1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Why not building a full cockpit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Oreca, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Oreca

Oreca New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys,

I want to build my own simulator, first getting some info before I start building. But when I build a simulator, It would be cool and more real to build a full cockpit. Like you step in a real car with a roof, windows, doors (maybe an airbag :brows:)..based on a design like for example: a mc laren f1 race car.
    I never saw this, all the sims are just open.

Is there a construction reason for that, or could it be a new idea?

Thxx
  2. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    get a car...:)
  3. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think the only construction reason this is a challenge is weight. Its more complicated to build a motionsystem yourself that can handle the weight of a full cocpit, and fast enough. Ofcourse if you only move seat its a good idea, but you also need good visualisation to have effect of this. btw The airbag-sim is alredy invented: airbag-testing-hilarious-t2771.html :rofl:

Fred
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Another reason would be that it is quite a bit more expensive for certain (compare the prices between an SCN5 and SCN6, or the varying motors and controllers) and arguably less immersive as well.
  5. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a question about the weight issue and I don't mean to hijack a thread but it seems related. What real difference does it matter as long as all the axis are supported on the center of gravity line? I mean the weight is supported by the pivot points and all the actuators are seeing is the inertia right?