1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

wannabeaflyers 6 DOF with 24V DC gearmotor

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by wannabeaflyer, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    It looks like a single limit switch should work, he has the cam of the lever set so it would touch the limit switch from either side if it rotates too far. Nice touch.
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I didn't say it wouldn't work for a simple limit, but the circuit would not know what direction limit it was and therefore could only just cut the power and not reverse the motor (if that is what he wanted). Most actuators that I have seen have a limit switches at each end and diodes to reverse the direction of the motor.
  3. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Ah, that makes sense. Didn't mean for you to think that I was arguing :)
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Historiker, never thought you were arguing:), just trying to save Wantabeaflyers some time from my own experiences.
  5. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi SeatTime thanks for the input . my 1st setup was exactly what you mentioned , but had a brainwave ( or should that be brain meltdown :) ) and thought the cam only operates the limit switch at the upper lower max travel positions ( defualt connection being Normally Closed contacts) so the thought was the one switch could do the same as 2 ( but thats why i asked if anyone else has been down this road) the arrangment still allows me to use 2 switches if required , so further testing today will show if its a workable safeguard.. Thanks SeatTime as i welcome any input :)
  6. Tino

Tino Member

Balance:
    1,289Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3 / -1
    Hi @wannabeaflyer ,

Hope your build is going well. I'm planing to build a similar 6dof platform so I'm looking forward to your updates :)

How much torque do your motor have at 110RPM?
    Regards,
    Tino.
  7. billo2404

billo2404 Member

Balance:
    1,236Coins
    Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    bel progetto, sto lavorando a quacosa di simile e magari ti ruberò qualche idea alla fine:grin
    Il sistema con un solo swict per motore io lo ho provato sul 2 dof per proteggeeri pot ed ha funzionato perfettamente.
    Puoi anche limare un po' di più e far lavorare la staffa per 200-220 gradi prima di fare aprire il circuito cosi eviti delle aperture accidentali se userai tutti i 180 gradi disponibili.
    Stavo per dirti che non mi piaceva l' angolazione in cui avevi messo i motori nei primi disegni ma vedo che hai già corretto, nell' ultimo mi sembra molto meglio.
    Anch' io userò motori a 24 volt e sto valutando arduino più mostermoto se ne trovo che lavorio a 24v o velleman K8061 (che @eaorobbie ha promesso di implementare :D) più 3 sabertooth.
    Vedo che alla fine hai usato la thanos 6dof + sabertooth.
    Possibile che i tuoi motori assorbono solo 3 ampere, mi sembra un po' pochino:think
    Per il momento complimenti, attendo gli aggiornamenti:thumbs

Nice project, I'm working on somthing like that and maybe you steal any ideas to end :grin
    the scheduleon system with only one motor swict I've tried it on 2 dof to protect pot and it worked perfectly.
    You can also file a bit more and operate the 200-220 degrees before you open the circuit so avoid accidental openings if you use all 180 degrees available.
    I was going to tell you that I did not like the angle in which you put the engines in the early drawings but I see you have already corrected in the last seems much better.
    I will use 24-volt motor and I'm considering more arduino monster moto if you find at 24v or velleman K8061 (which @eaorobbie promised to implement) plus 3 sabertooth.
    I see that you used the thanos 6dof sabertooth.
    Possible that your only 3 ampere incorporat engines, it seems a little bit :think
    for now, congratulations, I look forward to updates:thumbs
  8. berty

