1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Zen 6DOF Motion Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by pooh, Apr 27, 2020.

1. pooh

pooh Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    It is a bit faster this way Thanos however i had buttons speed set to 100...
    Bearing itself is not that loud as you can hear on the video and the ballscrew is even less noisy but aluminum enclosure resonates and the work table itself makes it more noisy. One thing i will need to probably exchange is ball nuts as they have plastic ends and one broke off and around 10 balls were inside enclosure. I've managed to assemble it again - we'll see...

1E2CB8A4-2C78-45A1-B6FA-1389DEB25D0F.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. pooh

pooh Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Other actuators were working better. Only the one that i had issue with ball screw was giving strange sounds so I've dissassembled it and regreased. It behaves like others now - we'll see for how long...

• Like Like x 3
  3. pooh

pooh Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    update on upper mounts. as a bonus - it was very easy to include @Dirty's comment about rubber between upper platform and actuators (10 euro washing machine 600x600x8mm rubber pad from Leroy Merlin). lower platform already stays on 15mm rubber pads:

IMG_8363.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. pooh

pooh Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    just when you think it's over...
    i've started moving it by 2 back actuators and i think there's too much play on the joints that makes it quite noisy and shaky...
    take a look (it can be heard rather than seen):

i already asked my locksmith to manufacture new pins so there is absolutely no play there.

since i've disassembled it totally i'm thinking about adding this 8mm rubber mat below those bearings that are on the lower platform - should help with silencing as well as some floor shaking.
    @Dirty , what do you think?
  5. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    5,117Coins
    Ratings:
    +574 / 1 / -0
    I think that so many people got quite acceptable results with using "pins in holes" or cheap(-ish) U-joints without ball bearings, that it is safe to assume that you will too :) I have no hands-on experience with this type of U-joint construction though.

If I remember correctly, I think @PeterW did make some efforts to get his hands on precision pins for his U-joints and those worked absolutely flawlessly. So much so that I was almost going to abandon my own "integrated-all-ball-bearing-mulitaxis-U-joint" development:
    Rig_COnstruction_2020-Mar-03_01-14-26PM-000_CustomizedView3622226751.png Rig_COnstruction_2020-Mar-03_01-57-17PM-000_CustomizedView18111842447_png.png IMG_0333 2.jpeg
    ...which in the end I didn't, and I am very happy with my choice. :)

In my opinion a rattle-free platform is very important! And a common misconception is that on a 6DOF rig those joints will be under a constant positive load, which is NOT the case. I'd estimate that, even when using the rig for smooth flying, my joints undergo a load direction change once every few seconds. Probably once a second on more action packed types of operation.

I did build those super smooth U-joints, but if you can achieve a tight tolerance with pins and holes it should get the job done.

Cheers,...:)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. pooh

pooh Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I'm redesigning those pins so theres no play. You can clearly hear and feel it while actuator moves at higher speed so it has to go. Especially at 500mm/s you can expect negative load.
    My question was actually more about this 8mm rubber mat below the bearing block on bottom platform.