1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Vacuum forming parts

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by PiaMan, Aug 23, 2017.

1. PiaMan

PiaMan Active Member

Balance:
    607Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN5, Arduino
    I havent posted in a while but i havent seen any discussion on this technique.

I havent used it for any parts on my sim but i made some decals for a yamaha gas tank.

The basic concept is an airtight box with holes on the top and a hole for a vacuum hose (i use a shop vac with an adjustable suction posrt on the hose) and a frame to hold plastic. The plastic goes into the frame and into an oven until hot. The object to be duplicated is placed on the box top with holes and the hot plastic and frame placed over top. The vacuum molds the plastic around the part.

Here is my box and frame assembly [​IMG]

And this is the decal after being formed still in the frame [​IMG]

And on the bike [​IMG]

They are a little bigger than stock but look good. The green plastic i used is from a costco cat litter container. That plastic takes 4 minutes on toast setting in a toaster over. I made the frame to fit exactly into the toaster oven i have in my shop

I put it in 3d printing forum because it goes really well with 3d printing as you can print your part and then copy, cover, make molds etc etc. hope someone finds it useful.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. PiaMan

PiaMan Active Member

Balance:
    607Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN5, Arduino
    Here is one more picture of what i was duplicating. The other badge was missing more than half. If i wanted to be particular i could have used it as a mold instead to get one the exact size but the holes lined up and i didnt mind the slightly over size.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 2