berty Member

Balance:
    164Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Nice project, good work. :)
  9. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
  10. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Guys Back again should of check the photos before hitting the Post Button D'ohhh
    DSCN2528.JPG
  11. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DSCN2583.JPG DSCN2587.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
  12. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    At the moment the setup is just to learn how to talk to the Controller Via X-simulator and Ians BFF software . The Levers , Rods And Top Frame Need to be Made as well , so ignore the Plastic & Wooden Actuator Arms in the Pictures , They are just there to check working clearances etc and If the system goes Loopy then they will break before doing harm to the Motor/ Gearboxes ... so in a nutshell ( Small Nuts like this Wannabe LOL) Its 6 Electric Wheel chair drive units ( all same Spec 110 Rpm, 3 Amp Motor least that's whats on the Nameplate) , 3 x Sabertooth Motor controllers , 3 Kangeroo Interfaces, 3 x 30Amp PSU's with Car batteries for Regenerative load Protection, ( will be changed for Server PSUs) , 6 x 180° Rotation Hall Sensor Pots,, X - Simulator Software for testing ref Other 2 DOF Car Race Sim ( for my Boy ..well That's My excuse anyways ) and Ians BFF Software which will be the main Software on the 6DOF Test Unit and off one Car racing sim and my MS FSX, Not looking for all out cockpit type of sim , im realalistic enough to know Santas gonna have to be real nice to me to get the full dream or some numbers on the Lottery LOL ( what was that about being realistic ? ) DSCN2553.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  13. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Back again , a lot of this project will be about finding out what works and what is not practical, so as I mentioned I still have to , learn how to calculate the Motor Torque etc Max Power unloaded and then with my 95 Kilo butt precariously perched on the Top Platform to see if the dam thing moves LOL... If I achieve this then a lot of possibilities become attainable .. oh oh and if haven't said so already , "Thanks to ALL you guys here" for even getting me this far, this forum ozzzes inspiration Cheers Crew
  14. paulg100

paulg100 Active Member

Balance:
    1,393Coins
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
  15. NjMotion

NjMotion Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    Hello wannabeaflyer.
    With the engine cranks 10cm can it much. I used the wipers 3.5cm. With 5cm was not very accurate.
    Your engines are much more powerful but the reduction is less (110rpm).
    I wish you well, I will be attentive to your project.
    Luck !.
  16. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi, its nice to see a few more DC 6Dofs coming out of the woods. Recommend you do some load tests on those motors to see what they can reliably support. All the best in your build.
  17. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    cheers for the constructive feedback guys that what i missed while away,as the motors seemed such good value i just had to give it a try for the 6 DOF ,i figure if all else fails they can be used for Seat mover sims, so nothing truly wasted. Hi Seatime i will do some load tests once the upper platform has been made possible this weekend if Paragliding weather is crap... thats the reason i went missing . now a qualified Paragliding pilot so the Air is where i try to be most weekends , But having checked back in here, and see great work being done i thought i could contribute something and finish what i started.. will not go missing this time till this puppy works :) ....Merchan E your project was a major factor in me trying the design and make this project and i got a load of inspiration looking at the detail you posted , so im glad to hear your still around :) .. i guess were all after the same thing even though we know it will never be cheap , but the goalposts are moving in our favour by the day, so one this leads to another and with all the great ideas you guys so freely give , im sure between us we will nail this ,, big shout out to silent chill another wicked "see i told you it could be done! Project ... Cheers PaulG 100 i'm guessing you have a valid point and seeing as this is a sortta suck it and see stage , many lessons will be learnt so thanks for the input and keep it coming . would be awesome for us if that motor got close to Marchan E's demo ..like i said were all moving in the right direction thats for sure :)

18. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Opps again for got to say that once the initial power up and communication with Simtools and Ians BFF 6 Dof software is done , and some basic load and speed testing is completed then each module will be rebuilt more robustly and wiring will be Routed under each module , Control cards will have fans & ventilation and enclosed to protect them LOL ... watch this space ,,, The Mk 1 Version wont be pretty guys but should determine if this approach "has legs" as they say
  19. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    hi guys minor update , Just finished the top Platfoem of my 6DOF project and will be making the Spacers for The Rose Joints (to increase the working angles) tomorrow, IT is already apparent that i will have to Go for 10-12 mm Joints , but as i mentioned this is the suck it and see phase so that will be filed under lessons learnt , Hoping to Connect PC to Actual Platform today and without the Blue smoke syndrome and burning electronics smell.. fingers crossed guys as im still cutting Limit switch Cams on my CNC machine today as well ( getting excited and Nervous as well ) ... Shout out to Silent Chill, i may have missed it but could you say what size rose joints you used for your project ...sorry if its listed I'm in a sortta "Cant see the woods for the trees" at moment info overload DSCN2602.JPG DSCN2595.JPG DSCN2598.JPG DSCN2601.JPG DSCN2593.JPG DSCN2602.JPG DSCN2595.JPG DSCN2598.JPG DSCN2601.JPG DSCN2593.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
  20. zigzag49

zigzag49 Active Member

Balance:
    704Coins
    Ratings:
    +220 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino