1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

wannabees 2dof project blog

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by wannabeaflyer, Sep 11, 2008.

1. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :hi: guys. well at long last things are coming togather, been collecting all the bits and sourcing the parts , have even made my 1st prototye of the mechanical build just to get the size and feel for my 2DOF project ( Simforce GT/ Tronic /Wannabeaflyer ) 8) i have started my cad drawing for a design made from MDF ( Medium density Fibreboard) and some welded 40mm Square tubing will post the pictures tommorow if i can get them small enough to upload..i have attached some draft drawings of my initial design but needs a lot of refining so no laughing .. feedback always welcome and look forward to being an active member once the ball starts rolling :cheers:

Attached Files:

2. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Re: This is my 1st attempt at a project blog

Forgot to add some planned details
    Will be driven by Tronics AMC & DSHB circuit Boards .
    X-sim Of Course
    will try my 2 Electric Wheel chair Motor ( With Electronic Brake Built in ) for actuators
    Mounted on 18mm MDF base Frame
    40mm Square tube for seat and Unibersal Joint support
    8mm Track rod ends and M10 All screw Rod for Push rods
    My Driving Force Force feedback wheel and pedals ( until i can afford a G25 8)
    and runnig LFS
    :highfive:
  3. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Just some quick pics of saturday efforts

:) not finished and its a concept prover so much work to be done but the idea is to make a sstron simforce type simulator using cheap but strong materials comments welcome but no laughing its whats called work in progress :yippiee:

Attached Files:

4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

The built-in brake is a nice feature. Do you have some additional specs of the wheelchair motors?
    How much Watt and how many rps?

Have fun with your project! :thbup:

Regards
    Christian
  5. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Hi christian the motors are made by a company called FRACMO ( Location Hastings in england ) they are 24Volt Dc 68 RPM but No Current info on the nameplate :? they were tested on a 12 Volt car battery and worked great ... this weekend i hope to have the Lever arm Made to fit to the Motor Shaft so should have some better pictures soon :) Just seen the OUTPUT Torque and it looks like 24lb force inches will have to convert that to newtons later :thbup:
  6. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT

Hi,

i like design of cheap as possible ;D . and think no one will be laughing :no: Where did you get the pivot square tube?

Maybe you can rename your thread into something like wannabeaflyer s 2DOF simulator. That would be more precisly defined. It´s only a suggestion :)

kind regards
    René
  7. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Hi Rene Thanks for the comments ...the Square tube was from a Scrapped Work bench from the company i work for. thewy were throwing a lot of old workbenches out and i saw them so thought they may come in handy sometime in the future :yes: turns out i had the exact need for these in my design :) there is also the option to Weld the Universal Joint too a flat metal plate and bolt that to the base will post pictures soon ...like the idea of the name change so will use that suggestion Thanks ...
  8. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    just a few cad Drawings of my Project 8)

Attached Files:

9. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Got in from work today and :yippiee: :yippiee: and more :yippiee: Heinz the main man has sent my PCB's he did an excellent job and great service i mangaged to use Bablefish and was able to talk to him through e-mails in german/ english and i have to say he was very helpfull and was a pleasure doing bussines with him..as ARNIE would say in the terminator movies I'll be Back 8) cant wait to start soldering at last .. also got 2 LCD displays form E-bay at an excellent price and to top it all my FT232R USB to RS232 Evaluation Board Arrived so good day all around .... Once again Big up thanks to Thanos , Heinz , Christian and all the guys that made my 1st steps possible ...easy part was getting the bits now i have to make it all work LOL:) so be prepared for questions Guys 8) :cheers: will keep you all posted as and when i make some progress....

Attached Files:

10. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Now that you have the FT232R USB to RS232 Evaluation Board, you can skip building the Max232 serial motion input subcircuit and connect the RX TX lines directly on the Atmega pins as I did! See this post:
    post9258.html#p9258

And there is also the ability to just connect the serial port of the adapter to the Prog input of the AMC to program its firmware as well! (a gender converter is needed here though).

