1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

X-Sim support for SCN5 actuators

Discussion in 'XSimulator Q&A/FAQs - Outdated' started by yobuddy, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey guys, wondering if x-sim works with vista 64?
  2. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hey, Thanos,

Could you explain why this breakout board is needed?
    Could you post the link to order them?

Thanks.

Me
  3. wtf im nameless

wtf im nameless New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I found this thread from the link at rscnet. I wish I had heard about this earlier.. I am not a programmer or anything of the sort, but if there is anything I can do to help I will. This project is amazing!!

Will it be possible to run two seats for both driver and passenger with motion assuming I have four SCN5 actuators, two on each seat?

Regards,

nameless
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @nameless
    Welcome! Actually you can run almost infinite seats side by side, by using an external comport hub. 2 seats are no problem.

@MasterYoda
    The breakout board is the USB converter component, that alters the RS232/485 conection to USB/485.

Btw, Google is quite usefull sometimes ;D

Regards
    Christian
  5. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Ok! Ego,

I just looked at the picture from last Thanos' post and got it!
    I hadn't seem it before, in the rush of work when I put my question...

Sorry! :(

Cheers,

Me
  6. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5

Look at this... I just got a feedback from EKM on their converter:

Hi Erik--Yes, these are RS-485, half-duplex. I'm quite sure they will work for your use. I sell them for use with my meters, and the communication is 2-way, so it sounds quite similar to your use. I wrote the sofware, and there is nothing in the software to handle traffic control. It just works. Bottom line, if it doesn't work for you, I'll refund your money. Just let me know that you want to return it.

The device doesn't work as well on the Mac as on PC, so that's a potential problem if you're using a Mac.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Best regards

Doug

EKM METERING

It seems it will work fine, including the actuator ID... Right?
    Or, am I missing some point again? :sos:

With the possibility of returning them it they don't do the job I think it is a no brainer... :?

Your input is appreciated, guys.

Cheers,

Me
  7. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Thanks a lot for the lesson SirNoName! 8)

Would you mind to elaborate a little more on what I would be loosing if my adapter does not support the 2ms required by the Dyadic Tools?
    I understand even on the slower switching speed of 100ms I would still have actuators ID, etc... The only thing is that I will have to set it myselft on X-Sim Plugin... Right?

Is it right to say that X-Sim solution will have a less noticeable lag that the Frex system?
    I can feel the lag on their system. Even with the application priority set to real time.

Additional info received from EKM after I forwarded them the SCN5 manual:

Hi Erick--The converter I sell comes with a little board plugged into the RS-232 looking port on the converter. There are connection points on the little board for A and B (+ or -). Page 9 of your manual shows connections TRx+ and TRx-. I'm quite sure that if you connect + to + and - to -, that will give you what you need. It's hard to say if the +5V is going to be needed. I'd start by trying it without it, add it if that doesn't work. I really have no idea if it will work to remove the little board that comes with the adapter and plug in the RS-232 type plug on the Dyadic converter ADP-1.

Bottom line, I think it will work. I think it will be a question of how to hook it up.

Cheers,

Me
  8. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where can I download the new version of X-sim software I have my sim ready to test with the scn5 thank you

Charly
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    You need at least a pair of RS232/485 converters. You can solder the one Sirnoname proposed, or you have to buy one. But be sure its switching speed is fast enough. Its recommended to post a link here, before you buy a pair of them.

As well you need a pair of cable connections between pc and converters (serial cable) and another ones between SCN5' and converters (dont know if SCN5 uses standard RS485 connectors?)

You dont need more than that. SCN5, cables and converter. In case you want USB connection, then you have to wait for Thanos solution. Imho you should start a try with RS232/485 and upgrade later to USB, if needed.
    Those converters are cheap anyway.

You can download it here:
    http://x-sim.de/download.html

Regards
    Christian
  10. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi, SirNoName...

When I talk about 100ms switching speed, I am assuming the worst case scenario.
    I don't believe this converter I posted is so slow... Will try to find it out.

But, as per your explanation, the game will be asked every 50ms, which would make not necessary to have a converter faster than this, unless your smother plug-in will be working in smaller time intervals, right?

When I say I set the SCM to realtime, I am just talking about Windows Task Manager... I am not discussing whether that is real real or not! :)

As for the affinity, I use this little application which runs on boot up to set all affinities correctly.
    http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_softw ... /index.htm

Are your telling me the lag I notice it somehow not real? It would be just my impression? :?
    100ms or .1s seems to be a lot to me. :eek:

Thanks again for all your patience to discuss these points with me.

Cheers,

Me
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    IMPORTANT:

Please note that you will use the SCN5 plugin at your own risk! Please be very carefull with the settings, as they could easily damage your acutators, if the internals smash against the endstops.

I highly recommend for the initial tests, to restrict the overall actuator movement to 50%.

Perhaps Sirnoname should restrict the max movement in X-Sim by default even, for now.
    When we'll be some more familiar with the SCN5, we will be able to rise the max stroke lenght. But please be careful!

Regards
    Christian
  12. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    -> mass inertia of racedriver!
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    SCN5 have no endswitches implemented. There are just defined endpoints by software!
    So the ballscrew nut and the bearings could get damaged.
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Perhaps Nathan havent understood my question correctly. But he stated it. I'll have a look for the email later.

But however, when you reach 9,8cm with 400+mm/s, then no endswitch will be able to stop the acutator, and it will get damaged.
    So a stroke limitation will be necessary. The faster the acutator is, and the more load is applied to it, the more saftey zone is needed.

Regards
    Christian
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.