1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Another DD hoverboard motor SIM wheel...

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by CNCModeller, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Joerg Paysen

Joerg Paysen New Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Is this an AS5047 encoder? Very nicely done!
    Can you sell me one of your custom boards or would it be possible to run your joystick firmware with two non SPI encoders?
    Here is a picture of my (testing) installation. I also drilled the shaft completely from front to end and took a 3mm wire to drive the encoder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  2. Roman Smoliakov

Roman Smoliakov New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Yes

https://github.com/o-devices/bldc-ffb-joystick-base here is everything related to joystic project including link to board project so you can order it on JLCPCB. Firmware for it is there as well. I do not have enough time to remade joystick firmware for incremental encoders right now. May be at some point in future.

You can test wheel firmware as wel on your ODrive. https://github.com/o-devices/bldc-ffb-wheel/tree/master/firmware. Just connect a button to Z gpio for first encoder to reset zero position of the wheel.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Joerg Paysen

Joerg Paysen New Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Thanks for the links! Will download and test it.
    I know how to order a PCB at JLCPCB for your controller but I have no idea how to order a
    prebuilt PCB one. Can you help me?

Do you have any plans to opensource your FFB joystick firmware?
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  4. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Eventually. But not in foreseeable future.
  5. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello, Roman smoliakov
    1. Why is the odrive project not connected with a braking resistor similar to b-g431b-esc1?
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...th-hoverboard-motor.13178/page-16#post-195271
    2. Is there any plan to connect odrive only as a brushless controller to MMOs or CarSimulatorFirmware or EMC or others?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  6. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    It is planned for implementation. ODESC3.6 and full ODrive have circuit for connectin braking resistor but feature is not implemented yet in firmware.

No. I work on firmware which does not require external controllers and can do everything inside ODrive. MMOs and EMC and CarSimulatorFirmware are closed projects and does not give me flexibility I need in controlling settings and logic. It is better to ask them to support ODrive as brushless controller
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    :) thank you very much for your reply!
    1 ODESC3. 5 single motor board is indeed an economic scheme.
    I found ODESC3.6 also has a single motor version, and the braking resistor can be connected (if DD HoverBoard motor is built from scratch, it will be a good choice)
    2. The free FFB control MMOs has stopped for many years. Do carsimulator firmware and openffboard (the openffb control part can also use the cheap STM32 development board) have the output support you said?

Attached Files:

8. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    :)Another question is whether the ABI output of the magnetic encoder as5047p can directly replace the PNP output of the grating encoder
    I want my Hoverboard Motor to be as simple as yours
    ----------------------------------------
    After my test, it can be replaced, and the price is much cheaper than that of photoelectric encoder
    Next I will cover the motor on my scooter
    ----------------------------------------

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  9. mirrs

mirrs New Member

Balance:
    48Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm dying for a step by step here. I'm to the point where I've considered engineering as a major...
  10. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Maybe you can add new functions: loading and saving different games and configurations.
  11. Loris

Loris New Member

Balance:
    32Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi mate I see that you are using the vnm firmware I'have only one question for you where should I plug the pwm and the direction cables from the esc?
  12. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The pin definition of vnm firmware is almost the same as that of mmos firmware, vnm firmware can set pwm 0-50-100 output. I tested the VNM_WHEELBASE_V1_STM32F407.hex firmware with richardburnsrally and found something wrong. Although the maximum left and right angle limit force is normal, the in-game force feedback output is very, very weak (all settings are turned on to 100% force feedback).
  13. Rodeo5150

Rodeo5150 ROOKIE BUT LEARNING FAST Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,233Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Im curious. What is providing the torque and how much are u getting
  14. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Erdem

Erdem New Member

Balance:
    29Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I have 250w hoverboard motor and odrive3.6 bought from aliexpress. When I try to calibrate motor, I get umknown current measurement error. How can I fix it?
  16. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Why you need to calibrate it? Which software. My firmware works without need to calibrate motor.
  17. mirrs

mirrs New Member

Balance:
    48Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a wiring diagram for your custom controller similar to the ones for the ODrive? With the colors, labels, etc.
  18. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    wheel_connection.jpg
    But I recomend you to go with ODrive. Firmware development for custom board is frozen for now because of difficulties with sourcing components for it. So I base my devices on ODrive in observable future
    20220502_115911.jpg 20220429_193129.jpg 20220502_120011.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. CNCModeller

CNCModeller New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Roman,
    Loving the more refined look later in the thread, I've not been working on this for a couple of years now and have only just come back to the forum. Really glad you found it thought provoking! I'm now working on a motion platform to go with my FFB wheel.

Has there been any development w.r.t. open source arduino code and associated PC apps for driving FFB wheels? I've just downloaded the latest version of EMC but would love to look under the hood!

I've always wondered if simtools could push wheel torque demands but I cant se any mention of it so far.

All the best,
    Barry M
  20. QuinrodD

QuinrodD YawVR1

self employed
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    Can you kindly link to that wheel adapter with the coiled cable? Is this for the Thrustmaster wheel rims? Also, in another picture you have the coiled cable from inside a Thrustmaster wheel Base, where did you get this one? Links would be great, thanks!