1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

VFD's and 3phase Induction motors FAQ corner / pls. Read all first

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by speedy, Dec 23, 2013.

1. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I hope I can make it too ... Thanks .

what is your motor ratings again ? do you still have that photo of the nameplate ?

but as a start the GS2-21P0 is more than enough for a 1HP 3phase motor .
    Untitled.jpg
    1Untitled.jpg

In general it is importent to choose the device input voltage that matches the power grid ratings ... for Tom live in the USA they spare the 230v for the heavy loads ...
    note also that as per the input current stated for the single phase 230V is 11.5Amps per wire so as the output 3ph wires is 5Amps per wire ... that helps calculating the wires ratings to be used .

and as base line current calculation ... 1mm solid copper wire can hold 3amps & for the twisted copper holds 4 Amps ... wire thickness calculation is done for 120-130% of the actual passing current
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If your motors rated to run 230V 3ph ... So why not the GS1-21P0 ... why more when less is very good ?

see all the wiring are here classified in AWG stander

Attached Files:

• ch2.pdf
      File size:
      584.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello Speedy,
    Thanks for the informative reply.
    IN reply #23, of this topic, (way back) you have a picture of my motor - It's the Automation Directs' - MicroMax Inverter Duty, 1 HP - 230V 3Phase - I DO remember sending you a pic of my name plate - WAY back, with what I was tentatively use in way of VFD - (thought it was in this topic, but I can't find it) - You sent back and said my equipment was "great" and I would have no issues with what I had purchased.
    I will be more than happy to send a photo again if you need one?
    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...25_-_100HP)/Marathon_MicroMAX_(0.25HP_to_10HP)

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...00HP)/Marathon_MicroMAX_(0.25HP_to_10HP)/Y364

ON THE VFD'S -
    IF you are giving your "blessings" for the GS1-21P0 versus the GS2 / or / the Sensorless GS3 Series - Then that's what I will go with. "ME" thought that in reply #79 , you said the Sensorless would have advantages - maybe I misunderstood - I just want the best - That WILL do the job - I definitely don't need 12 cylinders to go just 30 mph.

Let me know and I can proceed with purchases.

Thanks so much for your help and information.

Have a blessed one.

Tom
  4. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  5. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Speedy,
    Reply to your questions in reply #84

The motors/gearheads have already been purchased for over a year and a half. They match my Boston Gearheads - as far as H.P. input, and the required motor speed of 1725 - 1800 rpm.....
    Inverter duty for long life - insulation is different inside to accommodate the constant change in directions.
    It was NOT about the expense - it was getting matching sets of motors/gearheads, inverter duty...............and what I paid for them, NEW, was just a fraction of their retail price...
    3 motors for less than the price of one, listing at 270.00 US. - AND, they are just a power house - really a little overkill - BUT, I would rather have too much HP than not enough.

Where are we at on the VFD's - I'm sure you saw your "quote" -
    PLEASE leave the $$$$$$ out of the equation - IF, and only IF, the sensorless would be better for me - then that's what I will go with.......IF, in MY application, sensorless would not play any part
    or would not help, then I'll go with one of the other ones you are suggesting. I just don't want to buy "anything that will work".....I am set on buying the best, NOW, and not worrying about having
    to update later on.....when "we" get this rascal of a sim platform DONE, I just want it to run, run, run, run, with minimal involvement and constantly having to "fix" something - or change something,
    or up-date something..........know what I mean friend........

All of the above statements based on: ACCURACY AND REPEATABILITY!!!!!!!!

Let me know your thoughts so we can put this one to bed..........you have so much more to share with all of us...just don't want to bog this down..

Thanks so much Speed - and to all.
    Have a most blessed one my friends,

Tom
  6. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    that statement was in @FarmBoy reply No 78 page4

which is quoted and corrected in the next reply No79 page 4
    as I quoted the correct answer for our case from the same page he has provide ...
    and provided a simple Yahoo answer for your question with important bold lines and the link to its page .
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Speedy,
    I apologize for the "mis-quote" - I have re-read and I misunderstood what was being said and what was being clarified......DUH!!

OK - Sensorless is out - "me" have wrong kind of motors for proper use of a sensorless VFD...........done deal!

Do "you" see much difference in the GS1 & GS2 Series - "for my purposes"......I've looked at and cannot tell what the differences are - but I'm sure there are -
    Have all my other stuff - Just have to get the VFD's - and then the SimAxe Boards or whatever we're going to use, and that should "wrap-up" the expenditures for hardware.

Thank you sir and I "stand corrected".

Tom
  8. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Tom ... If you're comfortable with this company and as you say that you can get good prices from them ... Then after reading the online manuals comparing for what we exactly need ... Yes ... That GS1-21P0 Is defiantly the perfect inverter for your platform without any/any kind of leaking in performance and additional fancy options like the removable key bad with memory on the GS2/GS3 series ... in fact combining it with the your Good/powerful motors gearbox you'll get exactly what you've been planing for in good ,smooth ,maintenance free , efficiency , ... so help you God ...

I it has it all and more
    Untitled.jpg
    OOPS ... check on the automatic slip compensation too ... Edit :that is the "internal Rascal " how can I forget it ?:rolleyes:
  9. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Speedy, good ol' bud, EXACTLY what I wanted and "needed to hear""".......you're a blessing to this ol' guy.... THANK YOU!
    AND it's "perfect for my application" - Get's no better endorsement than that - AND I can save some money too....

PS - You probably don't remember (probably do) way back, several months ago when I just started reading your VFD Thread - You had mentioned that a person only has to increase the frequency up to like 85 in
    order to make the "sim" faster - One of the members was saying something to the fact that a VFD had better be able to go to 400 hz, IF you wanted to simulate racing - and your rebuttal was up to 85 would
    get the job done...............that's what I was looking at - of course, both GS1 and GS2 will go up to 400% - no big deal since we'll never have to go that high. NOW, if I have said something "out of context" about this,
    then just blame it on my age and dementia.

