1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Wickie´s 6DOF Sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by PeterW, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Industrial Ingeenering Teacher
    Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi wickie,

Thanks for sharing your research about noise improvment :thumbs. The two solutions seems to be efficient . It will be interesting if you can make a video to compare actuator operation with and without the noise improvment ;)
    Where did you buy the stripe ? Is it specifically to limit noise ?
    How did you fix the two foam ?

2. simsimmer

simsimmer New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Wickie.

Do you have CAD drawings of your universal joints (brackets + POM middle) that you would be willing to share (or sell). I have been through the entire thread and don't seem to any info on them other than where they were made and sandblasted. Thanks either way.
  3. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    very nice project mate.....

i have some question
    1. is the odrive can connect to simtools direcly without other microcontroller..? such as arduino with smc3, or maybe i need spesific build, so simtools can command the odrive
    2. if i want to use enstop, do i need spesific build FW to do that

btw, i have plan to build with 4 x 400w servomotor and 2 odrive
  4. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    => 1) the Odrives are connected directly to the PC via USB. And the Odrive does communicate directly with Simtools or the mover interface.
    => 2) In the past, when I build my Sim, endstops was a problem because of electromagnetic interference and HW/SW - problems. So I left this way. Maybe the problems are solved in the meantime.
    I decided to apply software limits for the actuators and build double endstop-dampers into my actuators. So runaways or emergency shut offs are no problem at all.
    Wickie
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    thanks for the reply...

my next question, how the machine know the 0% and 100% position..?? other than the encoder count for full stroke...

is there any automatic start up calibration..?
    and how it works..?
    is it know because when we hit the hardware limit, tge current will be high and it will triggers the position limit initiation..?
  6. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,823Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    AFAIK, the ODrives do a calibration routine at startup. They can home against a hardstop and I think that is what @PeterW's actuators do. From that starting point onwards they keep track of their positions simply by counting encoder clicks.

When configured properly it should be impossible for the motion cueing software (Mover, I guess) to command the actuators to go anywhere beyond their limits.
    If they, for whatever reason, should still do then the ODrives should recognise that and throw an error (please confirm!)

Cheers,... Dirty :)
  7. ryanosman

ryanosman New Member

Commercial Recreational Sim Owner/Operator
    Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I can confirm that this is all correct. (This is how mine work.) Keep in mind though that the odrives are extensibly configurable, and you can have them set up such that they perform quite differently than this description... intentionally and unintentionally lol.
    • Like Like x 1