1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Lesson Need help with Monster Motor controller

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by helisfreak, Aug 12, 2016.

1. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    Hi Guys,

I am stuck... trying to get this to work. I have done my research about a year ago, but the project was put on hold and now I completely forgot all of the info I learned and can't get my motor to run.

Monster Motor Controller, I want to run 1 controller per motor, so Hbridge set up?

I have wired it like this.
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...tersetup_single-motor-driver_final-jpg.13815/

Using code file SMC3 v0.63 and change mode to mode2... am I using the wrong code something? Attached the code file.

Under Window SMC3 Ultility set up, it's communicating with Adruino. When I move the POT, the green line go up and down... but no motor output (no voltage).

:(

// Set to MODE1 for use with a typical H-Bride that requires PWM and 1 or 2 direction inputs
    // Set to MODE2 for a 43A "Chinese" IBT-2 H-Bridge from e-bay or equiv

#define MODE2

// #define REVERSE_MOTOR1

// #define SECOND_SERIAL

// COMMAND SET:
    //
    // [] Drive all motors to defined stop positions and hold there
    // [Axx],[Bxx],[Cxx] Send position updates for Motor 1,2,3 where xx is the binary position limitted to range 0-1024
    // [Dxx],[Exx],[Fxx] Send the Kp parameter for motor 1,2,3 where xx is the Kp value multiplied by 100
    // [Gxx],[Hxx],[Ixx] Send the Ki parameter for motor 1,2,3 where xx is the Ki value multiplied by 100
    // [Jxx],[Kxx],[Lxx] Send the Kd parameter for motor 1,2,3 where xx is the Kd value multiplied by 100
    // [Mxx],[Nxx],[Oxx] Send the Ks parameter for motor 1,2,3 where xx is the Ks value
    // [Pxy],[Qxy],[Rxy] Send the PWMmin and PWMmax values x is the PWMmin and y is PWMmax each being in range 0-255
    // [Sxy],[Txy],[Uxy] Send the Motor Min/Max Limits (x) and Input Min/Max Limits (y) (Note same value used for Min and Max)
    // [Vxy],[Wxy],[Xxy] Send the Feedback dead zone (x) and the PWM reverse duty (y) for each motor
    // [rdx] Read a value from the controller where x is the code for the parameter to read
    // [ena] Enable all motors
    // [sav] Save parameters to non-volatile memory
    // [ver] Send the SMC3 software version
  2. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    if you read this thread again https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...3dof-motor-driver-and-windows-utilities.4957/ you will see that you have to use MODE1 for MonsterMoto shield.
    you don't have to change anything in the SMC3.ino . it works out of the box for MM.
    the only thing you have to do is configure com port and board in arduino ide to upload SMC3.ino and the com port in SMCUtils.ini so SMC3Utils.exe can read your arduino, things you have done as i guess.
  3. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    I have change it back to mode1, still nothing.

Is there anyway I can easily quickly test the monster moto shield controller to see if it's even working?

I have a RC servo tester, supposely should output PWM signal?
  4. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    I wired this correctly right?

Ardruino 9 to Moto 5,6
    Adruino 3 to Moto 4,9
    Adruino 2 to Moto 7,8

Moto: A1 with B1 and A2 with B2

A0 to center pin of POT, left outter to ground, right outter pin to 5V.

When I power everything on, when I turn the pot by hand I can see the green signal changing. Attached image

Attached Files:

5. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    put the pot at the middle position IE for 180 deg pot at 90 deg and then open smc3utls and see if motors are off (top left corner). if it says off click on it to turn it on. your motors are off
    wiring seems to be good. could be some faulty MM too if all are configed properly first
  6. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    Ok got it... it seem I didn't realized it's in testing mode... therefor turning the pot too much causing it to shut off.

BTW... let say I have a 3 turn pot (1040).... I would need at least 3-1 gear reduction right? I am doing a 2DOF and planning to attach control rod to the bottom of the seat... I guess I would need at least 90-120degrees of movement?

thanks for the help.
  7. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    you will need more gear reduction to have the full range of the 3 turn pot.
    IE 1080/360=3 (3 to 1)
    1080/180=6 (6 to 1)
    1080/120=9 (9 to 1 )
    1080/90=12 (12 to 1)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
  9. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    it looks like #2 is the runner (signal) but you can take some measurements with a multimeter if you have one to be sure
  10. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for my stupidity... so using OHM mode... what do I measure? which leg?
  11. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    Sigh... this is frustrating... Window SMC3 would connect to Ardruino just fine... then if I disconnect it and reconnect then nothing... 50/50 chance... not sure why....
  12. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Voltage...
  13. Pit

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    For what reason do you disconnect the Arduino? Cannot really understand your issue.
  14. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    If you disconnect the arduino and reconnect, you also have to shutdown SMCutils and startup again
  15. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    Well... I can't leave it connect all day long... I am currently testing the motor, so need to turn it on and off...

Yes, I restart SMC Ultil every time... but it seem sometime it connect, sometime it doesnt..... It's like it doesn't recognize the USB.
  16. Pit

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Try an other usb cable or port, you don't use an usb hub?
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  17. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    L.ooks like a bad connection between pc and arduino.

You will have to check in windows.
  18. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The most important thing I have learned in electronics is connection If only 1 wire of youre hole system is
    faulty you will have the biggest problems.
  19. helisfreak

helisfreak Member

Balance:
    579Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    So I got it working on my office PC... then now I am switching it to the gaming PC to do some testing... I install Arduino Driver and Software and Ardruino seem to be working fine... I can loaded the code and verified it. Show comp port 23 is being used.

But same old problem again, can't seem to get Window SMC3 to detect Ardruino... At first it will still showing Com 23 on the right corner, but it doesn't work... but after switching around USB port, it now keep saying Com 7.... even though I think my adruino is plug in to Com 23.

Any idea what I have to do? I am pretty sure the USB cable is fine and there's connect between Adruino and my pc... because I can load the firmware no problem... What else am I missing? The Window SMC3 Ultility doesn't seem to have any configuration need to be done?
  20. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,639Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 8 / -1
    You need to make sure the comm port is configured correctly in SMC3Utils.ini file

Also SMC3Utils will not work at the same time as simtools.

Can you post a screenshot of when it is not working.