1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

What kind of printer do you use?

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by bruce stephen, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I know we discussed this briefly else where but it seems like a good place to start. I use prusa I3r. its a ebay chinese kit. i added a new hot end e3dv6 as it came with v5. it has a remote bowden style extruder with mk8. removing the stepper from the z rail is supposed to be faster/lighter but i dont see a difference.

Attached Files:

2. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

Printing ciclop scanner parts
    • Like Like x 3
  3. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Bruce That is so Cool seeing these machines wiz around , cant wait to get the first real prints of my new Wanhao I3 Duplicator , Todays the Big day setup wise so fingers crossed , but seeing you video def looks great .. so logging off and now switching on printer LOL :-
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    CTC Flashforge and a Dreamer 3d
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    nice @shannonb1 , that's some good equipment. Can't wait to see your vids and pics @wannabeaflyer2 gl see you in a couple days lol. I disappeared for about a week printing every useless trinket i could find when i first got mine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    I need to upload pics of my motor contorl boxes, they mount over the rounded part of the motor and use speakons for both connections to motor and power supply. I hesitate to share files broadly thought cause I hate that spanish simulator guy that ripped off the OSW wheel rim mount and gave no credit to the creator.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    which guy @shannonb1 ? havnt heard about that one. Theres always 1 in the crowd. Maybe you get lucky and someone steals your design and makes millions and then you settle for some of the money. Unfortunately it rarely works out this way.
  8. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @bruce stephen LOL you weren't kidding when you said disappear , been at it all day download stuff from thingyverse , most of them opgrades for the machine , have to say either i've been lucky or this dam thing really does almost work straight out the box, For 1st prints I quite happy with the quality and it can only get better once I dial in Ultimaker Cura ( the slicer program )
    my only one issue so far is that for some reason I cant get the PC to talk directly to the I3 Printer. so at the moment I download the files , import them into CURA V15.04 and save the G Code file to the micro SD , then place the SD card into the printer , been so close all these years but this is the 1st time I have printed anything complete,
    so today , I have made a set of glass bed corner clamps , a set of Heated bed adjusters and an adjustable Z height Bracket , Most of which seem on the money ..
    will post pics next time ... ohhh it is addictive watching these printer zip around ...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    i use a migbot prusa i3 3d printer.
    @wannabeaflyer2 i disappeared too when i first got my printer working and still do when i print stuff . i am using repetier host for manual controlling my printer and has an option to choose slicer. i have read that it is better printing from a sd card than from pc
  10. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    yes i also use repetier-host for pc to printer communication. i prefer to print from pc just cause its easier to tweak while running on the manual tab. i use cura and slic3r. Cura is my favorite slicer though.

printing in 3d is like techy crack, be carefull you dont get addicted.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  11. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    hi Guys its a Not So Sunny Sunday in this neck o the woods so what better than Play time ...Ahem I mean System development and educational training ( Nah Playtime sounded better ) LOL .. Well Im still having grief getting Cura to allow me access to the printer , Just tried Prontoface and she worked fine Com Port seen correctly and baud rate Recognised and was able to control the printer through the PC , So I know the firmware is good , The USB cable is Good and that the I3 system can be linked via PC , So the problem must be with this version of Cura as it seem to default to save file when I select the Print Option ????? anyways not a mega issue at this stage as im quite happy to slice and produce G code in Cura and download it to the Micro SD card , Just hate having keep swapping the SD card as at some point something will wear out :)

Still printing Printer Upgrade parts , None of which are totally essential because the machine seem to perform well, this will be my Training and tweaking phase ( which I understand never ends with these machine :) )

She's whizzing away in the background and other than a few false starts ( Pla not sticking to bed at start ) she seems to do a dammm good job ...

Thanks Guys , I Twigged early on that Printing from the SD card seems to be the optimum way to go ... grinning like a Cheshire cat here at the moment . this machine is wicked that's all im saying .. now I gotta learn how to design stuff to print for my projects ..#
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    My wife said "Go for it"..... :D
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    sweet tool for sure. right up there with my first impact driver, maybe even paslode cool.:thumbs
  15. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Well....not Makita LXT Brushless cool (first set of drivers I can spend an entire day at a jobsite and not need to recharge) but very very cool.

I am going to pick up an Ebay Prusa I3r, what would you recommend to look out for?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    hi No im not a salesman for Wanhao LOL , you might want to take a look at there I3 duplicator Primer Its a Prusa Variant but mine worked more or less straight out the Box and less than half hour to get up and running , 4 screws and remove some packing tape and ties and switch on , im doing my longest print so far which is the sample OK ( Hand ) Model , so this will be my stress test ,, I believe your American supplier has pretty good support judging by their website , so check out there Videos on youtube and see what the other users think about this system , don't think there is much difference price wise but maybe the minimal assembly could be a factor ...

Hi @bruce stephen I have repeteir on my other system so may well download that and give it a whirl, I admit I do like the CURA user interface and its Ease of use , but also like the idea of using the PC to send stuff to the Micro SD without having to keep swapping it out , im searching the net for answers as I cant believe im the only one with this Issue .. cheers Guys will update ya'll if and when I crack this minor issue ,,, Not a show stopper though :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok here are some things that were must have for me.......

1. remote bowden extruder preferably mk8 cold end and e3dv6 hotend. these are the most modern.
    20160216_095400.jpg
    20160216_095422.jpg

2. heated bed with a capacity to reach at least 110c for abs, poly and some other types of filament

3. true screw jacks not threaded rod for z screws
    20160216_095510.jpg

4. mks gen2 v1.2 or newer control board, steer clear of the ramps its not bad just old tech. the mks boards are stand alone(ard built in) and do have a few advantages. ramps stacks on a mega 2560.
    20160215_181138.jpg
    Ramps 1.4 this one will be used to replace the moshi crap in my laser cutter but thats gonna be a summer project. not enough time in the day.
    20160215_181718.jpg
    Mks board. you can see the improved layout, easier access and additional connections.

5. belt tensioners on both x and y axis. it just makes life easier.
    20160216_095540.jpg
    20160216_095550.jpg

6. layer height down to 0.1mm

the rest was candy to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Qualit...-kit-bundle-/221959593739?hash=item33add29f0b

this is the same kit i got just different seller
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  18. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @wannabeaflyer2 increase filament esteps and get your tip a touch closer to the bed. it will fill in and stick to itself a little better on that first layer
  19. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok not to bore you guys but this little gizmo seems to tick some nice boxes ,its a case of CNC Router for some things the 3D printer for others, each has there merits ,

This was my 1st longish run stress test print and it came out a treat , ( rubbish cameraman ) looking at this Demo test Model, I believe I can now push the limits a little more ... need to do Calibration confirmation prints ..but have to say looking good so far :)

Cheers @bruce stephen for the tip , i'm begining to see why the Z axis clearance is critical to decent Prints , Need to Fit The Glass Bed , but had to make the Limit switch mod parts and the Corner clamp parts, they were done yesterday so they will get fitted in the next day or so .Nice to have the machine that makes Bits for itself much like my 1st CNC router.. -)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  20. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator: