1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

6 DOF from scratch

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Pierre Lalancette, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D Technical Director
    Balance:
    2,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +329 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I have a third actuator up and running. Because of the noise, if I test it with motion, it gets too close of the limits and the noise trigger the reverse motor. Thanks to my limit switches, it ended at the other end of the actuator. But if I keep it a square input signal, the actuator runs just fine, as the noise do not reach the limits. But the centre idle is quite jerky.

IMG_2096.JPG

I have prints others set of parts. One is just fine, the other add a skew right at the beginning. They went straight to recuperation. I printed them all back, but this time, one by one.

IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2095.JPG

The three other actuators are in production. I have stick all the remaining parts. I should not have to touch at epoxy glue for this rig anymore, and I did not make a mess! I'm a big boy now!

IMG_2097.JPG

Here a video of one of my actuator working. I almost destroyed my platform, but it worked, for a few seconds. I thought both actuator would work at the same time. So wrong. And you will see how I like to work casually in my pyj.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    505Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    The others have the same noise ? May be this one ( cable ) pass near from the hight voltage/amps) . if not , put a filter ( capacitor) !
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  3. Flymen

Balance:
    505Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Nice pyj and i like your slippers color !:thumbs:popcorn
  4. Pierre Lalancette

3D Technical Director
    Balance:
    2,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +329 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    It passes right into the high power cables. A capacitor... Hummm. That make sens.
  5. Flymen

Balance:
    505Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  6. Pierre Lalancette

3D Technical Director
    Balance:
    2,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +329 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Indeed, it looks like the exact same problem. Coaxial cables and capacitor. I was hoping to find another kind of solution as I didn't want to redo potentiometer soldering. But, I guess it one of those time who you have to stop being lazy and do what you have to do. Thanks for the info @Flymen.
  7. Pierre Lalancette

3D Technical Director
    Balance:
    2,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +329 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hello everyone.

Like in @Vitalius thread, I had a problem of noise with my potentiometer's signal. The wires were getting long, they were passing through high voltage wires and my signal was picking up noise to the point it was triggering my limit setting if it got too close. So, like him, I got myself coaxial cables to shield my signal. But what is the better way to setup the wires? I tried 3 methods: No shield attached, shield to the earth, shield to the ground.

The best way is the simplest, of course, but I had to spend hours just to try the others, just to know (I should have search the internet instead). The 2 others were acting like noise antenna. It was terrible.

DSCF0004.jpg
    Only when I put every shields to the ground that I finally got a stable signal.

DSCF0002.JPG

I also add ferrites and a 47uf capacitor. I cannot say they had a real impact to the stability of the signal. (sorry for the out of focus picture)

DSCF0003.JPG

I also cut one of my finger. Nothing life threatening, but there was BLOOD! If you don't need your knife anymore, don't keep it in your hand. Put it on the stool.

DSCF0001.JPG

Now that I know how to stabilise my signal, I will be able to finish the electronic part of my actuator and keep on assembling them.
  8. Pierre Lalancette

3D Technical Director
    Balance:
    2,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +329 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I have a new actuator rightly wired and tested.

DSCF0002.JPG

It is well fixed too.

DSCF0006.JPG

The other Gray one needs its potentiometer rewired the right way.

DSCF0004.JPG

So are the White ones, and there bases need to be drilled.

DSCF0001.JPG

The Orange ones are missing their electronics altogether, but they are assemble.

DSCF0005.JPG

The rig doesn't need the chair anymore to stand on its own.

DSCF0003.JPG

The coaxial cables seem to have stabilise the noise. Looking forward to see them all working together.
    • Like Like x 4