1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom FlyPT - 6DOF Brushless DIY Actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by pmvcda, Aug 29, 2017.

1. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok, changed the stiffness and friction values.
    I think it works now.
    Uploaded a new version:

Updated.jpg

Download here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...6-8a40-6f58c6f11452/6DOF-Motion-Sim-Version-3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I have to say that you are wrong:eek: The lateral movement depends on the angle between the bottom platform and the actuator, the bigger the angle is, the smaller is the lateral movement. The size of the platfroms has nothing to do with the lateral movement;)

i tried to explain it here:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/basics-6-dof-stewart-platform.9396/#post-119948

@pmvcda
    Great project! it's nice to see BLDC motors in use;)
  3. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    OK, it's slow progress, but money is also slow (coming in, not out:eek:).

Some changes in the seat, instead of JKComposites seats, I changed to a Tillett for the Caterham, bought on ebay at jjcraceandrally.
    Simple, no phone calls, no options, no bank transfers, but more expensive.
    Just received it, looks good (around 4,5 kg):

WP_20171114_10_31_25_Pro.jpg WP_20171114_10_38_33_Pro.jpg WP_20171114_10_42_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171114_10_42_31_Rich.jpg

Now I finally can design the rig around the seat and solve all my doubts about the seating position.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    i love that seat, i have been stocking it since forever. :D:D:D:D nice pick
  5. ReBorn

ReBorn Member

Balance:
    238Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    WOW!
    I was thinking about building a 6DOF but I am absolutely new to DIY Motion Sims. Now i found your detailed build Log :)
    What material did you use for the printed parts? I cant imagine PLA can withstand the forces. Or did you use a huge amount of infill?
  6. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    They are solid PETG...
    I'm on standby, because of some health problems, (not severe, but physically not helping) and lot's of professional work delayed.
    The project is on stand by for some more days, but I will try to pick it up again in the next week.
  7. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick this is my sim Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Great project "pmvcda" please get well so we can enjoy the ride with you!:thumbs

Regards Jerry.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +864 / 2 / -0
    Hey there, :)

first of all: Great build! Especially the fact that you are using PET-G for load carrying parts. A bit of a bold move though, but certainly one I will follow closely.

Please keep us posted as soon as you have a test under a realistic set of loads. It would make my own design quite a bit easier if I could swap all the 8-10mm aluminum plates for PET-G printed parts. That'd allow me a much sleeker and way more integrated design. So far I'm still staying with aluminum for load carrying parts.

A couple of questions on my mind for you @pmvcda , @SeatTime and @wannabeaflyer2:
    1. Does the single upper bearing take all the bending moments when the actuator is in its fully extended position? I know, that there isn't all THAT much on there, but what IS there needs to go somewhere. I am tempted to use two upper bearings with ~150mm between them, just to be sure. Igus don't cost that much, so the only real consideration I'm giving this feature is the space requirements of it.
    2. Does the loose end of the ballscrew simply dangle around inside the rod? I assume it does, so does it create any audible noise (klonk-klonk) during load changes. Or scraping?
    3. I know, it's a bit of a delicate subject: Are there any features on your designs that you'd do differently if you were to make V2.0 of it? Come on,... you received praise and approval left and right, so show us the "dark" side of your designs :)

Thank you guys, you saved me months of work!

Dirty :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    1. Yes, for this Stewart platform design. I have been running them quite hard for around two years now and they are still working fine.
    2. No, there is a nylon spacer on the end of the shaft.
    3. No, I have made plenty of other changes over time with my 6DOF rig, but have never needed to touch the actuators. On reflection a encoder would be nice, but have not had any issues running with just pots.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @Dirty cant speak for the other guys, but from the limited running I had on my system, I was of the opinion that the Distance and support of the IGUS bearing and the tube attachment to the Ball nut which was typically 100+ mm's, provided enough support to limit excessive flexing of the extended Tube / Carbon Fibre or metal Version ,

Point 2 :- Most of us I believe have added some sort of centralising insert at the top of the leascrew to minimise the rotational Whip, which may occur during rapid movements .. ( note this is fixed Axially but free to rotate if it does make contact with the tube wall ..

Point 3:- LOL this is a dodgy area . as were DIY by nature its always a learning and evolving curve with these project , I mean no sooner than you think you have sorted something out , a better option or alternate way crops up , just look at the variation on the theme regarding the basic design of our actuators .. £D printers have a lot to answer for LOL but also have allowed member to really push the design to another level ... were getting close to what commercial guys are selling for serious money ( yes I admit horses for courses but bang for bucks were doing ok ) so short answer to last point ...... Loads of lessons learnt form other member and ideas which can be incorporated in our base design ...it never stops evolving as each new member brings something new to the game ..

