1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Virtual Tabletop Games Control Center

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by Historiker, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    So recently I discovered virtual tabletop software that allows for the play of pencil and paper RPGs over the internet. I have always wanted to try Dungeons and Dragons and so I jumped in with both feet not bothering to look below me. And I love it. I have been running several games a week as Dungeon Master (DM) and it is a blast.

At first I used my home office 30" 2k monitor but needed more space. I added another 30" 2k monitor and then two 24" 1080 monitors in portrait and then I got the bright idea to take all the monitors off my static F-16 Viper simpit and create a Dungeon Master Control Center.

IMG_20190812_162923297.jpg

The monitors are:
    Center - 43" 4K (FG)
    Center Left/Right - 24" 1080 Portrait (FG)
    Outer Left/Right - 32" 1080 Portrait (Adventure PDFs)
    Bottom Center - 22" 1080 (Group Video Feed)
    Bottom Left 20" (Discord)
    Bottom Right 19" (Other)

IMG_20190812_163023431.jpg

Faux Stone peel and stick wallpaper from Amazon

The torches are flame LED bulbs in DIY torchs. A couple of cheap lamp bases from Walmart, inverted, bases bored at an angle to hold the rod and garden candle holders inverted with the bottoms cut out.

Dungeon Mission Control small.gif

Custom laminate counter top with cherry wood edging ( having a small cabinet shop comes in handy).

IMG_20190812_163016215.jpg

Engraved signage - MDF painted black base grey drybrushed and the corners burnished with an edge sander.

IMG_20190812_163036074.jpg

Kneedmore DakkaDakka My first Player Character Kill [​IMG]

IMG_20190812_163046998.jpg

A couple of pieces of stained poplar to simulate roof supports.

PC:

i5 6600
    16 GB Ram
    500GB SSD
    2@ GTX970s

The system is capable of pushing 10 monitors (Four on the GTX's and two on the motherboard) but with that many monitors it is moving from utility to just plain silly...um...yeah...and this is not silly at all....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    You triggered a flashback to the 70's man but what a great trip :cool:!
    • Agree Agree x 1