1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Inside-out tracking Workaround

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by El_Batallitas, Mar 16, 2019.

1. El_Batallitas

El_Batallitas New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Future VR headsets will have inside-out tracking which is not suitable for motion sims at first. I was thinking for a possible solution and I just came to this stupid idea: to create a body for the sim using cardboards.
    The sensors will detect walls and a ceiling, but those will be traveling with the sim. That should do the trick.

This would open to a new world of customization, there is no limits to create a cool body for the sim, (does not necessary has to be cardboards) it could also have cool ventilation system and all...

What do you think? is there some user with inside-out tracking system that could try this out? :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    13,335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,559 / 30 / -1
    Maybe if you paint a checkerboard pattern or something on the cardboard it would work. From Microsoft:

The product has been designed to work in normal environments. Consider the following thought experiment - if you were in a completely blank room (white walls, white ceiling, white floor) then the tracking system would find no features to track and would fail. If you were in a room that was covered in art work and decoration, then the tracking system would find many features to track and would work well. For the most part, typically decorated homes and offices have been demonstrated to have sufficient feature detail to track well.
  3. ACTIVE-GAME

ACTIVE-GAME Member

Balance:
    164Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, SCN6, SimAxe, Motion platform, 4DOF

The guys have a lot easier solution to your problem:
    1 - For the oculus - before starting the program of the oculus, simply close the sensors with any objects or unscrew them into the wall.
    2 - For HTC Vive - you need to buy and install an additional tracker on the simulator.
    3 - For Windows mixed reality - turn off seconds in settings.
  4. BlazinH

Balance:
    13,335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,559 / 30 / -1
    I can't find this in Window mixed reality settings. Can you provide more details?
  5. ACTIVE-GAME

ACTIVE-GAME Member

Balance:
    164Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, SCN6, SimAxe, Motion platform, 4DOF

just turn off borders in settings
  6. BlazinH

Balance:
    13,335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,559 / 30 / -1
    Okay thanks. I was looking in windows settings under mixed reality. I'm already running without borders.
  7. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    18,302Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,030 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    What ????
  8. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,745Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Thats the worst response I have read in a while.
  9. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    18,302Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,030 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF

This is exactly what I was going to try when I got my Odyssey, and I have got my Odyssey and it works although it is very primitive how I have done it just to test. I am getting some sticky chequered vinyl which I will wrap round my platform with a couple of boards in front, hopefully it will work ok.
    • Like Like x 1