1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Vive Pro announced

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by noorbeast, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Doon1

Doon1 New Member

Balance:
    183Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Being able to read your gauges is pretty sweet. One of the other benefits not mentioned is the fact that you can run with a much lower level of SS; allowing you to turn on more eye candy.
    I tried out and passed on both the Rift and Vive. Bought the Odyssey and knew 5 minutes in that it was a keeper. I imagine the Vive pro will be the same. but with lighthouses to set up.
  2. Blame73

Blame73 Albeit it does move!

Balance:
    7,926Coins
    Ratings:
    +904 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    You'll use a smaller ppd (or SS) because you start with an higher resulution, but in the end the number of pixels that your gpu has to render it's almost the same, so I won't be much optimistic on being able to turn on more eye candyness (with the same hardware)
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Vive Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,724Coins
    Ratings:
    +587 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @Doon1 - Lighthouses are trivial to set up. Only takes a moment and unless you move them, only needs to be done once. Setup step takes longer to explain than to do. I’ve only set up a DK2 in Rift land but would guess that it’s also trivial for the Rift. The WMR headsets use inside-out tracking which is more complex computationally and introduces more latency in tracking than either Constellation or Lighthouse. That’s the trade off.

@Blame73 - But if rendering at the display resolution, you do lose the subsampling step. Don’t know how much that adds to the process but I’d bet that rendering at the Pro/Odyssey resolution is going to be expensive enough that it will take Volta or Ampere to get back to supersampling again. I can't wait! :thumbs
  4. Blame73

Blame73 Albeit it does move!

Balance:
    7,926Coins
    Ratings:
    +904 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    I'll update (from scratch) my hardware just when the new VR gen is released, and it's not going to be cheap...
    Until then I'm keeping my 1070 and the 4670k (maybe a 4790k that's the max my MB can handle).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Vive Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,724Coins
    Ratings:
    +587 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Yeah, VR is an expensive treadmill to be on if you go for the edge. But it’s so damn cool! I’m really hoping gen 2 uses eye tracking and foveated rendering to kind of hold a line on computer requirements. Brute forcing it is tough. I think we’re now at the point where VR will need those kinds of things to overcome the bandwidth limits updating the displays and calculating the images or else it’s going to be really tough to keep advancing after the Pro.
    • Agree Agree x 4