1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Servos limits

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by monade, Jan 27, 2019.

1. monade

monade New Member

Balance:
    - 40Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi everyone,

I intend to build a 6DOF Stewart platform similar to a few I have seen posted here, however at a smaller scale since it only needs to support a payload of 10-15 kgs (33 lbs).

A few of you have already built models using RC servo motors which seem to simplify the whole system quite a bit and I am wondering if I could manage to stick with those for my machine.

At the end of the day, it would mean building pretty much the same platform as the model in the following picture built by @xxpelle here however with a heavier payload (10-15 kgs), more powerful servos and if possible a larger rotational amplitude. Also similar to this one below (in principle and mechanics):

[​IMG]

I'm thinking/hoping:
    • RC servo: 60 kg-cm, 60 RPM (JX Servo PDI-HV2060MG 60KG-cm)
    • Rotational amplitude: 8 cms
    • Each leg would hold 7.5 kgs, total 45 kgs (maximum given a static platform in neutral position and ignoring everything else, which gives us a factor of 3 to 4.5, doesn't sound like a lot)
    Before getting into the details and trade-offs, does it sound like going with servos is a reasonable approach for these loads? If so what servos could fit the bill?

Thanks a lot.