1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

wiper motors whos shaft do not move under load?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by kjg71, Apr 28, 2008.

1. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone had any luck finding wiper motors that have a worm gear that hold there position under load when stoped (0V)? I have tried 2 and both move under load...one takes plyers to move and the other moves with channel lock or a pulley/setscrew and turned by hand. (Both have resistance, but still move)

Under cable/pulley and the weight of body these definately do not hold (for a pitch or roll motion)

Thanos,

I know you said your do in fact hold but I am wondering if this is something that was done away with on newer wiper motors as I believe yours are 1980 motors from a junkyard...correct? Do you know where to get your same motors new or surplus. I am also wondering if yours are holding because your pots and the positioning code you have hold them under voltage, contstantly keeping it in position even when under weight?

What would happen if you went half way through a roll (bank) and then killed the power? would it just hold all your body weight under load suspended by nothing more then that little shaft? Perhaps it holds at 0V when you are balanced and centered sitting strait up at 0V........but I wonder if the motor has V under load when you are at a hold and in an angled position, putting...for the most part, all you r body weight on it. Is this something you can test?

Really want to try to get sucess with wiper if there are some that have a completely sold holding shaft although I am wondering if this is a rare find? Really don't want to go with linears accuators as they are $120 more and pots are easier to set up with wipers (unless linears have built in pots)

For everyone,

Let me know if anyone else has had luck with wiper motors holding under 0V and under some pressure/weight ?

Regards
    Kyle
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I think one should be able to see on the wiper motors housings, if they have wormgears.

Do you have a pic of your motors for us?

Regards
    Christian

Just an example of a wormgeared motor:
    [​IMG]
  3. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am using that very one pictured + a trico brand style similar to thanos

http://monsterguts.com/electric-motors- ... rod_4.html

I believe Thanos is from a euro make car older model 1980's maybe?

i think it may depend on the motor how strong it is. if you are using cables and they are balancing the weight there is a lot on the worm gears.

I think older wiper might have been better and new stuff is less strong. That is the only thing I can think of. I am not sure if it has become a safety thing or what but these are auto motors and you can reverse them if an accident occured (child fingers in powerwindow or mechanics hand in the hood.....just guessing...I am just wondering if others are noticing this or do I have week brands?
  4. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Wormgears only full lock when the tooth angle from the wheel is less than 3 degrade.
  5. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now there's a spec I don't think I will see in the motor description :D .....thanks for the info this is good to know. I guess I can ask about if the worm gear fully locks when looking to buy. maybe a seller might actually know. THe other way of course is word of mouth of someone who has found one.

Ego, ..just curious does your figulai accuators hold? are they worm geared as such? I imagine they are as I own a powerseat one (different brand - very slow) but the one I have is at least very solid....be nice good to know if figilai's do...have not heard bad from them on it? still want to see if I can do it with wipers but if I had to go this route, it would be good to be informed

Can still work on yaw and surge more (these motions are not effected by opposing weight)..so the current motors are fine..and hopefully a wiper for roll and pitch (locked worm gear) will surface.

If anyone still knows of a brand, please post. I know of 3 other brands sources so maybe I can get a seller to comment on that characteristic..... till then if others know of on-line sources.....let me know. I kind of do not want to keep buying unless I know for sure on this

thanks
    Kyle
  6. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was emailing the seller of my second motor which is more like Thanos'.

I included some illustrations and wanted to add them here in this thread as well. Example #1 is more like Thanos in that weight is to the side of the motor perhaps via tower/motor mount. Obviously, Thanos' is really a close loop with flywheel (but you get the idea). The 2nd is my current design where it is within/under the mechanics/platform requiring only a motor mount.

This in no way is to say which way is better as a matter of fact if I went with a linear accuator, I would have to go to the side and do the example #1.

This post is only meant to show 2 different setups and to better explain what is happening visually. I am really hoping to user wiper cause they are strong enough just need to get past this when stopped or holding issue.

Kyle

Attached Files:

7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Kyle,

My wiper motors are from Nissan model 85', and particularly model B-11 !!

And yes its impossible to rotate them with hand, body or whatever weight you put on it if not powered!

And although its a positive to have it hold its position while in motion, I had to make manual controls for them while constructing my joyrider, to reposition them when needed! :rofl:

And when sometimes something was gone bad, and the frames was locking into 45degrees, I had to repair the electronics first to get it upright! :eek:

About a month ago I tried to measure the load of my wiper motors with a dynamo meter with scale of up to 30Kg, but somehow it broke and its spring launched bouncing in the room!! :lol:

I think that any Nissan compatible wiper motor will behave the same even with the more new models! And these wiper motors was of the few that already had crank arm attached on their output axle, with the ability to easy remove the ball on it!

http://ptyxiouxos.net//greekbotics/user_projects/Flight_Simulator/wiper_motors_pulley.htm

Regards, Thanos
  8. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Thanos,

......and so the challange begins I would like to find a source that has them new so they are readily available since they are 14-$20 USD new it certainly is affordable.

It would be nice if Nissan would sell them directly to us. :)

I use a calibration/control program to align fix them, but yes you need to have something in place to move a motor if it has hold characteristics.

I'm pretty excited to find out that it's only the brand and that it is possible to go the wiper motor route.

well.......I'll keep the search on and keep all updated to what I find.

Regards,
    Kyle
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Someone that makes those motors, commented my wiper fix video:

This model 940 wiper motor is the one we make here in Jideco Phillippines. We produce this model for Nissan cars...

We are producing about 16,000 wiper motors and 30,000 power window motors daily by the way .. :) The one that you have is an old model TT322 940 designed for NISSAN Altima... I am from Philippines

See entire comments here:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XZHyXPuMxFo

Hope this info helps locate them... :cheers:

Regards, Thanos