And something to save you from frustration if you can't get it work. Be sure that you have checked the Serial Printer option in the advanced options:

FT232R_comport_serial_printer_setting.jpg

Any other question, is welcome!

Regards, Thanos
  11. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Sirnoname basically this device is an alternative to the rs232 section of Thanlos's AMC cardi belive he wanted to explore the possibility of USB input for his Controller ( I Belive he will be able to answer this question properly ) this device is off the shelf ready built option see post9258.html#p9258.... i suppose because thanos knows that most newer PC's dont have serial port as standard anymore, this option allows us to use his controller with USB input or His RS232 input so we get the best of both worlds ... what can i say the guy is a true star :yippiee: ... as Thanos said we have the option of building his interface complete including the RS232 Section or Directly connecting the external USB-RS232 iterface to the correct points on the AMC Controller ... Thats my understanding so far but i have not finished the assembly of my TRONIC AMC card yet so will keep you all posted :thbup:
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually this option exists on every FTDI FT232R chip adapter, (no matter its packaging). The manual says:
    If enabled, serial printer will disable timeouts to allow for long delays associated with paper loading

But I found it necessary, to have this option enabled, with any kind of microcontroller type equipment thru it without problems. It seems that if the communication transfer rate isn't constant (for example delays in microcontrollers) can make FT232R VCP enter a state that is inaccessible .

I encountered this problem many times, where my customers was trying to interface their handheld diagnostic equipment with FTDI serial converter, and in all cases this option made the trick!!!! (BTW, I sell and maintain computer systems :D )

Thanos
  13. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Update Post :lol: let the assembly Of Thanos's Duel H Bridge Commence 8) 8)

Attached Files:

14. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys More smilleys as today i got another present in the form of most of the bits for my Tronic AVR Motion Controller ... Crazy weekend but great weekend coming up lots of soldering to be done and shopping for the last few items.. Fingers crossed :cheers:

Attached Files:

15. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Progress report :) :) :) DSHB built and only got 3 jobs to do Thicken tracks for higher current ( Build up solder on FET CCT ) bend Mosfetts and and fit to terminal blocks and fit heatsink.... oh almost forgot theres 4 :sos: switch on and test 8) Thanos big thank you again i know its not completed and tested yet so i'll be going back over all the forum post before power up but for allowing me to get this far big thank you. :highfive: will start the AVR controller PCB later Today, Now that should be Fun :lol: ... Thanos any thought on the use of Figerllia Actuators instead of my Electric Wheelchair Motors i weigh 95KG's :blush: so need ti make sure they will be up to the job ... ( SCN5's are the way to go but thats next generation for me ) :cheers:

Attached Files:

16. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :hi: Guys next installment, My TRONIC (AVR ) Controller board is almost built just a couple of components missing, Parts Order has been placed so hopefuly 2-3 days and she will be complete.. still got a lot of tidying up to do but most of the key work is done. So its looking at last i can start to have something to show you guys for all the silly questions i've been asking :thbup: some sort of case needs to be made/ bought but that will come after testing both circuit boards to make sure they work the way Thanos designed them to perform :yippiee: D'oh jsut noticed the wrong date stamp on the last lot of photos .. battery change on cheap camera and did not reset data before taking snaps .... :blush:

Attached Files:

17. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi wannabeaflyer,
    what are these blue things (red market at picture)?. Are these resistors?. I hope not ;).

Attached Files:

18. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they are resistors. They are blue as indication that they are 1% precision !! But don't worry, normal 5% precision will do, if they are not too offset!

:brows: <--- nice funny smilie isn't? :lol:

Regards, Thanos
  19. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    But, thats wrong or?. There must be wire bridges instead of the resistors, look at this Picture.

Attached Files:

20. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It would be resistor 0ohm.