1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

X-Sim support for SCN5 actuators

Discussion in 'XSimulator Q&A/FAQs - Outdated' started by yobuddy, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    They are not cheap, but we know they work well with a frex like simulator setup.

Could we get them to work with x-sim?

yobuddy

EDIT: topic title changed to a more describing one - egoexpress
    EDIT: added a current donation list - yobuddy

*** Current donation list for test SCN5 Actuator ***

Tronicgr Donation Received - Thanks
    MasterYoda Donation Received - Thanks
    Christian Donation Received - Thanks
    RaceRay Donation Received - Thanks
    CMM83 Donation Received - Thanks
    Charlypro Donation Received - Thanks
    Zapan Donation Received - Thanks
    Michael N. Donation Received - Thanks
    Egoexpress Donation Received - Thanks
    yobuddy Donation Received - Thanks
    Roadster2 Donation Received - Thanks
    Ferrari_man Donation Received - Thanks
    Etienne Donation Received – Thanks
    Njracer Donation Received – Thanks
    Anonymous supporter Donation Received – Thanks
    Ringorumble Donation Received - Thanks
    Michael Haertsch Donation Received - Thanks

If you see any mistakes, please let me know.
    Thanks everyone! :cheers:
    yobuddy
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: SCN5 available online

Theoretically it is possible, as the Profiler has a parser string output. We talked about them some time ago, but we are afraid of the shipping and taxes to europe.

If someone would buy at least one we could test it...

regards
    Christian
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

400$ excluding shipping & taxes
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0

I’m pretty sure the 50mm ones would work for my SimforceGT chair but I would buy the 100mm ones just to play it safe. I have about 100mm of travel on my chair now with the wiper motors and it is more movement than is needed IMHO.

The real question I see is if we are going to need the PC Programming Kit to go along with the actuator?

Also, there is no tax or shipping cost for me to order them at least where I live (they have free shipping), I’m not sure what It would cost to ship them to sirnoname thou.

yobuddy
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

There is nothing needed additionally. Afaik, X-Sim is able to communicate with them directly via com-port and parser string output. The command string has to consist of some some numbers and characters including a checksum at the end, which is described in their manual.

uploader/download.php?datei=EE06426I-EN.rar
    page 20+ (description of the parser string incl. example)

Regards
    Christian
  6. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi guys I am new in the forum I try to use the X-sim with the SCN5 I have one in my hand so can you guys give me some help for make comunication with that I every thing that I need I belive but I am no sure who to make the configuration in the X-sim interface so give hand I will post the resulte here sorry for my english and thank you in advance.
  7. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0

Unless I’m mistaken, scn5 support could bring a lot to the table. For one it could bring the first “plug and play” x-sim setup where people would not need to attach potentiometers for feedback or build any type of controller for the motors. It looks like we could use a power supply instead or battery and a recharger which would be a big plus I believe. It would also bring support for all those frex systems and help grow the x-sim community with more hard core sim’ers.

In short, I think it would also open up the possibility for many more people to build motion simulators as all they would really need to build is a frame and learn to use x-sim.

What do you guys think?

yobuddy
  8. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i think i'd be a great idea to get x-sim to work with scn5 actuators. i know i'll be getting a couple if you guys manage to get them to work. what would be all the things we'd need to get, the scn5 actuators, what else? really looking forward to seeing where this goes :yippiee:
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

As I have said before. I am afraid of the shipping costs and taxes to Germany. Especially the taxes. But if someone would lend Sirnoname at least one SCN5 acutator for testing purposes, I am quite sure that he will be able to make them running.
    Sending it private, will save the taxes...

I think it wont be possible to test/develop support for them remotely overseas through forum and PMs.

An option would be as well, to buy a test actuator together. 10 guys * 40$ = 400$
    Yobuddy for example could order one for us then...
    In case we bought one together, Sirnoname should be allowed to keep it for his efforts :thbup:

Regards
    Christian
  10. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0

We could save a couple of dollars by buying the 50mm actuator for testing, which is $325 + $45 for the cable = 370 + shipping to sirnoname, so about $400 - lol.
    I am more than willing to chip in 40$ and ship it privately to sirnoname if people are interested.

yobuddy
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

But saving some bucks to have a 50mm one, that wont have any application later, isnt a good idea I think. I am not sure if we have to order the cable as well. Isnt it industrial standard?

Me too!

Anybody else?
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with yobuddy.

I can give 40$ too for this purpose, from my online savings (through paypal).

:cheers:

Regards, Thanos
  13. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Guys I don't have problem too for put my $40 dollars and I can talk you that we don't need the cable I have the diagram for the cable and I know where is the power and the break protection so I can give you that information.
  14. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0

You can’t add an actuator to their online shopping cart without a cable, it could be that they are available somewhere else that does not require you to buy this cable; but after some google’ing the only other places to buy the actuator does not have free shipping. So it may be worth it to just get the cable.

Thanks for the show of support guys!
    For people with frex systems, I think $40 is very cheap to have support for many more games and immediate support for future releases.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the scn5 actuators on a frex system?

It would be cool to match the setup so people with frex systems would not have to change anything to run X-Sim. Maybe someone with a frex simulator could make a simple wiring diagram with a power supply and pc hookup?

yobuddy
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Forget that, there is a microcontroller-box between computer and actuator. Nothing of the Frex equipment but the SCN5 will be compatible.

The wiring can be seen in the SCN5 manual

uploader/download.php?datei=cyloperationman.rar

Regards
    Christian
  16. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have the diagram for the motor but the frex system use an motion control box connected thrue USB, but those motor work with RS-485 signal so maybe we can use converter RS-232 to RS-485 so we can use the serial output RS-232 from X-Sim direct direct to the converter RS-232 to RS-485 is it could be possible will be direct to the motor we don't need nothing between motor an pc.
  17. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5

Hi! Guys,

My 1st post around here! :)
    But, I have already read a couple of your posts and projects... Amazing job you guys do in here!

I own a Frex SCM and I am starting to get really worried about the lack of support on the drivers side... It's been a while we don't see the addition of any new game.
    Even iRacing, we are not able to get any word from Frex whether they will ever support the title.

So, I would be willing to hep with another $40 if someone explains me EXACTLY what I will need to build as interface between the actuators and the computer.
    I understand I can save the Actuators and its Power Supply, right?! :lol:

Cheers,

Erick
  18. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0

I left a message with http://www.automation4less.com to see if it is possible to order the actuator without the extra cable length, I will post the answer when I get a call back from them.

yobuddy
  19. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  20. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0

Another 40 $ from me ! Good Idea, the scm rocks but the support is crap. Sold mine 2 weeks ago
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.