Yeah guys I know ...Never one to a few words when a book will do LOL but ya'll get the Jist
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    LOL @seatime your half the planet away and we still posted at the same time dam that's some serious Karma LOL

And yours was to the point LOL see I told you about deaf men and postings its a compensation thing :cheers
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +864 / 2 / -0
    That's true! Even during the few months that I am working on my actuator, I have gone through a few design iterations. It's OK at an early stage where everything exists only in CAD, but if I come across a serious problem at a later stage it might become a costly lesson learnt. That's why I asked.

@pmvcda, I am really interested to hear, how the PET-G Parts hold up over time.
  13. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Me too...

Well, I'm back. Finally some time to pick this again.

I'm right now building the aluminium structure for the base and the seat.
    Well, more or less, since I have no tools to weld, so I asked someone nearby to make me this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In another front, I also ordered this:
    [​IMG]
    It's a " VL53L0X Time-of-Flight ToF Ranging Sensor Laser Distance Measurement Module"
    The idea is to replace the pot for something cheap with absolute positioning, but It needs a good white surface for reflection and needs a conic volume completely free.
    This might take one or two weeks to arrive. If it doesn't work, it will be used in my son robotic projects.

Let's hope I get some news very soon. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  15. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    824Coins
    Ratings:
    +341 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    What is this connector called? Link?
  16. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    • Like Like x 1
  17. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    After some tests, I'm going to ignore this solution.
    It really needs a "big" conic volume.
    It's fast and I could make it work, but I would need to point the sensor outside and have a big target on the slider, increasing the actuator section.
    So it's a no.

I'm still looking at the hall sensors from the motors.
    Made some tests and was able to count the signals, but I was also able to burn the Arduino... :mad: in a stupid way...

But I have a new Due and also an Espressif esp32 to try ;).
    The ESP32 is way faster and with lot's of interrupt pins, good to count the signals from the hall sensor (and only 9€ !!!).
    e0d42ff6-a8c7-44ba-8576-89f62f1d5c5a.jpeg
    They are 3.3V but I got some logic level shifters for 3.3V <-> 5V.

Need some free time...
  18. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Slow slow slow...

Finally got the upper structure.
    Not perfect... Asked a professional, but I'm not happy with the welding. But they are strong.
    Needs some cleaning.
    Also bought two articulated joints and an aluminium plate to hold the wheel (still have to drill and cut it).
    Let's join parts to at least see some development:

WP_20180623_10_09_16_Rich.jpg

WP_20180623_10_09_33_Rich.jpg

Meanwhile, working with the ESP32 on a solution to count steps with the hall sensors of the brushless motors.
    I have to deal with 3.3V logic in ESP32 and 5V on the controller, so more work than expected.
    But it's also a way to protect the ESP32.
    But it might work and maybe I Can scrap the pots and the belts. :)
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    This looks like a great actuator design. For one i can get my head around it without too much trouble. The 3d printed parts look great too. I'm looking forward to news on replacing the pots with a more durable solution. This could be a great reference design for an affordable actuator and if someone made a kit of all 3d printed parts i'm sure that would sell well. The only suggestion would be to boost the motor power a touch. Maybe it isn't needed - it will be interesting to see how it works in action as a 6dof. I've been reading up on PETG. Is it the best material for the job? Better than ABS? How about polycarbonate? I don't have a 3d printer... yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Well, for now it's working OK, but only moving the motor manually.

First tests with an extra motor I have. Just tested manually. I achieve 12 interrupts for one turn, so less than 0.5 mm precision, since 1 turn is 5mm.
    (The Arduino was just to get 5V and test the logic level shifter 5V <->3.3V)

WP_20180624_17_36_42_Rich.jpg

Started changing the code and wiring to test the actuator moving.
    Remember, I have 5V for the motor controllers and 3.3V for the logic, so I have to separate more than I wanted.
    Also, the minimum and maximum switches will be handled as a pot for initial test.
    Minimum will be 0V, maximum 3.3V. For the test, the pot gives around half the value (+- 1.8V fixed).
    If this works, I might use interrupts for the switches.
    Big mess:

WP_20180624_23_20_59_Rich 1.jpg

I think it will work.
    I'm afraid of loosing the position with time. So I must keep the limit switches to handle a severe error.
    Now let's change the code... Wiring is done for one actuator.