1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

X-Sim support for SCN5 actuators

Discussion in 'XSimulator Q&A/FAQs - Outdated' started by yobuddy, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The final solution will be a USB->RS485 converter, because comports are not common these days. Most Laptops dont have even a single comport anymore.

I dont have doubts that Thanos will come up with a DIY USB->RS485 converter.

But for testing purposes of the SCN5 controller interface, a simple RS232->485 converter on breadboard will do the job.

Regards
    Christian
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, this is what I think as the best solution too. I'll use the circuit suggested from FTDI with a hardware OR filtering of the transmitting data. The only thing left is to order some FT232R breakout boards from sparkfun to confirm the pin dimensions so we could have this just plug on the bigger PCB that will hold the rest of the electronics (max485, TC connectors, etc)

post8795.html#p8795

I guess that Sparkfun's FT232R breakout board is the best solution so far, any thoughts on this? Does anyone have suggestions on using a different FT232R breakout board?

Regards, Thanos
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know. Sure its cheaper. But the easier way to make it in USB style, is to use this cheap breakout board that will just plug on top of the rest of the electronics:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=718

Its price is 15.00 USD (=10 EUR) and the shipping costs are about 4.5 USD... Using this breakout board we don't have make SMT (28-Lead SSOP) friendly PCB for the FT232R chip and not bother to solder it afterwards. I know how difficult is to handle SMT chips! What this breakout board does in reality is to make the FT232R chip breadboard friendly!!!

The rest of the materials (MAX485,TC connectors, resistors, host pcb) are cheap and I don't think it will cost more than 20euro for anyone to make a complete USB_to_RS485 converter this way! And additional 20euro per SCN5 motor to connect them using USB its a little money I think.

BTW. not all computers have two serial ports these days, some don't have serial port at all! I think its time to move on to USB! I'll perhaps use this breakout box on my next AMC (or UAMC) release too!

Regards, Thanos

Not related to these stuff, but funny:
    lamplamp.jpg
  4. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey guys my computer doesn't have a serial port at all so i'm hoping you guys can come up with a usb solution as that would be ideal for me.
  5. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys so what is the status on the SCN5 any body ordered o nothing yet let me know thank you.

Charlypro
  6. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ Sirnoname

Ok, I have already put much of the parts on the layout, but there is one thing that concerns me about. Should I power it from the USB port or add external power input with +5v voltage regulator? The power consumption would be around 20mA but I'd like to have it isolated from the USB in case something goes wrong! What do you think is the best?

And have in mind, that the preferred way of driving each adapter is through direct access to the FT232R chip, using the D2XX driver DLL (NOT VIRTUAL COM PORT!!!!)

FT232R_application.gif

Regards, Thanos
  7. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    I just wanted to let everyone know that the SCN5 test actuator has been paid for and should ship today!! :thbup:

@thanos – Would it be worthwhile to make it selectable on the PCB? (power it from the USB port or external power supply)

yobuddy
  8. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, the DIY USB_to_RS485 adapter is ready!!! Take a look on the next photos:

USB_485_combined_print.gif

USB_485_photo_top.gif

USB_485_photo_bottom.gif

As you can see, the Sparkfun's breakout board sits on the bigger board that I designed!

-Added selectable power source between USB and external power source (7v-30v input in TC connector).
    -Added optional pull-up and pull-down resistors to ensure high transmission speed.
    -Added protection from voltage surges, EMI noise etc.
    -And last, added status Leds to verify the receive/transmit function!!!

PCB layout, as well list of the components, will be available the next days...

Regards, Thanos

EDIT: Fixed the photos with corrected ones!!
  9. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Looks great Thanos!
    And with all those options, we are sure to find what works best! :thbup:

Thanks!
    yobuddy
  10. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey Thanos, would it be possible to pay you personally for the board or do we have to make it ourselves? also, do we absolutely need to make it or are they already made somewhere for relatively cheap? you guys are WAY WAY WAY more advanced then me in all your talks, half the time i think your speaking german when its english :eek:

once you guys get everything straightened out can you make this as simple as possible for all the things i'd need to get this setup working? :sos:
  11. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Thanos can you talk me what program use for make the board thank you.

12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi njracer,

I just design these interfaces. I don't have the resources or the time to build them for others (thats why its called DIY!!!). And its pretty easy to assemble it once you have the PCB board. So you can request from an etching service to make the PCB board for you, and then solder yourself the components on it. All components are thru-hole and easy to find.

Perhaps some of the members could arrange a small production of this adapter for a small fee (10%). Or maybe we could ask Sparkfun to make it as a product so it is available to all ;)

Regards, Thanos
  13. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But if you use D2XX driver DLL to control it directly from x-sim software (bypassing the virtual comport issue) and assign different VID/PID to each using FTDI tools, there is no need to change each SCN5 ID!!!!!

http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

Lets do what Frex also did!!! :lol:

Regards, Thanos
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We can use whatever we want! But as it says in the Mprog manual, we also have to change a few things in ini files....

MProg_PID_VID_setting.pdf

Regards, Thanos
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    In general I think we shouldnt mind FTDI as VID owner. We just need different PIDs for our purposes.

But we should ask FTDI soon, if this offer is valid even for customers who buy a single chip/breakout-board.

Regards
    Christian

btw, bona-fides = Gutgläubigkeit
  17. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hey, Tronic!

Great job!
    But, that is just for one actuator, right?
    Isn't it possible to have a single board to control both actuators?

Cheers,

Erick
  18. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    @MasterYoda :hi:

I believe you could just build 2 of these on the same PCB, and simply plug both of them into a cheap USB hub to have a single USB cable that plugs into your PC.
    USB hubs are so cheap; I don’t see any reason to try to build our own.

yobuddy
  19. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that... we could ask FTDI to give us two PID numbers that we can use on this, or one custom PID and use the standard PID for the other adapter.

Here is a quote from AVRfreaks that discussed this long ago:

Regards, Thanos
  20. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I had some suggestions from AVRfreaks forum that look interesting... :yippiee:

Regards, Thanos
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.