1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DOF scale model with SketchyPhysics

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by FoxONe42, Jun 10, 2018.

1. FoxONe42

FoxONe42 6DOF newbie

Flight simulator engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    No sure whether I should put this here as it is NOT yet a full size 6DOF, but it is the first step to it.
    I just wanted to share my work that can be usefull for someone who have a 6DOF but don't feel confident enough to jump into it. This should build your confidence :)

My goal was to design a small 6DOF stewart platform scale model made of cheap RC servos to make sure I understand how it works. I had an Arduino Uno already, and simply printed a few parts with my 3D printer (I can share the files later here) and some RC helicopter rods and ball joints.

I used simtools 2.2.5 which comes with a demo mode, and a pluging to connect LSF. LSF can also be downloaded here for free: https://www.lfs.net/

Now, if you don't want to invest a cent in building a scale model of a 6DOF platform, I suggest you use sketchup and it's pluging SketchyPhysics to see the results in real time. I followed the procedure here https://www.xsimulator.net/community/faq/how-to-animate-sketchup-3d-model-with-simtools.209/
    Here is an important tip however: Do NOT make your model too small. SketchyPhysics will NOT render any physics on small objects. I understood it the hard, since my scale model is very small, and waste 2 days in trying to understand why the software was not behaving the way I wanted. Other you can simply use my model with the configuration I'll be sharing here.
    Here you can see a short video of the results. Both real 6DOF scale model and the virtual one behave the same way while playing with LSF. Next step is a test with X-Plane 11, my goal.

6DOF scale model Simtools Interface settings.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Xesc

Xesc New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  3. Xesc

Xesc New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Solved,...Thanks anyway...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. FoxONe42

FoxONe42 6DOF newbie

Flight simulator engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Sorry mate, I wasn't on the forum lately and missed your question. Glad that you solved it though.