1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom FlyPT - 6DOF Brushless DIY Actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by pmvcda, Aug 29, 2017.

1. katy77

katy77 New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform
    @pmvcda I use Schneider plc (Modicon 262)
    The issue is sending commands from flypt mover to plc, I am thinking of using UDP, I don’t know if you have any more ideas!
  2. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Let me check
  3. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @katy77 this?
    upload_2021-8-21_17-57-37.png
    This one is motion control 8 axes
  4. katy77

katy77 New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    yes exactly
  5. katy77

katy77 New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Do you have any idea How I can communicate it with flyptmover?
  6. AndreFilipe

AndreFilipe Andrefly

businessperson
    Balance:
    - 55Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN6, SimAxe, Arduino, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hello, what software do you have to simulate these movements? thanks!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2021
  7. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    My own software: Flypt Mover
  8. zhai1987

zhai1987 Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor
    upload_2021-9-28_14-58-26.png
    Brother, thank you. We have placed an order for production!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. John Snell

John Snell Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi @pmvcda.

Did you get the cheap BLDC motor driver working that you got from China and mentioned in this post?:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...shless-diy-actuators.10799/page-5#post-160376

I have some similar ones, and I have been unsuccessfully trying to get them to work using SMC3Util. The result is a very jerky movement as they very closely following the sinewave (or other) signal from SMC3Util. There is a video here:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...-using-brushless-dc-motors.16544/#post-221353

Do you think that switching to BLDC-8015A motor drivers will solve this? or have I done simply something wrong in my setup to get this result? I'm hesitating making a purchase of new drivers in case it's not the problem

(I have ordered ESP32s to be able to use the motor hall sensors)

Love your work! Thanks!

John
  10. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I never tried it... But should be just a replacement from 8015A to those cheap ones.
    I think currents/voltage are the same, just swap the BLDC8015A with those ones.
    One of the main differences is the adjustment you have inside the 8015A that allows you to make speeds match between different controllers and motors.
    It's cheap material, don't expect acurancy.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. xeg1101

xeg1101 New Member

Balance:
    93Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I'm very impressed how detailed you are with your build process. I am looking to build a new simulator, but I am new to motion sims. One question though, from what I've seen of stewart platform 6dof sims online, was there a particular reason you went with this particular design where the seat cradle is "suspended" in the middle of the joints, vs. something like where the cradle is riding on top of the linkages. (see image). This latter type seems to be more space efficient, but do you know which type has better range of motion? or would that be more dependent on actuator length than platform position.
    [​IMG]
  12. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    The center of rotation that allows you more range is in the midlle of the top platform.
    So if you seat sunken inside, you are going to have that COR higher.
    But the software can compensate it, but loosing range around that cor.
    The main reason is stability and use the structure to support wheels and other controllers (between the front actuators).
    Also, it's easier to go in and out. Not to high.
    You can make it really compact with high precision actuators, and get lot's of movement for a small displacement (angles), but to have them small, you need gearboxes, and then you loose in linear speed for example in heave.
    Don't know if I explained it well...
  13. xeg1101

xeg1101 New Member

Balance:
    93Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Explained very well, thank you. While I was browsing through the thread here, I noticed you talking about batteries in the power circuit. Are you still using these? Was it a successful buffer for when motors were at peak current draw?

I am also trying to wrap my head around the issue of power delivery overall for this system. I see the power supply you chose and it's input requirements. I am in the U.S., and our regular outlets in the home are ~120VAC, with the exception of the clothes dryer outlets which do 240VAC @ 30A.
    Do you happen to have taken measurements of how much power the rig draws under operation?
    And hopefully anyone reading this who lives in the USA and has built something similar can provide some insight?
  14. John Snell

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi guys.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get a single BLDC motor with wormdrive working with the esp32 (this is a proof-of-concept before I start physical construction).
    IMG_3404.jpg
    The motor has a built-in Hall sensor (yay!), I have the same Wantai motor driver, PCBs from an earlier post in this thread, and I have uploaded the correct sketch from the fist page of this thread to the ESP32 using the Arduino IDE. I also wired and checked the limiter switches and resister as per the post on page 26.

When I power it on the motor turns smoothly, the FR pin of the motor driver has +3 volts on it. If I press the minimum limiter switch then the motor stops (I can see in the code that it has been recognised), and at this point the FR pin on the motor driver has zero volts on it.

Should the motor reverse at that point? I'm expecting it to and I can't figure out why it doesn't. Is it possible that I have my hall sensor wires and power wires in the wrong order on the motor driver? I did have this exact issue on a different motor driver I was trying, so would be surprised if I got it wrong on both of them.

Any help on why my motor is not reversing at that point would be REALLY appreciated? Am I right that it should reverse?

Thanks a lot
    John
  15. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi,

Been some time I don't touch the code or the hardware.
    It works for me, so...

But from what I remember, the code is made for 3 actuators, so it waits for the other 2 to acomplish the calibration.
    Take a look at the code, you can change the number of actuators to 1.
    Could be another problem.
  16. John Snell

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi @pmvcda. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

EDIT: I have set the number of actuators to 1, this is important to get through the calibration loops.

Then I realised that the motor was in fact reversing, as it should, upon reaching the Max limit, but immediately thought it has also found the Min limit and so stopped rotating... this pointed to something being wrong with the limit switch wiring. I did know that an update had been posted on page 26 by @Richh999, but I didn't realise (didn't notice) that it is still a little different to the diagram currently on page 1. Correct diagram is here:

https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...hless-diy-actuators.10799/page-26#post-192260

By changing the wiring to match the updated diagram I seem to have successful motor calibration now.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  17. Richh999

Richh999 New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    150Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

So it's been a while but I had pretty much finished the project about 18months ago but just had some tidying up and then get my head around the software side of things and filters but haven't touched it since. Had a few test runs and was all running great.

I'm just getting it all setup again and was hoping that someone might be able to share their Mover config (filter setups) with me as a starting point as I never really got this side of it working. Last Mover version I used was 2.9.9 so just downloaded the latest version.
    My rig is pretty much the same dimensions as @pmvcda and uses the BLDC-8015A too if that helps.

If I could get some Sources and Poses with filters to get started for the following to then tweak for my rig that would be very helpful. The top 3 are what I mainly use.

X-Plane 11
    rFactor 2
    Dirt Rally 2
    FS2020
    Assetto Corsa
    Forza 4

Much appreciated and TIA.
  18. Racerr87

Racerr87 New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome thread for reading and massive respect for the DIY!

I was wondering why did you choose an esp32 instead of arduino uno? Would it be possible to control more actuators with the esp?

Thanks!
  19. C.Y

C.Y New Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking the same but with a Thanos AMC AASD15A ?? I'm new and so confused ... my understanding is this product is the benchmark as it is basically plug and play. Is it a matter of these posts / builds / tutorials were made prior to the Thanos release thus ... if its still working for them then why change it ??
  20. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @C.Y and @Racerr87 , the ESP32 is way faster compared to the Arduino.

Using the AASD15A is simpler and easier to build and with lot's of power.
    • Like Like x 2