1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Want to build a motion simulator...

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by jandersson, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jandersson

jandersson New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What electronics do i need to build a motion simulator as the user egoexpress has made? Can i find wiring and drawings here? What type of step motor, should i buy?

What should i begin with?

Sorry for the bad english...
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. jandersson

jandersson New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where do i find motors who not need to modify? scn5 actuators? Which length do i need to make a good movement? If i base my simulator on the picture...

[​IMG]
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
  5. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,967 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    If you do not want to modify the motors too much, my answer depends on your amount you want invest! What´s your budget?

3 possible ways to go:

a) whipper motors and electronic AMC1.5 (by tronicGr) - cheaper is imposible!!! ~ 150$ But most work and modfication has to be done by yourself

b) LowCost Firgelli actuators like Egoexpress uses! Costs 150-300 $. You need the electronic separetely, the AMC1.5 could be your choice again.

c) 2 x SCN5 - Microprocessor linear actuator! costs round about 800 $ - most electronic is build in.
    The way for the lazy guys :D But the greatest motion effects.
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @René
  7. jandersson

jandersson New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thx for good answears!

1. Wipermotors, which car uses motors who i can have to simulators, that stops and locks? Or where can i buy motors and which?

2. Is there any drawings or function that i should use?

3. AMC1.5 electronics, can i buy the electronics or must i have to make it???

Im from sweden...
    Thx
  8. jandersson

jandersson New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :cheers: uppuppupp
  9. jandersson

jandersson New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do i need to make a frex type 2dof in pneumatics...

5/3 valve?
    cylinder? length and diameter?
    vellerman card?

In my work i can borrow all pneumatic stuff!

If i go with wipermotors i have to buy everything. What should i go for?
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The movement quality with pneumatic I/0 valves is very poor, as just 3 speeds are available. A setup with proportional valves would be very interesting, but has never been done so far, as nobody of us can afford them.

However, if you dont have access to proportional valves I highly recommend you a motor driven setup.

Either a wiper motor setup with a DIY AMC motion controller (cheap, works very well, but requires basic soldering skills), or a SCN5 setup (almost plug&play, industrial quality, but quite expensive).

So it depends on your skills and on how many bucks and time you want to spend to assemble your project.

I'd propose you SCN5 actuators, but Michael N. and Christian have shown that wiper motor setups in conjunction with Tronicgr' AMC1.5 work quite good as well.

Regards
    Christian
  11. jandersson

jandersson New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Of course i can put money, time and sweat in the project but many things brakes me, language, technics and where to begin...

Soon i order a frex motion sim... =)
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    @Janderson

It seems that for you, an SCN5 based solution would be best. It also seems that you have not read my suggested links. They are:

http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/simxperience-ii-2dof-driving-simulator-with-scn5-s-t1182.html

http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Racing_Simulator_by_Mr.Burns

The reading of these links is beginning of the sweat and work that you say you are willing to do. From here, you should learn alot, and will probably have some questions. Many people in this community will help answer your specific questions. Noone in this community is going to design your simulator for you.

Also, An X-Sim based solution (when assembled properly) is superior to a frex. If you are not willing to do the work required to have this superior solution, then buy a Frex.