1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Jones 2DOF motion sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by jonas bandier, Mar 16, 2020.

1. jonas bandier

jonas bandier Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I am about 30 days into this projekt right now.

Some of this first content is copied from one of my other threads (i posted it the wrong place)
    Link to original: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/jones-2dof-motion-sim.14372/#post-193574
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all. About half a year ago i acquired a logitech g29 steering wheel and found out that sim racing is... quite fun! Så now i'm gonna go all in!
    [​IMG]

I'm going to build a 2dof motion sim with two 22v 300 watt wheelchair motors. The frame is going to be made from square steel tube and is going to be made as compact as possible, as i don't have a lot of space.

I'm currently about 3 week into the build and i think this is a good time to show my progress.

Parts list (as of now):

- 2x 22v 300 watt wheelchair motors

- 2x Dual VNH5019 h-bridge motor controller (maybe two of those is one is not enough):
    https://www.pololu.com/product/2507

- 1x 24v 100A meanwell power supply, that i found unused/used.

- 1x Arduino uno

Some pictures of my progress:

2.jpg 6.jpg

This is about how far i can come without all the parts that i am still waiting on. I still need the seat, power supply, rod end bearings, and one more VNH5019 motor driver.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      410.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      459.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      246.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      159.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      410.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      266.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Spart

Spart Member

Student
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jonas bandier

jonas bandier Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @Spart
    Well... that's annoying. I did consider those but as it was a stepper driver, i thought it was not suitable for brushed dc motors. Is the 43A peak? Because i am using quite large motors (300w each) and my idea was to use 1 driver for one motor, so i get 60A each. I think i am going to buy two the BTS7960B instead though. I have just always had bad experience with cheap electronics, so i just went with the name brand instead.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. jonas bandier

jonas bandier Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @Spart
    So i just bought two of those. Is there any downside to those compared to the VNH5019 drivers? Why are they so much cheaper? Just curious.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Spart

Spart Member

Student
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Yes you need one controller for each motor (if you want to control them independently) .Yes its 43 A peak but I have no problems with slightly more powerfull DC motors so this should work for you as well. By the way, consider adding some kind of cooling fan, these controllers get warm after 30 mins of intensive usage. The only downside of these controllers is that they operate on pwm frequancy up to 23 khz, so it might be tricky to make both motors silent and stay below 23 khz (atleast its was imposible to do with arduino nano). If you go above 23 khz controller shuts off under load.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Spart

Spart Member

Student
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    They are probably cheaper because they purely made in china and pcb will probably hold 35 amps constant and not more. Screw terminals are a bit small for these currents so I soldered wires directly to pcb ( I am using 4 mm^2 cable )
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jonas bandier

jonas bandier Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
  8. jonas bandier

jonas bandier Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Today i got the seat mounted to the frame. I found this Fiat Ducato seat used (apparently it has never been used) For about 33 euro. I think i got the geometry just about perfect for the pedals and the steering wheel.

My plan with balancing is that that it is done by moving the seat. The frame is sitting on a piece that can move back and forth, for size adjustment. The seat can also move back and forth (independently) which allows for balancing, since most of the mass is on the seat.

I also ordered two BTS7960B motor drivers instead of the VNH5019 because at was cheaper. So now i got a spare motor driver, what should i use that for? Seat belt tightener maybe?
    9.jpg

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      324.4 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      262.4 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      321 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      303.3 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Spart

Spart Member

Student
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Nice to see the progress! Dont you think pedals are a bit too low or are you aiming for comfort ? With balancing I have a sugestion to you, it will be hard to balance everything only by sliding seat. If you slide seat back to get the balance, pedals and wheel might be too far and vise versa. You can try countering that by having some adjustment to pedals and wheel too, it will be easyer to balance everything and get comfortable position. P.S tilting back rest of the seat is a good way to do fine adjustments to center of mass .
  10. Spart

Spart Member

Student
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Oh nevermind, I just noticed, you already have adjustment for pedals and wheel, my bad. By the way if you use wheel with strong ffb that stand might flex, you might need to reinforce it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jonas bandier

jonas bandier Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @Spart
    Yes it needs reinforcement as there is too much flex in the collum. I think i will mitigate that with the gear shifter and handbrake mount, so it forms a triangle.
  12. jonas bandier

jonas bandier Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    More Progress!

So i finally got the motion sim moving. It is currently running on one motor driver, which is not ideal and is temporary. But it works! And it's a lot of fun. The steering wheel arm still needs structural support though.
    It is currently running on about 1/5 the power of what it can run at, because i still need the motor drivers.
    I settled on using one 100A 24V power supply, that i bought unused/used. Yes, it is overkill but it's name brand i it was a good deal.
    I also found a universal joint from an old jeep, with easy mounting holes.

Video of me messing around in LFS: