1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom FlyPT - 6DOF Brushless DIY Actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by pmvcda, Aug 29, 2017.

1. twinking

twinking New Member

Balance:
    71Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    First you have to transform the torgue into a radial force: Nr=M/r=0.6Nm/0.008m=75N
    To get the axial force you have to multiply the radial force with the gear transmission Ratio i. This is the spindle circumference divided by the pitch: i=r*2*pi/pitch=0.008m*2*pi/0.005m=10.05

Na=Nr*i=754N
    Or
    Na=M*r*2*pi/r*pitch=M*2*pi/pitch
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Koala70

Koala70 New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Joyrider
    I got it.. thank you :- )
  3. Ilyesgtsport

Ilyesgtsport New Member

Balance:
    - 299Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino
    HI pmvcda ,
    After your 5 years of use, what is your experience with your simulator and GruntyPig the 57BLF03 motors work without any problem, just a little slow!!
  4. GruntyPig

GruntyPig New Member Gold Contributor

Ice Cream QC Engineer
    Balance:
    - 121Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Ilyesgtsport,

The 57BLF03 motors are still working good. For the speed, the motors should run at 3000rpm and I find this is fast enough with 400mm 1605 ballscrews. The Mover software is just amazing!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. roli

roli New Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi there! I finally decided to build my first motion sim and this is the design that seems the most newbie friendly.

I managed to get my first actuator assembled and working. However... it seems slow... Too slow. I have 57BLF03 motors, and with calibration speed set to 255 the thing travels around 40cm in 4.8s. Which is roughly 80mm/s. When I was testing it first I accidentally left the controller with RV pin enabled and it seemed to slam into the mount with a lot more speed than what I am getting now. Any ideas on what could be the reason for the slow speed? Otherwise everything seems fine. When it starts it gets to the max end stop, then to the min endstop and I get this back: Minimum=-926 Maximum=926. I am using the same BLDC-8015A controller and the code from the first page (no changes).

Another side question... how much weight can this design handle? I was thinking of a pretty similar setup as the OP, but was thinking about adding an actual car dashboard (at least the drivers side and the middle console). Could this design handle something like this? If not... could I tweak it somehow?
  6. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,213Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi,

Somewhere in this topic I adjust a pot inside the 8015A to match the speed in all the actuators.
    Maybe try to adjust it to reach the maximum speed without noise in the actuator.
    Lacking ideas right now. (are you sure the wires are connected in the right order?)

For weight, my rig has lot's of stuff on it, a big monitor, a simcube 2, pedals and me with 80 kg.
    I think it can handle the weight, but try to make it the lightest possible to have a better performance.
  7. roli

roli New Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Will try the adjustment pot if I don't get it faster otherwise.

I am currently a bit suspicious of my DIY perfboard with all of the connections. I designed a PCB that will break out all of the needed stuff into screw terminals for easier and cleaner wiring. So waiting for that to arrive first before I invest too much time debugging this.

But I am sure that the controller-motor wiring is fine since the RV control seems to be able to move the motor with a lot more speed. So my guess is something to do with ESP-controller wiring. Though I am not sure what since things are otherwise working.
  8. roli

roli New Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well I think I fixed the speed issue. For anyone else having the same issue - it was the pot in the controller that just needed some adjustment. I made like 10 turns with it - which slightly worries me. But it seems stable to me. If my calculations are correct then this should be around 233 mm/s.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bobo

bobo Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hello, is this program the final version? I have many questions that I would like to ask you.
    Question 1:
    I used two 10K resistors for the limit switch, following the exact same method as you described. However, in practice, one of the switches is not being detected.
    Question 2:
    Why is the PWM resolution only 8 bits with a maximum value of 255? The data sent by your PC appears to have 15 bits (32768), which seems to have a very low precision for the resolution.
    Question 3:
    After powering on, I first create a hall thread and then perform a calibration function. After the calibration is complete, should the motor be positioned and held in the middle of its travel range? This is because our BLDC motor does not have a braking mechanism.
    Question 4:
    Is the information sent from the PC in the form of 16 hexadecimal values (e.g., FF FF 12 34 12 34 12 34)? And does the actual speed information of axis 1 correspond to 12 * 256 + 34, map ranging from -255 to 255?
    Question 5:
    The current behavior I'm experiencing is that when I power on the system, the computer does not send any information. Then, after performing the calibration in the program (I changed the limit switches to separate channels and they are working correctly), once the calibration is complete, the motor starts spinning rapidly, reaching a speed of 255 and it doesn't change. After that, if I manually press the limit switch, the motor immediately reverses but still at a speed of 255. What could be the reason for this? Is it related to the PID controller? I'm using your default values of 255, 0, 255.

