1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Ardruino Leonardo Alternatives for DIY H-Shifter

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by SpeedyG, Jan 28, 2019.

1. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Balance:
    247Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, first time posting here. How's it going?

I wanted to try my hand at making a DIY H-shifter but I am fairly clueless when it comes to the electronical side of things. I have seen step-by-step guides that use the Arduino Leonardo with a USB output and you can map the microswitches as key presses I believe. My problem is that the Leonardo is slightly too big for the design that I have in mind, I was wondering whether there were any alternatives that would take up less room? Maybe Arduino themselves make something that will do the same job that is smaller? I came across the Pro Micro (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12640), would that work? I also wanted to use reed switches (GPS-14A reed switches to be specific) rather than micro switches, will they work on one of these types of boards?
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hey Speedy, did you ever get answers to this question?

If not, or for future reference; here goes.

Yes there are.

Just kidding thought I was going to just say yes and leave huh? :p I built my H-Shifter years and years...and years ago and it is still working strong.

So, the Pro Micro is a good choice, you can have a few buttons directly on the card or you can create a matrix for many many buttons (and several axis). MMJOY2 is a good utility to create the matrix (software side) and the axis (lots of options).

I use the Teensy ++ 2.0 (also using MMJOY2 to program it) as well as the TeensyLC (very tiny and cheap) for other DIY HID controller projects.

TeensyLC and Teensy ++2.0:
    https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensypp.html
    https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensylc.html

MMJOY2 programming/hardware guide:
    https://github.com/MMjoy/mmjoy_en/wiki

And finally, yes a reed switch will work just fine as it creates and open/closed circuit just like a micro switch but using a magnet rather than something pushing the contacts away from each other physically. Here is a guide:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/reed-switch-hookup-guide/all
  3. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Balance:
    247Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi there! Thanks for the info, one of those will do the job. Unfortunately my plans to build a H-Shifter have hit a snag with the realisation that having all the parts made by CNC would be quite expensive. What's yours like? Do you have any pics? Think I'll have to do something slightly more DIY than what I had originally planned.
  4. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Howdy again SpeedyG,

I built mine before my CNC router table was finished so it was all by hand. Here are a couple links. The first shows the original thread where I found the design and my own build post showing my shifter. I used large chunks of solid wood as that was what I had handy at the time. If I built a new one I would probably use something slimmer.

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/faq/diy-h-shifters.59/

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/12v-winch-motor-driving-simpit.4603/page-2#post-43870
  5. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    There is X/Y with pots/halls, just like ordinary axis, solution instead of swithes for H-shifters.
    And also, why not move the board itself somewhere and just leave some cables to the shifter itself. )
  6. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Balance:
    247Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Looks very solid, I can see why it's stood the test of time. I've actually seen that thread before, my initial plan was to build something similar, but then I stumbled upon this video:

...This convinced me to try something with that horizontal shaft design. I created a design in Blender, and then remade it in Fusion 360 so that I could export some .step files for CAM. Unfortunately I think that all the bespoke metal parts would see the cost of the whole project skyrocket, but so far all I've done is upload them onto 3D Hubs for a ball-park quote. I think they use milling machines exclusively for metal parts, it might be cheaper to have some of them routed or laser cut.

I uploaded some pics of my design on another thread:

CNC Parts for Sim Projects
  7. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Balance:
    247Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Can you explain to me what this is? An X/Y sensor, like a joystick? What are pots/halls? My design incorporates linear motion, so I'm not sure that would be an option. Good idea to have the board located outside of the shifter, but I think I've got a solution to having it placed internally now.
  8. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  9. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nice thing about mine is that it is easy to mount anywhere. And of course the only metal parts that need to be fabricated are the two ramped aluminum bits. Those were pretty easy to make with access to a band saw. I did later make an aluminum h-pattern but that wasnt really needed. Now I could 3D print one.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Balance:
    247Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Nice work, and made with easy to find parts too! My idea was to have parts made with CNC, but it looks like it would be quite expensive. That EMS software looks very useful, do you have a link for it?

I wondered how you made the ramped bits. I was planning to have the H-pattern on mine 3D printed too, at least that doesn't cost all too much. My design could easily be simplified and fabricated with a few tools and machines, including a lathe, but these are tools that I don't have, unfortunately.
  11. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    These days even the ramped bits could be 3d printed. I printed a prototype a few months ago that worked fine. Found the files ready to print on thingiverse. I used PetG to print it. If I remember I will take a picture of the assembled shifter and post it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1274947
  12. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Balance:
    247Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It looks like a good design, but I would prefer to do something made of metal. I've already got a G25 wheel with an H-shifter and was hoping to make something a bit more heavy duty. Gonna keep digging around to try and find quotes for the parts that I need.
  13. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0