1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My project 2DOF plus Traction loss

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by chrisgeo, Jul 1, 2020.

1. chrisgeo

chrisgeo New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I was in the workshop again, this one was a short one, due to other commitments. Manufactured the mount for the seat belt tensioning motor and the small brackets for the sides belts of the harness. As always the welding joints are not finished yet, they will be made nice once the welding is finished.

44E02EF9-B00B-49CD-954D-C223DE8C59CB.jpeg
    B3C6B290-AE1F-42A3-B8D6-50EE7074822B.jpeg 088BEC5B-2B28-4B71-BF6B-344C02050C9A.jpeg C6F4041E-03D8-4069-8BC0-4CF417C56FAC.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,025Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,054 / 20 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    There are indeed pros and cons
    RC servo is more straightforward (arduino code simplier, less wiring)

Gear DC motor will be quieter
    but you will have to add a potentiometer on your DC motor (bracket, and 3 more wires) and Arduino code is a bit more complicated (but codes are already available).

is your harness 2" or a 3" wide ?
    think about a roller behind your shoulders : 2DOF RC servos harness tensioner with PT Mover
  3. chrisgeo

chrisgeo New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    @RacingMat, thank you for the hint with the roller, I will do this to remove friction.

Regarding the DC motor, I planned for it and will use hall effect potis.
    potis.jpg
  4. chrisgeo

chrisgeo New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Today I had a bit of time left to spend in the workshop and I planned to work on the some parts for the mechanics. First I made the rods out of full aluminium bar and some kart heim joints. To make my life easier I used only the right version than right and left. The type of the heim joints is POS8R, it should be good enough for my purposes, if not I can go bigger.

The next item I built today was the mounting point for the rod to the rig, however I forgot to take a picture. First I thought to drill the rig to attach the rod, but I changed my mind for a couple of reasons.
    #1 If there is a hole somewhere it is hard to remove it.
    #2 It might weaken the structure of the rig
    #3 Intensive use might damage the drilled hole
    #4 I might need to change some dimensions in the future.

Lastly I built the mounting brackets for the potentiometers for two of the motors (longitudinal and lateral movement). The brackets are made out of 3mm aluminium cut, drilled and bent. The bracket will be attached to the rig with some bolts, so I can remove it if necessary.

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. absyfadhel1

absyfadhel1 Member

Balance:
    260Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    you complete it?...i have question
    ...(the motor how weight can lift ?)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. chrisgeo

chrisgeo New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, but I was quite busy in the last couple of weeks. To answer your question, the motors are rated 20NM, however I expect the load to be lower, because the rig is supported very close to the centre of gravity.
  7. chrisgeo

chrisgeo New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I was able today work on my project again after I was away for a couple of weeks.
    To start it slowly I decided to do a bit of machining, working with stainless steel (12mm rod) was a bit of a different experience, because normally I prefer aluminium. But the thread looks not to bad and a decent amount of cutting fluid was very helpful.

IMG_1021.JPG

I also used two pieces of flat bar to create the part of the lever arm which is attached to the stainless steel rod. At the moment the lever will be fastened to the rod with nuts, I will see if this is provides enough grip to hold the lever in place.

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

The next step will be to find the correct length of the lever.

IMG_1029.JPG

The other thing I finished today was, to attach the bracket holding the potentiometer. I uses a few oversized nuts and bolts, I was to lazy to look for some in smaller size.

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

Attached Files:

8. absyfadhel1

absyfadhel1 Member

Balance:
    260Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    its look its will be great build , waiting for the test video , keep going
  9. chrisgeo

chrisgeo New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    An other day in the workshop, or I should better say playground. ;)
    I finished the levers for the the up/down and sideway movements. At the moment I made it the levers out of 6mm aluminium, in case it will not be suitable I will replace it with steel.

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

I had a bit of an issue with the hole through the stainless steel bar, because I was not sure how to drill it totally centre. With a bit of research I was able to built a bit of a jig and it worked perfectly. I forgot to take a picture of the jig, but I will provide it at a later stage. At the moment I secured it just with a hitch pin. One of the next steps will involve the creating/machining of a perfectly fitting locking pin.

IMG_1111.JPG
  10. chrisgeo

chrisgeo New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I started to build the case for all the electronics (power supplies, Arduino, Motorcontrollers, ...) . The first idea was to use a PC case, but I stepped away from this idea for various reasons and decided to build my own case. For the case I am using 3mm aluminium, but one side will be made out of perspex, just to play a bit with some light effects.

As you can see, I did it not finished today, but this will be done in my next workshop day.

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1116.JPG
    • Like Like x 1