1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Writing a motion cueing software from scratch.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Dirty, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    927Coins
    Ratings:
    +135 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    The 8bit vs 12bit I'm discussing here is for speed apparently.

I will definitely give it a try, hopefully in just the next few days. I have the sim running now, next I have to figure out all the measurements.

Last night I found that I have about a touch under 60 degrees of available travel on the torque arms, with 190mm radius. The biggest negative on my new setup is that the middle of travel is at 75.75 degrees, far below the ideal center where the torque arm is perpendicular to the actuator rod. I had to make this compromise in order to prevent interference between the actuator rods and the supporting structures. I think I will make a post to show my modifications tonight or tomorrow. I'm not ready for the final update post, but I can share the big "secret" mod here in this thread and/or my 6DOF issues thread for you guys I think.
  2. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz

Balance:
    2,667Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Not sure if the speed difference is relevant.

I don’t notice any delay on raw output with 12 bit
  3. harwoodr

harwoodr New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    310Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Sorry - been focused on working on my simulator and writing up a report for it.

My filters (provided by scipy) let me specify the frequency they operate at - so they expect that any update is within that frequency period. So I have that matching the rate at which simtools sends commands.