1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Looking for feedback on G-Seat Implementation for a Formula Seat

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by LikeStig, Feb 4, 2019.

1. LikeStig

LikeStig New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

Just wanted to kick off my first post by saying, this forum is awesome. I've always dreamed of making a simulator cockpit for racing games and I've recently began to pull the trigger on designing my own G-Seat to be used in a formula-car style setup. I am either going to pre-order the Fanatec DD1 in the next week to focus on building my rig over the coming weeks, or will buy a Clubsport setup and do this build in stages.

I plan on building the seat from fiberglass, reinforced with square steel tubing in the G-Paddles and building the supporting structure from square steel tubing. I come from a karting background and have been conceptualizing my ideas based on this experience. The G-Seat concept will accomplish my current goals, while my long term ambitions are to make a 6DOF platform to mount the G-Seat. I have zero experience with arduino programming but I am OK learning using through the information available online. At this point, because my design is unconventional I'm expecting to need some experimentation.

With this prefaced, and the knowledge I haven't tested a G-Seat personally, I wanted to get feedback on the design principles I'm starting with. Included here are my initial drafts of my formula-style seat and how I intend to implement the G-Seat concept. I would appreciate some feedback so I can continue my design process. These are my current thoughts/conclusions on how to execute my plans, and I am hoping that I can get some alternative feedback to the conclusions I've made to better design my cockpit:

I plan on designing my G-Seat paddles as follows:

1. Utilizing Worm Gear motors for servos- Worm gear motors (wiper motors) have proven great for 2DOF sims, any reason they won't work well for a G-Seat? I'm not opposed to using Serv0's as others have implemented, but it seems the Worm-Gear motors would be more than adequate for non-load bearing uses. (The servo's used in the 007 G-Seat seem like a great alternative: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/007-g-seat-ultra-compact-servo-based.10470/page-3)

2. Rib Cage paddles- I am not convinced at this time that I want to add "lift" to the back shoulders of the seat. When I've raced cars/karts, I feel the force in my rib cage and not through my back. As a result, my current design is to only have paddles which cradle my rib cage and provide pressure/lift based upon the way I've programmed the unit. Am I wrong in this conclusion that removing seat-back movement to the seat will be de minimis to my experience? I think it would be easy to design the paddles with a "back section" to lift me out of the seat as necessary. Would like to hear others experiences in practice.

3. Leg Area Paddles- I feel I have two options on how to handle the leg area of the seat:
    A. Using paddles similar to the rib-cage paddles cradling my thighs, and adding lower supports to the paddles to lift my lower body under breaking. This would require an additional channel of servos for these two paddles.

b. Utilizing a U-Joint (like found on a drive shaft or steering column) to connect the leg area paddles to the rib-cage paddles, mimicking the force applied to the sides of the rib cage in cornering. This design would require an additional servo to "push" the bottom of the seat under breaking, hinged from the top of the seat where the legs exit. I like this idea, as it would provide a direct force from braking (which the lower paddles aim to achieve) without altering the forces applied to the outer thighs.

4. Seat Belt Tensioner- This seems like a no-brainer to add. I intend on using whichever servo motors I decide on for this purpose.

Please let me know if you feel there is a better way to accomplish the G-Seat concept in a formula-style seat.

Thank you,
    Kyle

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. dododge

dododge Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    486Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    You might also look at the pneumatic designs that use air bladders to apply pressure instead of paddles. And if you're going to build the seat from scratch anyway, you could take a look at a "bead seat kit", which makes a custom-fitted racing seat by using expanding foam.
  3. LikeStig

LikeStig New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your input. I have considered the pneumatic designs with air bladders. Not discounting that idea entirely, but in execution I’m not sure it will have the level of precision I’m looking for. I have considered using air bladders to exert pressure on the shoulder area.

I researched how to use an air pressure regulators with arduino servos to adjust pressure, too complex, too slow and the air compressor component isn’t doable for an apt. I’ve also looked at the setup posted here with servos contracting bladders, unfortunately not the execution I’m looking for. My concern is the “resolution” of this effect without a DOF component. Cranfield Simulators makes pro-quality F1 sims using the air bladder approach. I’ve been using this picture from their website as a reference to my approach on key pressure points. That picture is here: https://www.cranfieldsimulation.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/01/g-seat-with-bags.jpg

Yes, the bead seat approach. I’ve concluded a fiberglass mold with upholstery added is the way to go for me. Comfort, and the fiberglass allows for a more compact design. The bead seat would work with a bladder system, through...
  4. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    88Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform