1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Vista? Cockpit for SCN5 dual-purpose somehow?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by mikemav, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mikemav

mikemav New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi- great info here! I've been reading and reading getting ready for my first build. Two basic questions, sorry if I missed these elsewhere: does the X-Sim software run well yet on Vista (32 bit)? I use Nvidia 3DVision stereoscopic 3D for rFactor (and am hooked on 3D in 1080p on my 60 DLP RPTV!) However, the Nvidia 3DVision only supports Vista. So before I build my second cockpit based on a motion-based 2DOF plan similar to those here, I need to make sure I understand the Vista situation.

Which brings me to my second question. I want to build a platform from 80/20 extruded aluminum like many you see here, and have several ideas and lots of info. I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way, just hopefully not too many. My question is, once I get this done, and say I use braces for now to keep it stable until later I graduate to getting some SCN5 actuators and tackling X-Sim (if Vista compatible)- then, once those are on there, can I still safely drive in the cockpit using a console or some non-X-Sim supported PC title? What happens to the stability and safety of the actuators when you're not using them, but still using the seat? Does it lock up somehow or still gimble free? If it does lock so it's stable when no X-sim software is in action, playing GT5 on the PS3 or Forza III, etc...., that's great. If so, does the PC need to be on and awake to keep it locked in place, or how does that work?

Thanks, looking forward to learning more.
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to the X-Sim forums. :cheers:

I have been running X-Sim on Vista 32-bit successfully for many months now on two different PC's.

With regard to using your seat while not using X-Sim, I do it all the time. As long as your actuators are powered, they will hold their centered position firmly. The PC does not need to be on.

Finally, we are recruiting Team X-Sim drivers to race with us on the Team X-Sim racing server. We are currently running rFactor and the EuroCup Megane Mod v1.1. You are welcome to join us anytime for a quick race.
  3. mikemav

mikemav New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info!