1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Wiper motor recommendations

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Nath Older, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi guys, can anyone recommend a certain wiper motor? Or from a certain manufacturer?
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Have a look on NIDEC motors in my signature: cheap 35€, good torque, irreversible and already ground isolated!

Mind that any other wiper has to be ground isolated!
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    12v for sure, large passenger car, earth isolate it , no specific model
    testing motor.jpg
    After that , look into big worm gear motors like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEAR-MOTOR-1...ILLCRAB-POT-PULLFEED-150160-rpm-/370915744975
    http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html 12v version
    And i suggest the Pololu JRK http://www.pololu.com/product/1393/ , it will run 14v at 30 amps continuous all day with heat sink on the big chip and fan cooling.
    Some of us run the jrks at 40 amps peak, no problem.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Irreversible is no good as we reverse the motors and you may end up chewing gearing out for the sake of holding the sim steady when all power is off.
  5. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    Last time I bought wipers I went with new ones instead of salvaging car junkyards. First time I've went buying used ones, they were cheaper, but not completely identical and one was weaker than the other so I had to lose a lot of time on making good profile to adjust speed for both motors, it was unnecessary pain in the a**.

These are the ones I've bought last time
    http://r.ebay.com/HL8rCy

I got two of them, new, identical, performing the same.
    But they need to be ground isolated.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks. I was just checking that its not too important to get the wiper motors from a truck or bus.
  7. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Golf wiper motors I tested were too weak... Go for monospace, bus or truck models ;-)
  8. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    So do I need Irreversible or not Irreversible ? as i have had both answers . Thanks for all the help guys
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you get something that is not designed to be reversed and you try to reverse it, it will either break or slow significantly on direction change. Bad idea, not recommended by me.
    The idea of irreversible is for aesthetic reasons, people want the sim to stay at a centre point when its off, not have it slump down.
    Without going into to much detail, generally wipers are a bit stiff anyway so they will hold a bit when power is off. irreversible is not recommended.
    And avoid buying something that is 24v and you only running 12v through it. Half the speed, half the torque. Use a 12v motor for 12v, or a 24v motor for 24v. You get the best response that way.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Ah I see, thanks for that. As for the irreversible for aesthetics, Im not fussed how it looks when its not on, so thats not a problem for me. So its best for me to go with something that IS reversible. Thank you.
  11. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Sorry, but "irreversible" doesn't mean "can't be reversed".

Irreversibility means that under (normal) load and without power supply, the gearmotor won't turn. It's due to angle of gear and some other factors...
    Irreversible gearmotor are meant to go both ways. It does not meant that they are limited to one way.

And I agree that multiple and frequent reverse stresses are the worst possible treatment for gearmotor... so a really good motor is required for racing sim!

Nota: for information, wipermotors when mounted on vehicles, are turning in a single way and the alternate movement is given by rods system.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Am I rightin thinking that any use of a worm gear will make the motor irreversible?
  13. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Ignore my last comment. Just been reading about worm drive motors.
  14. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Basically all I can recommend is that you check the internal gearing if possible, most are nylon, after a couple of weeks with a decent racing profile the normally metal worm gear chews out the plastic gear badly. At slow speed this might not be so evident, wipers are a good option to give it a go, but can t recommend using them for sometime , my first ones which had steel internals eventually failed in 60 hrs.

Beware running a 24v motor (bus/truck) is not a good thing for them, they are designed for 24v not 12v. Plus speeds and torque more than halfs.

Dont be discouraged in using them , if you take the right electrical precautions and balance you sim properly they will last long enough to play, but I tend to thrash my sim daily for a couple of hours at a time, and I do set my profiles to be quite harsh, if i hit a wall i want it to just about toss me out of the seat. You can always upgrade later, here in Australia the only new type wiper I could find were alot dearer than the motiondynamic units. Not the same in other country thou.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thank you so much guys, This is such a friendly forum, and so helpful :)
  16. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Not sure if any truck wiper motors in the U.S. are 24v, I have never seen a 24v based rig. Peterbuilt, Kenworth, etc are all 12v, or they use an air system as well. This might be different in the UK or AU though.
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here in Australia, there are both 12v and 24v. I got in contact with a truck wiper supplier a while ago before I found the current big worm gears.
    Wiper motors still have one thing to remember - speed. 50-60rpm, that 12 and 24v. So if you run 12v through a 24v motor, expect it to be slower in speed, especially under load. Like nearly half the rated speed.
    Wiper motors are a good start, especially if you can find them cheap.
    In the beginning after 5 calls to wrecking yards, the price went from $90 each second hand to $10 each second hand. So I burnt up many $10 wipers on builds. and I had to earth isolate each one
    Yes I chewed plenty out as well after a while. Even with a well balanced frame, they failed. Hence now I run bigger motors.
    But still , wipers were a good start.
  18. Nath Older

Nath Older Member

Laboratory Supervisor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Hi Nath. I have a couple of brand new 90ZYT-155-12 12V motors plus MCP4 gearbox from Motion Control Products. I'm in the UK so can let you have these for £55 each inc. carriage. I also have some timing belts, pulley wheels and Rod Ends. If these are of interest I can let you have prices.
    • Winner Winner x 1