1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    The Nucleo-F303RE board I am using has Arduino connectors too. Maybe the IFX007T could be used to replace the IHM08M1. If I find some time I will look into this option.
    I think the IFX007T board could also be used for @danove_b 's approach to replace his DIY board.
  2. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Guys just a mad idea regarding Encoder feedback position when using Hoverboard motors , Im collecting all the parts to copy this project and just made a quick mock up assembly of the encoder feedback setup , have a look see please guys and critique the arrangement .

The plan is to use My 3d Printer to make a Gt2 60t Pulley which will be Bonded to the Hub Motor as shown and this ten belt drive the encoder Pulley roughly as shown in the mock up .

Im thinking this arrangement will allow different types of encoders to be fitted and leaves the front of the Clear for any Quick release adapters ..

Once I finish printing the Drive Pulley it can be bonded on or screw fitted for easier replacement , well that's the plan LOL . i'll start my own thread with loads of picture if it will help anyone else or trigger the next improvement to the use of Hoverboard Motors ..

such a bummer that I cant easily get hold of the 11M08m1 3phase adapter board to go with my ST32 Discovery so eagerly watching the Selection of possible Replacement ,
    Just wanted tosay mega Thanks to @Benu and @danove_b for posting this info about Hoverboard wheels as good option for FFB :)

Attached Files:

4. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    That should work. Although there might be some loss in accuracy due to the belt. On the other hand you will gain resolution with different sized pulleys.
    Maybe you could use something like the "starfish pulley" in this thread. It would help others rebuilding your design. Not everybody will be keen on drilling additional holes in the motor.
    You also might check if the load on the encoder shaft isn't too high. You don't want to wear out the bearing. Maybe support the encoder shaft on the other side of the pulley.
  5. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @Benu that a brilliant find , my fave saying that theres many ways to skin a proverbial cat rings true. i like this option , to be honest i tend to use equipment i have available so lathes and cnc machines are my work tools , but the goal of making something easily repeated by others is the Target.

the encoder shaft in my design does not take any load as this is done bt a dummy shaft resting between 2 bearings and the encoder is connected by a flexi coupler . left the cad drawings on my PC at work so will post them next time :)

now got all the electrical/mechanical bits barring a decent BLDC controller to drive the Hoverboard motor, as the 11m08mi's are proving hard to come by . but this starfish option can easily updated to get me a working development unit , Thanks again for the heads up will get it designed tomorrow and post an similar adapted version based on that design .. Cheers

doh forgot to ask .. how much of a hit would it be resolution wise using GT2 belt drive and 1:1 ratio .. 3d Printing will allow me to try this test quickly but did not think of the impact of the belt as i could tension it to get best setting before locking things in place ( that was the initial Plan anyways using aluminium gears 60t )
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  6. s3baz

s3baz New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hey guys, sorry BTW for interrupt (and for the English,i'm from Costa Rica ), anyone is doing a guide for this project?, because i'm thinking try to recycle a hoverboard to make the steering wheel, but I don't have a very large budget so I want to do everything well. Thank you!!
  7. BiT0

BiT0 Member

Balance:
    227Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello, just to share infos I am gathering.
    I already chose to attemp the IFX007 route but meanwhile had an answer from Keya Electron which I contacted previously about the controller I pointed in DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor (used by Ranch in his thread to current control other BLDCs).
    We even share the teardown of these motors done on the ODrive forum.
    They report their controller to be perfectly fine with these kind of motors.
    The 10/50DPW30BL due the amp required. Watch out that the manual you can download from the webpage is wrong.
  8. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Unfortunately I neither have a CNC, a lathe nor a 3D printer freely accessible. So the parts I use are mostly handcrafted.

Good thinking!!

Did you try mouser.com for the IHM08M1? They report zero stock at the product page but seem to be able to order one for you. The next order will be delivered July 9th. Check their web site.

You are welcome.

Sorry, do you ask for the "accuracy" hit due to belt drive? I never tested a pulley/belt configuration. So I cannot answer that. But you are almost done with your encoder/motor connection and can report your findings here.
  9. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Hi s3baz,
    you find the things to buy and to DIY in this thread. One main part, the IHM08M1 inverter board, is not readily available right now but can still be ordered at mouser.com. As soon as the inverter board is available in quantities I will do a guide in the first post of this thread.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Do you have to correct manual and the correct specification for the controller? Would you share it?

Be aware that we need a controller that is capable of:
    - driving the motor mostly at stall (so position feedback has to be very accurate and controller has to deliver stall current)
    - switch directions almost immediately to transmit road detail and driving forces
  11. BiT0

BiT0 Member

Balance:
    227Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yes they sent it to me. Here it is.
    I can not vouche for this controller for our goal, just noted it in another tread and got some info about it. I already chose the IFX007 route.
    Anyway I appreciated their attention in requiring me detailed motor spec (that's why I pointed them to the ODrive teardown) and my application requirements (that are those you are pointing at).

BTW about ODrive I read somewhere the V4 should be single motor.

My IFX order is on the way and yesterday I got a mint hoverboard for 30€. So mint I almost afraid to tear it down in the weekend LOL

Attached Files:

12. BiT0

BiT0 Member

Balance:
    227Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi danove_b, since my approach is very close to your, may I ask which ffb firmware you are using Ai-wave or EMC?
    How do you integrate the ffb firmware and the motor control in a single sketch? Got the source of the ffb?
  13. s3baz

s3baz New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino

Thank you, @Benu, I'll wait, thank you!!
  14. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    I actually don't use either of them. I'm a rfactor2 only user, so i take the ffb signal directly from the sim, but there are a user in the "Cousin of open SimWheel" thread that has worked with a early source of AIwave that you could use and just implement code for the BLDC. At the moment I have no ready to use code for that. I hope I get more time later this summer to start work with this project.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  15. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
  16. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    At first when I saw the picture I was skeptical and I thought it would slip a lot but in the video it looks like it works pretty well even under speed. Great idea man. Any progress on your motor driver idea?
  18. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    Will be away from home until 10/7 and then I have some work away from home but sometime in August....
  19. RSP

RSP New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi guys I search on Internet a simple driver for the brushless motor. What do you think about this https://www.mikroe.com/brushless to connect directly to STM32/Arduino and use PWM & Dir mode on Mmos?

The problem with this board is the limited current output.
  20. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    Because you ask in this thread I suppose that you need it for a ffb wheel, and then it's useless. You need torque control, not speed control.
    • Informative Informative x 1