1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

What Graphics card are you guys running vith VR setup

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by wannabeaflyer2, Sep 12, 2017.

1. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,490Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Indeed, it's absolutely ridiculous! See for example here. One single bitcoin transaction consumes about 250 kWh energy. This is about 1 month consumption of an average household.
    The only reason for the attractiveness is the speculation price of bitcoins. See also here ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,399Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    @wannabeaflyer2 sure you werent looking at 3gb cards ? they are more around that price
  3. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    This bitcoin and mining lark smacks of the gold rush LOL followed by crying as I type , anyways wont help us oikes trapped and still looking .
    Hiya @SilentChill if memory serves me well the 3Gb versions were circa £225-245 ish at the time and tight arse here was hoping to get GTX1060 6gb in January sales , thinking they may drop a few quid ........ yeah NOT .. the old adage penny wise pound foolish & who dares wins is now whizzing around my grey matter along with now "A fool and his money are gonna get parted" make that hard earned ..Grrrrrr ..

So Yep kick in the pants moment, so here I am brand new untested rift and really don't want to make the wrong jump this time , reality is it seems if I cant find a barebones system to cannibalise for memory and the card as suggested im in limbo .. ( large print EXPLETIVE typed here ) LOL.. £500+ graphics quid for Card ....damm the I7 pc with bells and whistles did not cost that much ( Pc world end of line ) .. but hey as my buddy would say " It is what it is" still sucks though .. Thanks for the feedback guys you answered my query spot on so I was not going mad after all :)
  4. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Don't laugh guys ,,, as if to add insult to injury my cookies just flagged up an advert showing my xmas present from my little lady ... well after bugging her about wanting a follow me drone she caved bought one from Bangood @£124.00 hmmmm now there's me thinking they would go up in price so get in now ( Pester power aint just for kids ya know) well EXPLETIVE me again the damm price has dropped for the exact same model to a now Princely sum of £79 quiid ..
    .....arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh ( er not told her that though ) that's what I was hoping for on graphics card ( well £20 quid drop anyways) looks like I mined the wrong item LOL ok guys wont bug ya'll anymore on this cheers
  5. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I mine :)
    I have 2 vr machines and it pays my mortgage.
    Gtx1080ti
    Gtx1080ti
    Gtx1080.
    I mine eth atm but the speed it can drop.in value is crazy.
    Anything less than I have got there would prob not be worth it.
    By time I take electric out and all that it pays quite well when it's up as in about £200gbp profits.
    But I am now struggling as it's getting harder to mine, also.price is dropping so now it's only really good to have a 20 cards system set for mining.
    But if you buy 2 gtx1080ti you could get a finance deal and will pay that so free cards.
  6. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    wow have to say just been on youtube to see what a mining rig is actually looks like ,still baffled by how this cyrpto mining lark works, but not gobsmacked at seeing guys with 12 + GTX1060 and upwards GPU's per rig ....Dammm im bitchin about 150 Quid price rise, these mining systems things must cost scary money ....er on a side note , Could not wait and wanted to finally try my Oc,ulus so Again im gonna say don't laugh, had to go with buying a 1060 3g ( And now I find out that if I hung on a little longer the prices will start falling soon due to a new firmware fix/update ,to how should we say Dissuade mining "Yeah I selfishly wish that were the case" ) new card wont be wasted as it may be returned as not opened/Used to E-Buyer... would be my luck to cough up only to see the prices fall to GTX1070 jump in level LOL
  7. phreezee

phreezee Member

IT Guy
    Balance:
    425Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Due to the GPU shortage due to crypto mining, it's proven cheaper to buy pre-built gaming computers as of late. I got 1060 6gb over Christmas and hope to get the new Vive close to Black Friday.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,490Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Luckily the bitcoin price is falling, making it less attractive to mine, less people spending money on cards and wasting electric power…
    upload_2018-2-6_13-17-13.png
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. phreezee

phreezee Member

IT Guy
    Balance:
    425Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF

There's hundreds of other cryptos out there and new ICOs weekly, but the other main ones are still being mined like ripple, litecoin, etc.

The good news is that there are more cryptos coming out that are non-ASIC mined coins.
  10. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Send it back if you can as it's not long prices will fall as mining eth atm is getting harder and the price will not be worth mining soon.
    My friend was 3wks ago pulling 4k a month on a 44gpu rig mainly rx570s.
    But now he is lucky if he getting 1800 quid.
    Electric was around 600mth.
    So still atm 1200mth profit for sat on ya butt.
    And that's is why there's no cards.
    If prices fall much more then people will not earn enough to pay the electric bill from it.
    So cards buying will or should slow so it should drive prices down.
    Problem is most of it reacts to Bitcoin so all scales are very very similar in Bitcoin shadow.
    Go direct n just wait it's only the retailers ripping off not and or Nvidia.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  12. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Bast Tar D s scuse my English , LOL well its a case of when it rains it Pours E-buyer item dispatched delivery expected tomorrow and now PC world d send s Alert e-mail ...Now they have Cards in stock and along with my vouchers im in GTX1070 territory at last BUGGGERRRRRRR ... so now I gotta take leap and send one back and get the GTX1070 before they run out again ...YOU COULD NOT MAKE THIS STUFF UP ... will keep ya'll posted as to if it all pans out OK ,,,now to email . ebuyer to see if they will take the unopened card back and gimme refund GRRRR who says patients is a virtue ... Expletive time again