1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

wiper motor 2DOF, what is needed

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by razzmyth, Feb 4, 2011.

1. razzmyth

razzmyth New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I’ve been reading these forum on and off for a few months now. I’m starting to seriously consider building a sim but I’m still not sure what is involved. There is no straight forward ths how to build a 2DOF sim with wiper motors.

Is there a flow chart or diagram of some sort that shows exactly everything that is needed?
    I’m sure it varies quite a bit depending on what a person is building so I’ll try to be specific.

The specs for what I want to build.

2DOF
    Base platform similar to Tronic’s Joyrider
    Wiper motors
    Built to run GTR2

I’ve built racecars before and currently studying mechanical engineering so the platform is the easy part. Unfortunately I have very little knowledge of electronics or software. I don’t want to build my own boards.

The link below goes to a flow chart. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
    Darryl

gallery/image.php?album_id=98&image_id=376
  2. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    for electronics i would look up the pololu jrk 12v12 as well as the k8055 solutions. These require no electrical components to be created and are off the shelf. In the us you can get 2 pololu jrk 12v12 for 99$ a piece, they are the motor controller and pull the data through a usb cable. You will need one for each motor. you will also need a power supply. if you search the Hardware forum topic, you can find information in relation to my suggestions. a little research on here will go a long way, just take some time and read through the posts. I am in build mode right now myself, it just takes some time, there is no pre packaged quick option, you just gotta read. everyone here is pretty helpful.
  3. razzmyth

razzmyth New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks

So I'll need two pololu (jrk12v12), one for each motor.
    Will I need two power supplies or will one do both actuators?
    Does the pololu need power from the power supply or does it get power through the USB?

I've been reading like crazy. It's just so many people do it so many different ways. And its all talk of resistors, h bridge, etc. I can do automotive electric problems. But when people start talking about making their own pcb boards and stuff, I'm totally lost.

I've updated my assembly chart
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    check the jrk12v12 most info there mate pololu-jrk-12v12-t2697.html.
    yes jrk12v12 need a power suppy 12vd 20amp supplies my two units. Only uses usb power for communication and k8955 not needed xsim can talk to these directly through uso's.
  5. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey Ear,
    I had just planned to use 2 450 watt power supplies from computers. Wouldnt this work for the pololu jrk 12v12 solution?
  6. razzmyth

razzmyth New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    agree razz that what turned me away from them plus another problem is drawing to much current when the motor shifts from top to bottom in one movement normally shuts the power supply down or blows the fuse. Cheap desktop power supplys are available at most electronic stores and are worth the investment. Mine cost $100aus and puts out 12vdc at a constint 20amps split to two jrks just enough to keep my 25amp winches moving. Will buy another when i remember.
  8. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    can you send a link to the one you purchased pleased?
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator: