1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Wind simulator fans

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Zed, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,319Coins
    Ratings:
    +996 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Sorry the Ruck didn’t work out for you. The SeaFlos are fine, but muffin fans don’t really put out much air at much velocity.

There’s maybe another option, though. Have you looked at the fans used on auto radiators? Those are 12V, high power, and I think generally ball bearing. Significantly different form factor, though, but high velocity and lots of air and I think with a lower RPM and noise. Would be a swap for SeaFlos other than form factor.
  2. Erik van Uijtert

Erik van Uijtert New Member

Balance:
    58Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Thats actually a good idea. A quick look tells me that could work, but the form factor.. they are generally much larger in diameter. I would prefer adding pipes or ducts to put the fan on the side of my rig. I might google a bit see if i can find 1.
  3. Zed

Balance:
    5,319Coins
    Ratings:
    +996 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I would need to look at the board again where I could see the traces and my fans are mounted up. I knew what they were back when I first did this but didn’t make notes. I need to partially disassemble anyway to hook up the tach wires in my Arduino box and will look again to get the component designators.

And exactly on the resistance. If you can solder another same value resistor on top of the stock R, you would cut the time constant in half. The engineer thought that it would be ok but obviously there’s always a chance for disaster. It’s easy to find, though. You just trace the wire for PWM input to the connector on the circuit board, and from there it goes straight to the resistor and you’ll see a cap right on the other side.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Zed

Balance:
    5,319Coins
    Ratings:
    +996 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I missed that but yeah, that Ruck is slow.

Squirrel cage fans might be a solution too. Lots of those have 4” or 6” outputs, ball bearings, etc. might be quieter than SeaFlo fans too aside from the actual wind noise.
  5. lbwski

lbwski New Member

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I opened mine up today while I had some other stuff off the rig. I think I’m in the right area but wasn’t able to figure out exactly which of the extremely tiny surface mount resistors is the one we want.

I think part of the problem is the probes on my multimeter are kind of big for this application & it’s hard to get any readings - even directly across one resistor... is there some kind of coating on there?

anyway, if you open yours up and figure it out let me know. Attaching some close up pics of the area in question... I think it might be C210 & R216. 9C75BC31-422B-4749-83E3-ED5E484D3B3C.jpeg E4617F7D-52BC-48F8-8D2E-49FEAED43656.jpeg
  6. Zed

Balance:
    5,319Coins
    Ratings:
    +996 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @lbwski - I haven’t had a chance to open mine up but I was thinking the R/C parts were on the top side of the board. Could easily be wrong, though. And there probably is a coating. Since those fans are in the air flow, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they add a conformal coating. There’s definitely a solder mask but in those shots it looks like there could be a clear conformal coat. Sharp probe tips should pierce it no problem, though.

I was digging back into the code to add the “100% slam” bit but not done yet. Was also going to light up the on board LED whenever the slam was active to give a visible indication. But I keep getting re-tasked with domestic duties. Hopefully soon (sometime this week?) will have some progress to report.

As an aside, are you able to load and run this code? https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...rmoto-and-arduinouno.6876/page-33#post-213758 I can just post the code but .ino seems to be easier for others (and me :))
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. lbwski

lbwski New Member

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Haven't had a chance to play with this code yet; been busy.

Was cleaning up the driveway the other day and realized this Ryobi 18v blower would probably make for a great wind sim. Moves a lot of air & you can vary the output anywhere from 0-100% very smoothly. Plus, it can go from nothing to maximum and back in a second or two. A bit of PWM noise at lower speeds, but otherwise checks all the boxes.

Now... I don't think I'm going to sacrifice my blower any time soon (these things are great for cleaning up the garage, etc!) but thought I'd mention it here in case it gets someone thinking.

IMG_4821.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2