THANK
    you for putting this matter to rest. THANK you for all of your help, to ALL of us.

Have a blessed one Speedy.

Tom
  10. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    OK ... Nice feeling indeed ... and to put every thing to bed and make it clear for every one ... I don't like loose ends at least without isolation ... it may cause fire .

Dear @FarmBoy ... here they are talking about adding a feed back card GS3-FB ...

quoted from the below manual file ...
    Between the lines , you may find it is obviously clear that these layers of control are talking about something in common ... which is the speed control algorithm .
    and clearly they want to sell ... they give you the photo of the Feedback card with the RPM meter model ... the type of encoder used is also a very good clue for speed detectors with this digital counter FB card ... they write a Feedback Card in bold ... but not for position control ... May be I see you convinced now .

1Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

Attached Files:

11. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks again Speedy...
    Wow - you and FarmBoy are talking WAY Past my conceptual understanding. These VFD "Rascals" are something else............
    "Me" thinks I'll leave it at "controlling" my platform and not trying to build a clock....I just had NO idea how complex a VFD was....
    You "heavies" are something to behold.

Have a blessed one and hope your feeling much better.

Tom
  12. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Actually No one knows what inside these " Rascals " ... Me know a little ... that is a common thing between all of us ... we just little expert in how making them work ... like my wife "she knows how to operate the washing machine better than me but I know how to fix it ".:grin
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  13. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Any questions about these ? what they do ? why this not that ? ... Or you're out of memory /slowing down option .
    Untitled.jpg
  14. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You're one funny dude Speedy....and yes, you do know more than a little of "how the clock is made".....and a whole lot on how to make them work"......what a plan.

You're lucky - must be your heritage - Here is the US, since the late 80's with the Womens' Lib Movement - Men do know their washing machines very well, plus vacuum cleaners, dish washers, and How to FOLD clothes properly - AND we also are blessed to get to clean then out, clean under them, fix them, and all sorts of stuff - Oh, the progressive society that we live in....

I'm going to bed with a smile on my face - AFTER I put away the dishes.

Tom
  15. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just "saw" your latest post come in.
    Yes, I have bunches of questions, but I'm just tired Speedy. I'm going to Google the parameters you have checked off, and then ask pertinent questions, tomorrow.

And YES, there is one thing I did understand on the check-off list - IT has a 2 Year Warranty!

Talk with you tomorrow. Thanks friend.

Tomm
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You made me look like a monster ... I do in a way many of what you're talking about in a decent with respect and love to help ... but 100% getting things from the market ... On my owned money ... Do you call this lucky ? :( ... all what we get back is "thank you darling " ...

And I'll make you smile ...
    women are funny ... they 99% ask you to bring home supplies ... when they want you to 1% take ... they say take this TV to be fixed ...
    have a good night ...
  17. FarmBoy

FarmBoy New Member

Balance:
    472Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    Now this is fantastic! Great replies!

Honestly, I only had a short amount of time to read through your manuals. There are so much information here and i am not able to read everything right now.

Some memo's to myself here for when i come back, but please comment on these if you want/can.
    1. Sensorless VSD's are for speed control and not postitional control. That is without the feedback card mentioned in #90.
    2. The drive mentioned in #93 seems like a normal V/F drive. How much torque is actually required?

Speedy. I saw a pic of your sim. Great stuff by the way!
    1. What VSD are you using? #1 of this thread? If you spoke about this somewhere else, please point it out.
    2. I've noticed external fans on your motors. How warm do you motor get without them? What i mean is can you still touch them with your hand after playing on the sim for a while?
    3. How many poles do your motors have?
    4. This is what i think i know about positional control for this application. Your external controller that is connected to the PC will do the PID and send an analog voltage and the direction of rotation to the VSD. Practically you start to accelerate in the game, the control board compares position feedback from the crankarm with the new setpoint received from the PC, the controller the determines the change, sends a calculated analog voltage to the drive (say 2 volts) and a direction (say FWD). The closer the crankarm and therefore the feedback sensor gets to 2 volts, the slower the motor will run until it reaches 2 volts where the motor will then operate at minimum frequency of 0Hz (stop) and wait for a new analog input and direction.

Thanks once more!

Cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  18. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Good morning to all,
    GREAT questions & answers happening here! GOOD STUFF! When this topic and threads come to the end - "me" don't think anyone will have to go look for information on VFD's and their proper use.
    Thanks to all.

@speedy commented:
    NO, you are a "Rascal"! - I was referencing how amazing different parts of the world and husband/wife relationships can be. I know here in the USA, men are finding it more and more difficult to figure out
    our ladies - when we "do" think we have our loved one figured out - dog gone it, they change the rules! You know, it's probably ALWAYS been this way?????

Have a blessed one folks,

Tom
  19. FarmBoy

FarmBoy New Member

Balance:
    472Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    This was incorrect from me, i appreciate you helping me understand why!

100% :thumbs

Your V/F drive will be good for motion control! Can we please go back to #81 though: wire gauge.
    So 1900VA/220VAC = 8.63Amps ,or
    1900VA/110VAC = 17.27Amps.
    What is your supply voltage at home Tom?

Cheers
  20. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    FarmBoy,
    Yes sir - our friend @speedy keeps us "factually" straight - for "me", I'm sure glad someone does!

My Voltage and here in USA, for residential - is 230V Single Phase and of course 115V...
    Will convert the 230V Single Phase input to VFD, will output to motors 230V Three Phase - with three phase, my motor draw will be 1/2 vs. Single Phase...roughly 4.8 amps per motor.

Thanks,

Tom