1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Windows 7 64Bit - XP Mode

Discussion in 'XSimulator Q&A/FAQs - Outdated' started by Gilly, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys I hope you can spare a little of you time to help me.

I am totally bemused by X-Sim but I slowly getting to grips with it. However although I can test my actuators I can not get it to work with any game. I have a Frex setup and have followed MasterYoda's tutorial, so I'm all dressed up but with nowhere to go :sos:

The problem seems to be with the Force Sender and from what I have read the way round it is to use Windows XP mode. I have loaded Windows Virtual PC, but I need some guidance as to what to do next.

I learn (slowly) so I would be most grateful if someone could give me a step by syep of what to do.
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Unfortunately, this is not a simple procedure. I'll try to make a video tutorial as soon as I have time. I need to get the updated Commander for 2.1.04 released first.
  3. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh dear, I though it was going to more straight forward than that.

As you are probably aware Frex have not developed a 64 Bit driver yet, so unless I set up a dual boot system I'm stuffed!

I heard about X-Sim and thought all my prayers had been answered but any help you can give will be much appreciated, regardless of when Frex bring out a driver, I am fed up with them.
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    The concept itself is fairly simple:

1) Install Virtual PC For WIndows 7
    2) Run the Force Profiler in the Virtual WIndows XP machine
    3) Run the Force Sender and game on Windows 7

It starts to get more complicated quickly when we start talking about performance tuning, networking and creating a shortcut on your desktop that automatically starts the Force Profiler in Virtual XP mode, etc..
  5. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bernard, if you get the chance to help any further I would be most grateful.

Chris
  6. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Bernard,

I've just been taking a quick look at Windows XP Mode. Apparently when you load a application into XP Mode it is published to Win7 and is available via the Start menu.

Could it be as simple as that or is there more to it. I assume the application is ready for use in the Win7 Environment?
  7. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Hi Gilly
    Small world I am from Brighton now living in Florida and had the exact same issues as you.

Got a frex needed a 64bit platform and thought X-Sim was the answer.
    I went through nearly a month of grief trying to get X-Sim to work and in the end Bernard helped me get it working on a Windows7 32 bit, apparently the 64 is possible (with a masters in computer programming) but I will tell you now it is more hassle than it is worth.
    Set up a dual boot as I did it is the only way to go, today;
    I am sure that the 64bit drivers for X-Sim are just round the corner, there are some amazing minds behind this program.

You might want to read my post the idiots guide to not being and idiot and check out the simxpereance (Bernard’s site) I found after a bit of tutoring that the commander is a great tool for the beginners who just want to click and race.
    It will blow you away compared to the FREX software once you get the hang of it.

Welcome to the game mate!
  8. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Brighton,

It's a real bummer.

Listen I am no Einstein where computers are concerned although I can follow simple instructions :)

So you have a Win7 64bit system but can boot into a Win7 32bit which will run X-Sim, is that what your saying?

I have tried Windows XP Mode to run the Profiler and Sender which both seem to work, however the Profiler does not see the actuators.
  9. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Yes I have both Windows7 32 and 64bit, the 64 is still loaded in anticipation X-Sim 64bit.
    That said I still think you will find X-Sim more realistic and would urge you to download the Commander, as for the profiler make sure you serial numbers are entered correctly (That turned out to be 99% of my issues) do not enter the letters SN just the numbers and the middle letter if there is one, do not use the last letter (I forget what that is but it will tell you in the setup screen)
    This may sound basic but I am only telling you what I did wrong.

Also if you are using the Devantech RS485s they should be blinking when you connect.
    The chair will move backward then smoothly forward a little faster than the rearward motion if it shoots forward then there is something wrong again this was my journey and I was using the Commander to try to get this to work.
    It turned out to be I had mistaken a B for an 8 in the middle if the actuator serial number.

And just found that FREX has 64 bit drivers released today
  10. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I am on the verge of going back to Frex. I am sure it is me but I am damned if I can get X-Sim to work.

I have created a dual boot XP with Win 7. I download X-Sim, install it and run it. At this point it moves my chair back then forward (I guess into the centre position) I found Bernard's profiles and loads a GTR2. Start up the sender, the profiler detects it GTR2 starts to load and I press start on the profiler. Then nothing!

Actually thats not true, if i crash I do get a very small movement through both actuators.

Tried it through Sim Commander but get no response.

I have read all sorts of stuff much of which I do not understand. I am truly impressed with X-Sim but it is driving me crazy trying to get it to work, can anyone help.
  11. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok I have done all of the above. I am in the game and I can see values changing as in 5 above but when I go out on track nothing.

I do get a small movement if I crash the car?
  12. Gilly

Gilly New Member

Balance:
    540Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes Yes I begin to see the light, thank you for your patience Sirnoname. I think this is a case of looking for some deep technical problem and missing the blindingly obvious.

It's working fine, many thanks.