1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom RiftFlyers G-Seat Project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by RiftFlyer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Active Member

director
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Very nice

A big vibration unit under the seat will be the icing on the cake !
  2. RiftFlyer

RiftFlyer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I've decided to use a kw908 Jetseat for vibration. I have already removed the eight vibration units from it and I will be embedding them in the foam which will cover the flaps.

I'll post more details once I get to that stage in the build.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    thanks, I'm curious to see what kind of vibrator they're using
    kw901-268.png
    do you come from russia?
  4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Active Member

director
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Looks interesting , ive never tried one of these,

I use buttkickers on my setup
  5. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi @RacingMat

The unit came from a member on the dcs forums who lives in Russia. He has written a program to work with the seat cushion called Simshaker. It takes specific values from dcs which he then uses to apply vibrations of different frequency and intensity. These include engine rpm, stall buffeting, undercarriage retracting, flaps, weapons, VRS, etc....
    It works with Simshaker over USB. Somewhat similar to Ian's BFF shaker card with fsx/xplane which you may have heard of. The cushion can also be used with an audio channel like a traditional buttkicker without needing special software.

I'm not sure what the motors are as they are encased in a plastic housing which I did not open. They are low power (the entire cushion is 12v 1amp) but due to the proximity of the 8 motors to the user the effects are very strong. I'll post pictures later.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    @Adrianstealth

I have the seat isolated from the base on four rubber engine mounts. This was done for a buttkicker before I got the Jetseat. I may add my buttkicker as well but having tested the seat cushion I think the buttkicker may be destined for eBay.
  7. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor

@MarkusB here is a quick sketch to show the measurements. It is just the right size for the motor and belt tensioner arrangement that I went with.

Capture4.JPG

The seat base is angled at approximately 10 degrees off horizontal with the backrest angled a further 10 degrees (20 degrees off vertical). The measurements are not exact but are fairly close. My amateur welding and cutting skills meant I was more concerned with keeping it square rather than exact!

I will provide details of the flap sizes and spacing once they are finalized. I have already changed the backrest flaps once and I'm not certain where the numbers will end up for the seat base until I get them trial fitted and do more testing.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    @RiftFlyer: Thanks a lot for the measurements, this is very helpful!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I got some time today to make some progress on the base of the seat. I cut some steel plates to make up brackets for the pulleys and motors.

image2.JPG

I also drilled out the bolt holes on an old wiper motor gearbox housing to make a drill template for the three mounting bolt holes on the bracket. I added painters tape to an 8 mm bolt until it fit snug in the hole and then fixed the plate on the bolt and secured with a nut on the other side. I then used my drill to make the three bolt holes in the plate. Once the jig was removed I could then open up the centre hole to make room for the full width of the motor output shaft.

image4.JPG

This made life so much easier. The last time out with the backrest I had a lot of issues with alignment (the pulley axis and motor axis must be perfectly aligned to avoid torsion and flex being introduced when the motor arm moves). With this method my alignment is spot on. Next I need to add a few brackets to secure the pots to the pulley bracket and also shape the top of the brackets so the motor arm wont touch. I'll be mounting the motor and pulley arrangements on a steel plate which I can then slide into place in the base of the seat. Here I am marking up the positions before drilling the bracket mounting holes.

image5.JPG image1.JPG

That's it for today. More to come soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. chu

chu 2dof racingseat

tecnician
    Balance:
    937Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Very interesting project, looking forward for the final result.:)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MarkusB

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @RiftFlyer: Discussions about G-Seats are all around here. Since you were the one who inspired me to integrate G-Seat flaps into my 2 DOF rig (what I already did in the meantime), I am curious about the current status of your project. Anything new to show us?

