1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Winches motor discussion

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Gabriel Vuelma Romanzini, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Just sharing my experience with a ball screw and winch motors. My planetary gear motor is exactly as the picture above, my assertion is that it is harder to mount than the motor from a boat winch, which it is. That bell housing that you see is not removable but you can (and I did) mount a shaft coupler to it.

I have seen all of those actuator designs, and they work well but I admit to being confused. If that is the type of design that you want to go with why bother with winches at all? Just to get the motors out of them? Even in Argentina it should be easier to get raw motors rather than waste the planetary gears or gearboxes from winches.

EDIT: Just reread your initial post (rather than the original poster) and I see that you are looking at cost and that you assert that it is "impossible" to get a motor there. You mean that you think it is difficult to get a comparable motor for the same price. Now I am on the same page with you.
  2. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    @Historiker fyi, a raw motor here with the same specs as the winches motors costs at least U$S300, the full winch costs U$S100.
    So I have to be imaginative and resourceful :).
    Also, if I understood correctly, you are using only the handicapped (100:1) boat winch as your heave motor to lift you and your seat at least, no less than 160kg iirc, at 50mm/s at just 40rpm, I think it works good enough, isn't it?

I really would appreciate any comment from @SeatTime and @wannabeaflyer2 about my original question.
  3. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    As I mention in the edit of my last post; I understand what you are after now. I was thinking you were after a 2DoF solution for some reason, sorry about that. :)
  4. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Don´t worry, no problem at all :). I loved the feeling with my last foot mounted 2dof and I hope I can make a 6dof soon.
  5. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Not sure if this helps at all or not but the motor on my planetary gear winch is much more powerful than that found on my boat winch.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    To share my experience with winches I show you an example without maths from the real life ;)

My winches are rated at 62,5A continuous current and 750W output. The rpm is 23/minute. I am using a 13cm lever. The speed is always the same with me standing on the (end of the) lever or without me (75KG).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Thanks, I know, the boat winch motor are usually 300watts and the motors on the planetary winches starts at 750watts, thats why both winches are rated at 2000lbs but the boat winch uses 400:1 and the planetary 153:1 to do the same job. My Doubt is, to go brute force with the 750watts motor, or if the 300watts boat winch motor would do the job fine, as it would be easier to drive.

Yes, that planetary winches are powerful and it would be perfect if they were a little more silent, changing the grease in the planetary gear doesn't get more silent at all?
    There is a table about amps rating for that winches:
    amp table.jpg
  8. Pit

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Grease might help a little bit but not much at all. I made a short video with the camera close to the winch. Of course there is only the PC and the PSUs of the winches plus of the OSW while I was taking the video, so the more noise sources you will add (speaker, other motors, in my case projectors) the "less" noise is coming from the winches. The winches are pretty loud at full speed and under load. While I could imagine to build a Boeing 737 cockpit with winches I wouldn't do so when coming to a race simulator. I'll upload instantly the short video, stay tuned.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  9. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Well, after waiting almost 10 months, finally the importer got a new batch of winches, and I got 4 for my project, they are the 906lb, 750watts, planetary gear ones.
    My problem is that after disassembling and tested one, it runs at different speed counterclockwise :( Is that normal? I thought that the Chinese ones were all almost the same internally.

@Pit @Ben V or any other with experience can help?
    Thanks anyway!
  10. Pit

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Almost replied to your PM. Anyway are all winches affected? Or you disassembled and tested only one winch? Probably there is an issue with the motor carbon brushes.
  11. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Just tested one, with the hope that if there is an issue I maybe can switch the rest of them for the 300watts boat winches kind.
    IMG_20170116_160122049.jpg IMG_20170116_160209125.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Pastrana

Pastrana Member

Balance:
    159Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello Mariano, can you upload a photo of the winch, to know which one you bought?

Hola Mariano podes subir fotos del winch para saber cual es el que has adquirido?