1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Hanging Motion Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by lunarknight, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lunarknight

lunarknight New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi I'm new... What are your thoughts on this idea?

A hanging motion simulator where cables/ropes are used to lift certain points of the motion platform.

The cables could be connected to each corner to give 3dof or...
    The cables could be connected to the motion platform in an upside down stewart/hexagon configuration if you wanted 6dof.

Winches could be use because they are strong and available in a local hardware/auto/tool store. Some are slow so you would have to look for one reasonably fast. I'm still thinking of ways it could be controlled by a computer.

Think it would work?
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Some questions:
    How big is this structure going to be? (HUGE!)
    How are you going to stop the platform from moving? (You can't, cables can only pull effectively)

In a nutshell, it is mechanically not practical. Using solid rods is a lot stronger in structure. Putting them underneath, you eliminate all the problems associated with an overhead frame.

In order to solve the issues with a hanging simulator, you would be creating new ones, hence the process will be running in circles.
    All this for no benefit at all!
  3. overengin00b

overengin00b New Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am almost sure that Frakk is leading you in the right direction, and I have been lurking for a while and seen some of the challenges people face with their builds. Sticking with something that has been proven is probably the best way forward if you plan to start a build.

Now that the practical disclaimer is out of the way, it does sound like it could be fun to attempt if you have time and money. I saw an example of one on youtube, it used rods/poles of some type to link the body of the vehicle to the motors, and it had a mount that stabilized the vehicle, like a pivot on the top of the pod. It is not exactly the same as your idea, but maybe it will give you some idea of the way a hanging solution can be accomplished.

My account is restricted because this is my first post, but if you want to see what someone has done with a hanging type system, search for the video

Motion platform for flight simulator GP ONE
    by the account: milapatek
  4. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Yes, it can work. Here is an example of such a hanging simulator:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/new-6dof-12v-cable-driven-project.12555/

Edit: And here are two other approaches:
    Edit 2: When writing this, I did not see that the initial post is 10 years old. In this case the thread owner would indeed have been the first one with such a rig on this forum.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  5. overengin00b

overengin00b New Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks MarkusB,

The ingenuity of this community is amazing! that thread contained links to another hanging solution, which also looks promising. I only wish my initial searches had turned up those other threads... and now I am noticing this thread is super old... so a second thanks goes to you for linking those sims instead of criticizing a necromancer for practicing the dark arts of thread resurrection. Hopefully your links will help anyone else who ends up at this thread form a google search at the very least.

take care
    • Like Like x 1