1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

yobuddys motion simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by yobuddy, Oct 13, 2007.

1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    @EvanF – I got my gears here - https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=207

And if I understand you right, even if the motors are not enough to hold the chair in position without power being applied,
    they quite possibly may still work with only a minor ripple. Man that’s good to hear, because I was getting a little worried about it.

I was scared to put the gearing for the pot behind a welded arm or my setup may be a little different, guess I should prepare to break some pots testing out this thing. :eek:

Thanks for the feedback everybody

yobuddy
  2. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yobuddy,

Bear in mind I am coming from a 3DOF tripod configuration perspective and it therefore may have little relevance to you.

You may be lucky. The amount of grunt my motors put out are capable of chassis twist. Scaled down to windscreen wiper motors and the pots may survive the thrashing!

With wiper motors hopefully you won't have to slightly increase the PWM duty cycles to maintain a 'balance' when you want to hold a position. This is where the pulsing is most prominent.

What chair design are you using?

evanF
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I just watched your video a couple of more times - shooter-sim1.wmv –
    Man I can’t wait for some more videos of your chair with tronicgr’s controller attached!

I’m going for a frex type of setup, so the motors only have to move the weight around over a pivot point.
    They will be connected like in the first picture in the first post of this thread. That’s if my bad drawings help at all. :wink:

I hope to have some more pictures soon as it starts to take shape.

yobuddy
  4. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I posted a new video of the torture chair up on youtube the other day.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZ6I4XaXIM

I guess I didn't word my question correctly. I mean, are you using a blueprint design? I'd like to make a frex style too, to compare, but can't seem to find any plans.

Have you tried to get some mobility scooter motors? They are awesome and very powerful. If you like I could post some pix up.
  5. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The wiper motors should have some hold of their own even unpowered but in your case that they move like freewheel, I think that they still provide some hold.

Besides the PWM signal will always try to keep the last position commanded. In worst case they will positioned a little lower if loaded.

Thanos
  6. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I just thought I’d post some work in progress pictures.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope to have it done soon and have better pictures of the chair.
  7. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Real nice frame... I think your simulator is gonna be awesome. I'm following it for a while now. Keep up the good work.
  8. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yobuddy,

Nice work...... those T-shots sure looks nice....certainly looks like everything should work fine.

I think you might be the first auto rotary motor frex system with a metal frame.....seems like you have been making a lot of progress fast....Keep up the good work

Regards,
    Kyle
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, impressive framework!

What is the stroke length? Can you measure the max degrees on tilt for left - right?

Thanos
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Good job!

Perhaps you should reduce the with a little someday. But that are just cosmetics...

Do the motors hold position while sitting in the racing-seat?

Btw, where is this seat from? Could you name a brand?

ego
  11. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

I plan to make the frame a bit skinnier, but in doing so I would work the motors harder and I would like to see it operational before I make any changes.
    I’d say the chair tips left and right about 10 degrees at the moment, it actually tips a bit further but the controller will only use half the distance so I’d say about 10 degrees.
    Each motor has roughly 4 inches of travel. The motors do have some holding power but I believe the controller is going to have to help stabilize the chair in some instances.
    The chair itself is a racing seat I got at the local auto parts store, it is kind of expensive at $70 USD but it is only 11 pounds and should work well.

Now it’s time for me to get tronicgr controller done!
    yobuddy
  12. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to find all the parts that i need to build the frame. I'm going to weld it of 30x30x2 steel profiles. What i am looking for right now is the pots, but don't know wich ones i need. Going to try and build Thanos's avr-controller also. And what gears do i have to look for? I'm ordering it at http://www.conrad.nl. If the have what i need ofcourse.
  13. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
  14. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So if i understand you'll need 50k potentiometers?
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    50K pots are ok.

Generally pots with values 50k to 250K will work fine with my AVR controller...

Thanos
  16. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Yes, works good for me :wink: Exact value is not so important. 10k to 100k is also usable. Depends on what pot is available for you. If you go way out of this range there is either to much current flowing trough it or to little. Influencing on resolution and noise imunity.
  17. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the help so far...

I'm glad that i have found this site. The idea of building a race/ flight simulator was already a long time in my head, but the knowledge of hard and software, like x-sim and tronics controller, is too poor.

So with the help of the people on this forum i can start my own project. You guys already have helped a lot. :) Learned a lot about actuators, eletronics and all the other kind of stuff with what you have to deal with when you want to build a simulator. Thanks for that. Its very interresting and can't wait to build and experience my own simulator.

The first idea was a rock 'n ride like simulator on pneumatics but then i saw the frex and the way of simulation that they use and realised, that it would be the best setup to simulate a car, i think.

I have chosen for a mix of simhawks sim and yobuddys sim. Frex like setup with the shiftpots that simhawk uses and the wipermotors like yobuddy, but frame out of steel profiles. And ofcourse i will need the tronic avr-controller. But first the frame...

I will post my project when i have some pictures.
  18. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Hi Yobuddy. Thanks to EgoExpress I am taking a very keen interest in a Frex type motion simulator using Tronicgr's AVR Controller. The idea of using wiper motors over expensive electric actuators is of course appealing.

What are the electrical specifications of the average wiper motor ? I know that someone mentioned using 24V motors from an electric wheelchair/buggy but these are not so easily available second-hand. One thing that I have thought of is the sudden proliferation of small electric scooters, a lot of which will get sidelined once broken or the rider has fallen foul of the Police. I have seen both 12V motor and 24V motor versions of these.

Might these motors be suitable for this type of project ?
  19. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Please look here for the simulator of ElectronicJack. He has build his simulator in a frex design with whipper motors - ready to drive!

http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/mein-x- ... -t709.html

Youbuddy - how far is yur implementation of your sim, are there any news?

kind regards
    René
  20. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Roadster2
    You're not wrong, I have accumulated 4 scooters paying only (on average) $15 for each of them. 2 at 12v/100w and the other 2 at 24v/100w. The 12volters draw over 20amps at stall. Good way to buy cheap 100w motors but they do not have internal gearing and the pulley assembly is too light for heavy loading. I also managed to score a 350W scooter cheap which does have some grunt.

I have an electric scooter 'how to mod' video on youtube which I used as a basis for my research on mosfet motor controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWM6UdB4QbI

Hope it helps you.

EvanF