trying and feeling the response in-game, you may augment these values to max 100% which means you will use the full travel within the limits fixed in the Axis Limiting.
    For racing sims, things tend to be more complex as the sway and surge axis are very relevant for the simulation. So for Axis2a you will have to make a partition between the Game Pitch (= climbing/descending a road) and the Game Surge (acceleration/brake), I start with 50% and 50% and then you will have to fine tune. Same for Game Roll (=road inclination) and Game Sway (G force felt when turning). Note that these force may need to be reversed so that the direction of the rotation is correct. For Yaw, if you have enough room you can assign the Game Yaw to Axis1a. Personally I prefer using the yaw rotation to feel the "traction loss" of the car. Most of the racing games deliver this force that you can assign to this axis.

Enabling Motion compensation in games:
    - Start Game Manager and Game Engine
    - In Game Engine, select your game in the game plugin list, apply patch if not done before
    - Launch SteamVR
    - Once in SteamVR, verify that motion compensation is NOT enabled in OVRMC
    - Launch your game
    Once you are in your game (some game require that you are in your plane/car/ship and not only in the menu):
    - Take place in your seat and open your Config App in your phone (or computer)
    - The config app should be blue and show that "SimTools" is connected
    - Press "Start" on the Config App
    - Go back to the SteamVR overlay and click on the "reset position" button in the overlay
    - You should now see the tracker right in front of your belly
    - Enable motion compensation in OVRMC
    - Return to your game and go!
    • Like Like x 1