1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

yobuddys motion simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by yobuddy, Oct 13, 2007.

1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    In anticipation of “Tronic's PWM/servo control Interface with encoder/pot input” I have decided to try to build a frex type setup driven by simple wiper motors.
    I’m really only at the stage of collecting the parts and trying to put together my plans for the chair.

update:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnR0C7ENzIw

Here are some Ideas / pic I have come up with..

whiper_motor2.jpg
    MyFrex.jpg

Motor_Setup.jpg

From what I can see, I will need at least:

1 VN2 Dual Motor or HB25’s
    2 Wind shield wiper motors
    1 Tronic’s PWM servo Controller
    1 12v car battery and a way to charge it

This covers the materials needed to make it move not including pot’s or frame / chair.
    This seems like it would make a very low cost FREX like setup.

yobuddy
  2. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    I will follow your project, please keep posting your progress.
    BTW: Did you finish your pneumatic setup?
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @yobuddy

Please edit my sketch and remove the pots!
    I dont want anyone to make this mistake once again.

The encoders or rotary pots have to be mounted directly to the motors. Take a look at EvanF's pot mount.
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi yobuddy

Looks good!

But, are you sure are you going to drive the cockpit directly from the wiper motors? I believe they might be weak to lift the weight as fast as they will lower it. Maybe you should add to your design some bungee cords that counterbalance the main weight and help a little the motors. And a small simple pulley system will add more motion distance.

See a picture from Roland's design (http://www.simprojects.nl) that did something simular to his simulator:

[​IMG]

(ignore the lower part of the picture)

Regards, Thanos
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Dont mention. They are strong enough. The seat is balanced out. Just for comparison: The SCN5 have 10kgf max.

For lift movments both actuators have to move which results in 2times the force of one wiper motor.

To build such a bunjee cord system would be waste of time Imho.
  6. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    @SimHawk - My pneumatic setup is done except for the frame, since I do not know how to weld, I am at the mercy of people that do.
    This is one of the reasons this type of frex frame is such a cool idea, it makes it possible for people with more electronics skills (like me) than welding skills to complete a good looking frame.
    Here is a picture of my valve control unit for my r'n'r pneumatic setup.

[​IMG]

@tronicgr – I don’t believe the motors will have a hard time running the chair directly,
    because most of the weight of the rider will be transferred to the pivot point under the chair,
    so all the motors really have to do is move the chair around.
    And like ego said, there are two motors working for every action of the simulator, which results in twice the force.

[​IMG]

My order of T-Slot has arrived.

[​IMG]

My motors and gears have arrived also.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the feedback!
    yobuddy
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I have mounted 200 brackets until now. And it is not finished yet.

How many brackets/screws have you ordered? :)

Just by looking at the pic I think you need much more edge connections to get it rock-stable.
  8. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    @yobuddy - How much noise is the released air from the valves producing?
  9. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    @SimHawk – The cylinders are with my buddy so he can attach them to the frame, so I have not even hooked it up to pressure yet.

@egoexpress - I have one connector for every piece you see in the second picture in my first post above. I'm pretty sure I have the bare minimum for the frame, but we will see as it progresses.
    I went with 1.5” t-slot (~38mm), may I ask what size you are using?
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Probably you have enough connectors for the base frame, but not uf you want to build a wheel-mount frame as well.

1,5 is enough. My T-slots are 40x40mm. The simconmotion uses 30x30 afaik.
  11. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yobuddy,

here is a video of a guy that made a wiper motor frex. I saved it cause he was using the same office chair I have and did it ultra cheap.

I believe since then he has added better quality or newer motors and did some experiementing with 24V to the wiper.

Can't recall the forum name but it started with a G ....grinne or something like that.

The thread is from the rsc.net forum so you might want to search that. If I find it first I can point you to it.....right now the site is down or something for me.

....You could then maybe inquiry to him about some of his experience with it.

I would actually like to see how far he has done as the first attempt was some time ago.

anyway....might help your cause + to let you know someone got it to work.

http://www.foreveryoursmedia.com/ivibe/ ... _draft.wmv
  12. Ferrari_Man

Ferrari_Man Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hey..

Its looks like a very good and strong way too do it, and cheap not too forget. I am very interested in hearing how the project goes. Things like pot mounting and ofcause the new interface tronicgr is building when is ready.

... Ferrari man
  13. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    While I wait for more parts to arrive, I decided to put together a wiring diagram. If you find any mistakes please let me know.

yobuddy

[​IMG]
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice wiring diagram!

And the colored lines makes it easier to read! :top:

Do you mind if I use it to accompany my project? It will help many to do the proper wirings.

Thanos
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thanks yobuddy! :gut:

ego
  16. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Here are some pictures of my completed motor mounts. (I Think)
    After a few days of failed attempts to make some motor arms, I had a friend pull out the welder. :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

With the gearing, when the motor moves half way around, the pot moves 3/4 way around or 270 degrees.
    This is pretty much a cheap single turn pots max travel.

It concerns me a little that with medium force I can spin the motor;
    I guess I won’t know till I get done if the motors are strong enough to hold the chair in place with someone sitting in the chair.

@ tronicgr – Do your motors rotate any when you get in and out of your simulator?

Here is a bad pic of my homemade PCB (need batteries for camera)– I’m finally done drilling (I Think)

[​IMG]

yobuddy
  17. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Good work yobuddy! :top:
    I am also interested in how this works out. Do you have the possibility to test them stand alone to see how much force they are able to generate
    How is your frame coming along?
  18. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Yobuddy,

No, its impossible to turn my motors with hand, they don't move even placed on the motion cockpit frame. I can throw all my weight and it won't move at all. After all it has trapezoid screw!

I assume that your motors gearbox just have normal gears in it... Why don't you unscrew the gearbox lid to take a look inside...

Regards, Thanos
  19. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    I have actually taken them apart to look inside and they have a normal worm gear. I’m surprised I’m able to move them at all.

I should have the frame done in the next couple of weeks or so.
    When powered they produce quite a lot of force so I believe they will move the chair without problem,
    I’m just not sure what is going to happen once the power is cut to the motor,
    I guess if the motor position starts to slip the motor controller will just kick in and put the motor back to the right spot.

yobuddy
  20. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yo buddy,

The way you have setup your pot feedback is similar to mine. In my experience I have flogged out 3 pots this way. With the amount of power and movement with rapid reversals of the motor the direct gear method just transfers too much unwanted movement. This transfers through the shaft of the cheap pots and bends the brush contacts. I am looking at driving the pots from the rear of the motor shaft now so to avoid the heavy mechanical movement.

BTW where did you get your nylon gears?

Again, I have freewheel and yes when you move away from position your PWM will kick in and reset the chair, I am finding a lot of pulsing vibration as this does this (PWM 5khz) and I am hoping Thanos AVR board, with PWM at 20khz, should be fast enough to reduce this pulse to a minor ripple if anything.

Hope this helps

evanF