1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

what makes a good DD wheel ?

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Gadget999, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    i am researching making a DD wheel and it appears the OSW is the one to beat

what is it that makes it good ?

is it the motor or the syncro drive or both ?

if i am correct is uses a AC 240 motor and servo driver

can we not use a DC motor, arduino h bridge as the driver just as we do in our motion simulators ?

(i know we are using gearboxes to increase the torque so it would be hard to turn a work drive motor backwards)

is there something different about the windings in a DC motor vs a AC motor ?

where does the fine resolution come from ?

-------------------------------------------------------

from what i can see the OSW is too powerful for most people and they turn the power down to approx 40%

so a less powerful motor could be a good alternative

(3.1N * o.4 = 1.25 N)
  2. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i came across the Simraceway F1 wheel

it looks really neat - i am assuming it is a 3d printed part

it looks like it can be used as a freestanding wheel ? or does it need to be fitted to a wheel base ?

has anyone any experience with this product ?

https://www.simraceway.com/srw-s1_steering_wheel
  3. stevemontuno

stevemontuno Active Member

Balance:
    1,721Coins
    Ratings:
    +335 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    It works with motion sensors like a Wii remote ,,,you tilt it left or right to steer ,,,,

A few folks have converted them in the past to use on their wheel bases so they can have an F1 wheel with buttons on their rig ,,,
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    How does the fantec csr wheel compare to the logitech wheel g25/27 ?
  5. Quertreiber

Quertreiber New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The OSW is not too strong. Doesn't matter if you use it at 20% or 70%. It's the power reserve that makes the music when it comes to deliver effects.
    Small example:
    You can use it with the same strength like a t300 @70%. It will beat the t300 any day because the the t300 has "not the power to deliver" harsch bumps, curbs, compressions like eau rouge and so on.

And another thing is the limit of machines. I always buy my machines stronger/more powerfull than i need them.
    For example Accuforce vs 20nm mige. I run the mige around 50%. Lets say 10nm. If it was an Accuforce then i would run it always near it's limit. It would always be tormented.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i have been looking at a few DC motors - some of them jump when you turn them by hand

i am assuming the jumping is to do with the coils and magnet / brush location

is there a type of DC motor that will turn smoothly ?

will a servo motor / brushless motor turn smoothly ?
  7. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have a dc motor to hand that was used on an electric go kart.

It is 24v and approx 280 watts

Will this be powerful enough for a direct drive wheel ?
  8. Henrik

Henrik New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I think you have to, also consider the encoder of the servo motor that is 5k of 10k ppr.
  9. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Tecnico pc hardware/software MadeFix
    Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Ho costruito un volante seguendo un tutorial trovato in rete con arduino leonardo e 2 ponte H ibt2 in parallelo. Usando prima un servosterzo elettrico completo opel corsa e poi solo il suo motore diretto, da 80A @12v. Scalda molto, quindi ho forato il motore tra i campi per far passare aria forzata con due ventole e un tubo alluminio.
    Alimentatore lineare toroidale da 1kw con diodi su aletta e condensatore da 0,5Farad.( necessita di circuito soft start per polarizzare nucleo altrimenti salta il contatore energia)
    Buona forza, costo molto basso.
    Non sono un gran esperto di simulatori, incuriosito dalla realizzazione ,ma mi diverto a sperimentare.
    Se la stazione Dinamica funzionerà a dovere costruirò un volante più pregiato.
    I built a steering wheel following a tutorial found on the net with arduino leonardo and 2 bridge H ibt2 in parallel. First using a complete electric power steering opel corsa and then only its direct engine, from 80A @ 12v. It heats up a lot, so I drilled the engine between the fields to let the forced air pass through two fans and an aluminum tube.
    1kw toroidal linear power supply with 0.5Farad fin diode and capacitor diodes (requires soft start circuit to bias core otherwise skips the energy counter)
    Good strength, very low cost.
    I'm not a great expert on simulators, intrigued by the realization, but I enjoy experimenting.
    If the Dinamica station will function properly, I will build a more valuable steering wheel.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    do you have a video we can see ?
  11. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Tecnico pc hardware/software MadeFix
    Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Questo è stato uno dei primi tentativi con il mozzo elettrico completo della opel corsa.
    Troppa forza rompeva le braccia, tocco frenato dal ponte H nelle sterzate veloci. Abbandonato ed usato solo il motore, di cui devo cercare un video.
    Ora solo il video con lo sterzo prima versione (non era male, andava tarato meglio).

This was one of the first attempts with the complete electric hub of the opel corsa.
    Too much strength broke the arms, defect braked by the H bridge in fast turns. Abandoned and used only the engine, of which I have to look for a video.
    Now only the video with first version steering (it was not bad, it had to be calibrated better).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xfVWaXdHCGKfNtbQ2

Second step
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/DudZkuHggpoGy3fZ9
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018