Basic Information:

My motor has 4 pole pairs and 8 poles. When I manually rotate it, there are a total of 24 steps for one complete revolution. It uses Hall sensors for position detection. In my case, the motor should not rotate when there are no commands from the PC. However, it is spinning rapidly. What should I do?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

10. profetadelmus

profetadelmus New Member

Balance:
    - 60Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I not have enough space to build a 6dof... but i think that i have space to build a 3dof with 3 or 4 motors (more easy 3 motors because the esp32 position controller) but with minor actuator travel (10-15cm max)... can be possible? what about max weight supported?
  11. Walter Flores

Walter Flores New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi all, I just joined today and I am glad I found this forum, have been thinking about building one of these rigs for a while now but had not found the proper motivation to get started, one of the reason was that I could not find enough information on how to get started, until a few days a go I came across this forum and boy am I fired up to get started :grin.

First off I'd like to thank @pmvcda for this helpful post, you really provide very good detailed information specially for a newbie like myself, I have experience in Electronic Engineering and some software background, so I really hope I can come up with my own simulator very soon :)

The most important thing for me at the moment is acquiring the materials, i.e. motors, motor drivers and all the other materials to start mocking up the set up, I wanted to ask aside from the brands of motors you used, are there any other brands similar in spec to the ones you are using, hopefully some that are a bit cheaper, I've been doing some digging in Amazon and came across a few but not sure if I should trust them as they seem way less expensive than all the other ones I've seen other people use.

Anyhow, thank you so much @pmvcda for providing all these helpful information, I will be downloading your software as soon as I have my motors.

Cheers all :cheers

Walter
  12. roli

roli New Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So, after months of on-off work on this I have finally come to the first run test today:

This thing is absolutely terrifying if we are totally honest. The basic motion seems to work. However it is very front heavy (for obvious reasons). Heavy enough that cutting power slams the two front actuators all the way down. Similarly after calibration the thing is supposed to move to the minimum position and stay there. Well the rest of the actuators do, but actuators 1 and 2 do not. They go to the absolute bottom. After I start the mover software the thing seems to work relatively fine. Also with a full grown adult in the seat. Not sure how to solve the front heaviness though - other that cutting weight of course.

Also... @pmvcda ... could you share your configuration for the mover software? For a game like dirt for example. I would like to see how you have filtering and inputs configured and everything. Since other than the stuff at the front I copied your design, I would hope that those numbers would give me a good starting point.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    974Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I watched this video from pmvcda, it is was a good starting point for me,
  14. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,213Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Need some days, sorry but I have cirurgy tomorrow to remove a stone from the kidney...

Just a warning:
    The bottom u joints can break if you put the actuators to low (around 15º to the ground).
    So avoid those extreme positions!
    It's the most fragil part on the rig, keep an eye on them and replace the printed parts if you see fissures.
    I had to replace two already due to tests with new code I have for the actuators causing crazy positions.
    Even with the emergency stop, it's easy to go there because we remove power from the rig.

Another thing, it looks your actuators have different speeds. Did you adjust their speed in the pots so they match.? I made it with all the actuators lined on the floor and adjusting the pots to achieve maximum speed while still matching positions (I used a loop in Mover with a square wave).
  15. roli

roli New Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, missed that one. Definitely looks very helpful for at least getting me started.

Ouch. No worries. Take care of yourself. I still have a lot to do around this before I get into actually using it.

And thanks for the notice regarding those parts. I've had two of those bottom plastic pieces break during assembly already because of that. Though in my case the actuators fell because I didn't have them secured properly.

Hmmm, I don't notice any speed differences. But then I am not an expert. I did adjust the speeds already, but I used a different method. I basically got a single actuator, timed the calibration run time in code and then swapped the controllers and adjusted them so they all had roughly the same calibration time.
    Do you have any ideas on how to best check the speeds in an already assembled rig?
  16. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,213Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Moving just with heave, you notice the difference. The rig should be leveled all the way up and down.
    Try a loop on heave and use the sine wave or it will run at maximum speed.
    You should use always the same pair controller/motor. Motors should be all the same, but in practice it's not always like that and for those cheap controllers, they are all different.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Stefzouille

Stefzouille Member

Balance:
    595Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, 4DOF
    hi, very interesting, I also just acquired it for a 6dof, but I don't have a code, it's a project abandoned by the former owner, who sold it to me, and already if I understood correctly I have the old one that you used at the beginning..with the endstops outside the motor, so arduino r3 and ibt2 will not work?
  18. Stefzouille

Stefzouille Member

Balance:
    595Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, 4DOF
    but my motors is :
    AmpFlow E30-150-24 Brushed Electric Motor, 12V, 24V, or 36 VDC, 5600 RPM. with ibt2. yours code is ok for this ? ;)
  19. roarfun

roarfun New Member

Balance:
    12Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! What game do you use?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Stefzouille

Stefzouille Member

Balance:
    595Coins