1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Cousin of OSW (Open Sim Wheel)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gadget999, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Frederiksen

Frederiksen New Member

Balance:
    199Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can someone explain the pull up resistor for the encoder pls? I don't know if I need one or not with an omron 1000p/r and if I do how do I know what specifications of the resistor to get?
  2. Czary

Czary New Member

Duty Officer
    Balance:
    273Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    Hi, AFAIK you'll need 2 kΩ 0,5-0,6W metal film resistor THT type.

Btw.my first attepmt to solder PCB connector board was unsuccesful. Soon I've found the design flaw- one of the wires was runnig too close to SN7407 pads so there was a short :
    PCB DD Wheel.jpg
    I've redesigned the PCB wires distance and also added pin connections for 2xMCP23S17 serial iterface.
    As soon as I confirm that PCB works fine I'll upload pdf and gerber files ;)
  3. Frederiksen

Frederiksen New Member

Balance:
    199Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your response. What does THT type mean? What percent should the resistor be? All of the resistors have percents with them.
  4. BlueTiger

BlueTiger New Member

Balance:
    18Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good Afternoon,
    I made the wheel with an Arduino Leonardo and a 350W motor. I'm using this program and it all works fine. My only problem is i've broke almost 6 IBT-2, Every time Dirt Rally 2.0 chrashes the wheel starts to rotate fast in one direction and so I plug the power supply of. After that when i reopened the game and plugged in the power supply it immediatlely shuts down( a short circuit).
  5. Czary

Czary New Member

Duty Officer
    Balance:
    273Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    Ok, there is a SMT and THT technology in electronics. THT is through hole technology, which simply requires drilling holes in the middle of soldering pad on a PCB (as is in my design of connector board), and those THT parts have leads attached to mount them.

The SMT (surface mount technology) is most common today, as the PCB design only use pads for soldering the part with no holes required.
    For hommade PCB we can use both technologies, but with THT you can use part lead as via to transfer signal from one side of PCB to another.

Percents says how much the value can deviate from the reference value (so buying 100kΩ 5% resistors means that the real value varies from 95 to 105 kΩ). So it's best to buy 1% version of the component for this application.
  6. Frederiksen

Frederiksen New Member

Balance:
    199Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the clear and informative explanation.

How should I mount the steering wheel to my my1020? I saw somewhere on here people said not to put it directly on the shaft. How should I do it then?
  7. Frederiksen

Frederiksen New Member

Balance:
    199Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everything I need for the wheel finally arrived. Now I just need to know how to attach encoder to my1020 and how to mount wheel on motor.

Also how can I test the ibt_2s I recieved?