1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Winch Motors and Pot Position

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by stowaway, Feb 22, 2012.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so just so I have this right, do you mean where the arrow is in this picture?

How would you attach the magnet? Glue it?

hallsensor.png
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You think thats expensive! Try blowing 5 JRKS in the first year and paying for replacements! :rofl:
  3. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Did anyone ever go further with the hall effect sensor solution?

I have built custom joysticks using rare earth magnets and Allegro sensors, they work extremely well.

The only question I would have is that they act as 360 degree pots rather than multi turn pots. Do you really need multi-turn or is it the precision that is really needed? The hall effect certainly gives precise feedback.
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Ah multi turn will give better feedback when using a pot, but in your case of wanting to use a hall effect the single turn is alright.
    Attach to final drive shaft, this bolts through the winch and can be situated on either side. Idea is the track the angle of the arm.
  5. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Rob, thanks for the feedback.

Here is what I have done in the past to make hall effect feedback for joysticks:

[​IMG]

A very simple hall effect u-joint joystick mechanism that I found online. It wouldnt be that hard to adapt this for use with the winch motors as well.

The full joystick, I patterned it off of the Supermarine Spitfire and the IL-16 Russian fighter design. Sort of used ideas from both, except of course neither were originally made with cherry ;)

I made this for my first Simpit, a generic WWI/WW2 pit.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Wicked , yes have the info (PDF) for that type of configure for a potential joystick, nice to hear it works.
    And to answer your question , can this be done for the winch, Yes.

Place the magnet on the final drive shaft and mount the sensor on the body of the winch and you will achieve a better result than a pot and longer life too. The shaft goes through both sides so mount the sensor on the opposite side of the motor lever. An example is how I first used a heli gear on my winch to mount a pot.
    • Informative Informative x 1