1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

X-Sim motion question

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by rbickle, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rbickle

rbickle New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

I have been working on a motion flight simulator for a while now and have just discovered this site. I'm so glad to find it!

I have designed my simulator to have unlimited motion in the pitch and roll axes. I was wondering if the X-Sim software would handle that, or if it will only handle tilting deisgns.

Thanks,
    Rick
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Rick,

That sounds interesting... Can you post a drawing or a photo of your simulator?

I don't think that there will be problem for the x-sim software to handle any type of motion simulator. All the motion data can be shaped to your simulator's motion profile easily!

Regards, Thanos
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hey Rick,

I am curious to see it as well.
    What are you using as motor driver and motion control hardware?

Regards
    Christian
  4. rbickle

rbickle New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, Here is a simple AutoCad diagram of the system.

<a class=postlink href=http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp181/rbickle/FS1_Diagram.jpg target=_blank>http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 ... iagram.jpg</a>

To add some scale, the cockpit section is 4ft. wide x 4.5ft high x 8ft. long. The supports have to hold it 6ft. off the floor to allow it to have unlimited pitch.
    I have a 5hp AC servo motor for the pitch axis and a 2.5hp AC servo motor for the roll axis. I have motor drives for the servos, but I will probably need to build something to interface from the PC to the motor drives. I prefer to do this using an embedded controller as they are more stable than a PC. DOn't want a 5hp servo going crazy on me if the PC crashes...

Rick
  5. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. rbickle

rbickle New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes,

In fact, that's the machine that got me thinking about building a motion simulator in the first place. I saw one of them in Tennessee and wanted to build one of my own. I also went to the Amusement expo in Orlando last year and saw it as well as most of the other commercially available units. BTW, those Max Flight machines are $200k and up. I'm trying to build mine for somewhat less...

Rick
  7. rbickle

rbickle New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The servo motors have encoders on them.
    If necessary, I can also install separate encoders on the simulator.

Rick
  8. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sirnoname:if it servo and driver are for cnc machines then encoder is connect to driver. You only send data to driver (step/dir or analog ...) and he do all job.

edit:
    In home CNC machines they use charge pump-PC must generate specific pulzes (40 Hz) and in case of control driver dont get it it will stop. It could help in case of blue death or another malfunction.
  9. rbickle

rbickle New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes,

The servo motor drives will accept a step/direction input or an analog voltage input. I plan to create an embedded controller board to accept input from X-Sim and generate the appropriate outputs to the motor drives. This board can also accept encoder inputs to have feedback for motion control as well as an emergency stop input. This way, if the PC crashes, the embedded controller will continue to handle the high power motors gracefully. I design and program embedded systems for a living, so this won't really be a big deal. I'll be happy to share the deisgn info. when it's done.

I have just started reading your documentation on the details of X-Sim and it's outputs. Great job BTW, wish I had found this sooner!
    Is there any documentation on the equations / algorithms behind the motion cueing available?

Rick
  10. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings: