1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

2DOF SBtooth2x32 PGSAW 50:1 ricmo clone

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by weld12, Nov 6, 2018.

1. weld12

weld12 New Member

Mechanical/technical/engineering/scientific
    Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hello friends,
    I have been reading posts here for many years and I'm now undertaking a move to motion with my static rig.
    Starting with Grand Prix Legends on a laptop; with a new baby on the way; I bought a G27 and had a chuckle with my wife about pretending to race...
    Well I didn't realize how much I would enjoy sims and building to make it more immersive. I like to work in metal and wood because of the fabrication and carpentry work I've done. The last ~10 years have placed me in municipal wastewater operations/maintenance where I've acquired some knowledge of industrial motors and controls.
    My "racer" (kids name) for my rig? Began from photos of the RS1 cockpit on isrtv and my best guess of measurements to suit me with several iterations of seating; porsche 914, welded office chair, vintage bucket.
    A few things have turned out well: a bournes pot handbrake from alu pipe/scrap, custom alu pedals from a clip I'd seen of Magnus Walker discussing his race pedals. Craigslist, scrap and thrift shops have helped along the way.
    A heady mixture of MDF, cut aluminum signs, ss unistrut and bad lawnmower gas have fueled my passion.
    Running dell workstations t3500, and t5400 with gtx 750tis I'm constrained to but enjoy GPL,GTR2 (P&G!), Rfactor, RBR, Rally Trophy, Dirt Rally, ETS2, MSFX, IL2 Sturmovic = older sims.
    Obviously I'm very low budget and prefer used or rebuilt by myself.
    I really badly wanted to do a argon ffb build and began to assemble many parts but time has moved quickly these few years and much has changed.
    So I've begun to build some bang for the buck by stretching my frame, mocking up the pgsaw motors and today a test w/ new ard uno (first time) with sabertooth on some 9v 16:1 motors sourced from a dead peristaltic sampler pump.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. weld12

weld12 New Member

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I've added approx. 18in to my static frame with the same in overlap or sistered to prevent flex from the motor mount. After several evenings of wiring and installing programs etc. I attempted to drive the little 9v motors on my bench test from the ard through the sabertooth using @BlazinH ,@RufusDufus excellent SMC3 utility and walkthrough. No motor output last night and the night before!*&%&$. I thought I couldn't get my dip switches correct well I slept on it and damn I'd wired the 5v from sabertooth to pin 13 not s1 to pin 13. This afternoon
    I ran PWMmax up to ~20 and got motor movement out of both motors!
    I'm using the 180 hall effect pots recommended by folks here. I have motors following feedback with some varience in speed at equal PWM values between motors (these likely have thousands of hours).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. weld12

weld12 New Member

Balance:
    250Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Waiting on some M12 threaded rod, locknut,washers for the PGSAW gearbox I got (thanks @Nick Moxley @noorbeast); M7 thrd rod for bracket attachment and motor to motor bracing ;) and 1/2-20 rod levers to seat.
    Forgot to mention the double flanged ujoint was salvaged from the scrap pile used in a 30' vertical shaft driven centrifugal pump. I have a few extra pieces of the yoke if I need more height (not 30' thougho_O)
    Thanks to this great community I'm very excited to start getting the motion going.
    :grin
    • Like Like x 1