By the way: Last year I have completely overlooked your idea regarding the vibration motors. Then I came to the same approach, just not with a vibration pad dedicated to gaming seats, but with a usual "massage pad", and it works great. And it only costs 24€.
    I am running the vibration motors in parallel to three fans, so that I get air stream plus the feeling of running engines, both triggered by speed or - in case of MS Flight Sim X - by RPM. I already love the moment when I start the engine in FSX, when the flaps in my back rattle for a moment and then the vibration motors and fans start running with low frequency. :)
    I did not cut the motors out of the massage pad though, but left them in there. Just had to cut away some fabric, so that the pad fits into my seat.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  12. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    This project has been on hold for a long time. I had a lot on my plate with other projects and have been busy with work. I have also built a new PC since I last updated the thread and I am only now downloading simtools v2. I will be working on a better plugin for G-seat use and updating this thread as the project progresses.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. MarkusB

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey, great to see you back in the forum, @RiftFlyer! Welcome back! Hope to see some updates on your project soon. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I’m back!

Well guys the never ending G-Seat is getting some attention again. The base is being completely reworked (third times a charm). While it was taken apart I started exploring other additions I could make.

I decided to add an addition to the backrest. A very slight vertical (heave) component to the flaps to compliment the heave sensation from the seat base. I’m using drawer runners to allow the backrest flaps to slide up and down in addition to the existing wiper motor driven surge in and out component.

7F721C29-C4AC-4E41-8967-1D33FA796003.jpeg

I took inspiration from @Spit40 and picked up a few Chinese 24volt servos. The servo wheels are massive though so it’s going to take some work to fit them behind the drawer runners. I didn’t fully appreciate the size of these things until they arrived. I am waiting on some standoffs so the servos can be mounted on the back of the existing flaps and hopefully the wheels will then fit between the existing flap and the new flap which is attached to the runners. I’ll join the wheel to the flap with some M4 rod and ball joints which will hopefully allow the flaps to slide up and down while driven by the servo.

Now that X-Plane has VR support I’m more enthusiastic than ever about getting this seat finished and working as well as it can.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  15. MarkusB

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @RiftFlyer,
    the up & down sliding backrest flaps are exactly the idea that I also had, and I have already realized it in my second rig. You can find details somewhere in the middle of this post. The first video at the end of the post shows the heave movement at about 00:25. The movement (flaps and backrest) is not really fast, but I find it sufficient for flight. And maybe the servos you are using are a bit faster than the Super500.
    I really like the combination of heave flaps and sliding backrest, and so I encourage you to build this add-on.
  16. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    The standoffs I required finally arrived. They are really soft brass. I already broke the threaded portion off one tightening a locknut! I may have to do a rethink on how I support the servos. The standoffs were originally going to connect directly to the servos (hence the m4 thread) but I soon discovered the servo wheel obstructs two of the servo mounting holes. This called for an extra plate to be added so the supports could clear the servo wheel. I made up the plates and left enough room to move up to M5 size threaded spacers .

Anyway, I got the servos test fitted on the rear of the backrest flaps and have the front plates with drawer runners ready to fit. They slide well on the internal bearing runner which means they are nice and quiet.
    2CAAE582-4584-4649-900D-CFE62A366095.jpeg
    I need to open up the holes on the backrest flaps for the servo wheels a little more but I think I’ll be left with a very compact solution. The servos only just clear the belt tensioning rollers behind the flaps which can be seen in an earlier post.

EDC41C7C-52D4-4B33-BCF7-6D90FF79482C.jpeg

The drawer runners present a small issue. The gap between both plates is very small. I did this to avoid changing the geometry of the seat too much. I need to find a way to extend the servo arm and attach a push rod inside the small gap. I’m waiting on a few desk hinges which I think may do the trick.

0AA7F314-D773-410E-86AD-BEADAA95C747.png
    The plan is to shorten one arm and drill a couple of holes then rivet it to the servo wheel. The pivoting bracket on the other end will then be attached to the front sliding plate. I’ll open up a few holes in the back of the flaps to provide access to the bracket fixings.

Arduino servo code is loaded and the servos are working. Once the hinges arrive I should be able to do some tests.

Along side this part of the project I’m still working on the base. I’m waiting on some more parts to arrive before I can show any progress.
    • Like Like x 3